“don't let the drug busts fool you, this place is a dump” 1 of 5 stars

Autolodge Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1313 S Milton Road, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #62 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Prescott Valley, Arizona
“don't let the drug busts fool you, this place is a dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

wow... what a dump. in all respects, we are discussing one of the lowest-end motels in the nation. this hotel ranked right along some of the lowest hotels we've stayed in tiny frontier towns of undeveloped nations where we regularly travel. I'll just highlight a few of the problems: twice police arrested guests and took them away during one-night stay (that, however, was a good thing... as they did not tolerate major criminals and miscreants (just minor ones). continuous noise from drugged out folks (or, perhaps, a just-activated sleeper cell) in nearby rooms and i swear one woman was giving birth over bonanza reruns. the room's main windows looking out on parking lot do not lock (easily opened from outside by our five-year old). When i found the night folks (cleaning up the room in the middle of the night after the drug bust) and asked for a lock, they couldn't find one so i borrowed the little sill-lock from that room. The cleaning woman confided in me that her room's window didn't lock either (from other reviews, it appears that none of the windows close). inspired by the drug dealers and my little kids beside me, I installed my own locking mechanisms on the window (using shower curtain rod). i think that would have allowed me to calm down and go to sleep if it wasn't for the birth next door and the guys above us on speed or meth or whatever. Bathroom window was also permanently open (broken) so we had to use towels to block out the 15 degree cold (i just tried to forget about the easy entrance opportunities... figuring the motel mates would be too wasted to climb up the window given the easy access through the main front one). Exhausted from the repairs, i tried to take a shower and alternatively scalded and froze myself until, dejected, i gave up that one last creature comfort returning to the 40 degree room to sleep. too wet and cold, i decided that the broken thermostat would not win its battle against my family's comfort so i jerry-rigged it to get the heater to come on and after an hour, the room was a downright tropical 60. I will admit that the bed was comfortable but pillow felt like a rock quarry. I might have ventured out for some more blankets but the black ice all over parking lot made me feel like just calling it a night. my uber hard-core wife kept telling me that in El Salvador this would be a palace... i corrected her that in the hinterlands of even El Salvador this place would be more like a tool shed. she slept fine... i stayed up wondering if the meth lab upstairs would blow and if the baby was a girl or boy. all that said, i will say one thing positive about this dump: the guy at the front desk (TJ or something like that) was about as nice a guy as one can find ... professional and calm and willing to help. He also had the cops on speed dial which came in handy a few times that night... and seemed real chummy with them... as it seems the cops were regulars too. My advice: blow the extra 10$ and find a place where you can actually sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We looked at the pictures of the hotel online and couldn't believe the price! The room was nice, the bed was comfortable and they had free wifi & cable. Our window didn't shut but a member of staff came up and put a lock on it for us. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was loud from near by traffic and the bathroom was small. I wouldn't stay here with a family but it is fine for a travelling couple or individual stopping a night. The room was $25 so expect the basics. The guys who are running it now are new and are changing things as quickly as they can.

We were comfortable until we read the Tripadvisor reviews, and although we never experienced anything that bad, the hotel needs to improve the security of the rooms before we would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Huizen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Very dirty and overprised motel. Keep away.
Why is this building still standing?
Evertything is broken, paintless.
We couldn't lock our window.
The staff didn't do anything, only smoking sigarettes outside. Not interested in his customers.
It's a place for junkies and other unreliable people.

The only good thing is that it's next to Starbucks.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

While my wife and I slept, someone broke the exterior window next to the door and attempted to gain entry into our room. My wife and I awoke sharply and I told her immediately to call the cops as I attempted to chase after the native american man who did get away. Cops arrived minutes later and also were not successful in finding the burglar. The manager relocated us to an alternate room but did not ease my wifes worries. The odvious 1 star is not for the horrible bed, yellow not white sheets, lack of towels, potential beg bugs, dirty shower and stained carpet common in these motels but the fact that my wife and mine's safety was at stake warranted a reccomendation to all future travelers to avoid this place at all cost

Room Tip: If you do stay, check the windows and doors to ensure they are secure
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've stayed in plenty of dives over the years. This was one of the worst. There was a big clump of dark hair in the shower drain, the shower door was broken and the water never got above tepid. I took one cold shower but that was it. The furniture was old, beat up and some of it looked like it had been gnawed on. I'm not going back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was probably the worst motel we have stayed at. The blankets and sheets were dirty and smelled of urine. The towels were dirty and looked like they hadn't been washed. When taking a shower, the warm water laster for about 5 minutes, and then it was cold for the rest of the shower. The window was open since it didn't close or lock. Not to mention there were lots of roaches on the stairway outside the room. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! It is definitely not worth the overpriced $80/night, and not a good choice when traveling with children.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

ALL the towels were disgusting you can see the dirt on the towels, they look as if they have never been washed. The sheets on the bed were harsh and static where they did not use dryer sheets or softner. The small window A/C unit did not work we had to purchase a fan at walmart to cool the room down!! Windows didn't lock or have screen on them and the door didn't close all the way. The flooring of the room felt you could fall right through them. Small Parking lot and very disgusting with motor oil everywhere. Also, check out was at 11:00 and the cleaning crew knock and stated check out was at 10:00 and we were rushed to get out of the room. Photos of room or the motel are nothing what it really looks like a DUMP!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Autolodge Motel? Share your experiences!