“Depends on what you are looking for and expect” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The L Motel Flagstaff

You added The L Motel Flagstaff to your Saves list
The L Motel Flagstaff
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   121 South Milton Road, Flagstaff, AZ 86001 (Formerly Rodeway Inn near NAU)   |
Ranked #30 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Minneapolis
“Depends on what you are looking for and expect”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

As other reviewers have noted, this is not a fancy place by any means; in fact it is pretty run down. Things were clean, but both the entry door and the door to the bathroom looked like they had been attacked by hammers... very beat up, and the condition of the outer door was not encouraging when we were thinking about security. We did prop the chair in front of it overnight, although we had no issues.

Beds were fine, linens clean, and the mini fridge worked OK. The bathroom was clean and quite large, although the caulk job was not properly done so I know there will be water problems somewhere. Desk guy was pleasant enough, and efficient, so no complaints there, and you can't beat the price.

Forget about the "continental breakfast" which was a small basket of mini donuts and gas-station-type pastries in cellophane, possibly a pitcher of juice and maybe a toaster (can't recall) and a coffee machine. There is one small, high round table with two chairs, and all of this is in the tiny check-in area, which was blazing hot both at check-in and during the breakfast hours. Instead, head over to one of the coffee houses on Beaver Street, and enjoy your breakfast outside while watching the local scene.

The hotel is easy walking distance to historic old Flagstaff, where there are lots of restaurants. Tip: do NOT try to walk up Milton Road to get downtown; not only is it kind of scary looking in the evening as you approach the downtown area, but it is impossible to cross except at the stoplights on Butler Ave. Instead, cross at Butler, then walk up St Mike's Place, or walk a little farther east on Butler and then head north on Beaver or San Francisco. Several interesting brew pubs on that area; we enjoyed Beaver Street Brewery, but there are a lot of good-looking restaurants in the old section.

In summary, this hotel is cheap and clean enough, and that's the best thing I can say about it. I would NOT recommend it to a woman traveling alone; it just seems too scary.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

First let me mention that there are two Rodeway Inns within about 500 yards of each other, so make sure you are looking at reviews for the right one!

This Rodeway Inn is the old-fashioned, single story, park outside the room kind of motel, which can always be a bit of a gamble, as sometimes the rooms are great and sometimes they are rather tired. This hotel was definitely the latter type!

Normally I don't mind a tired room, but in this case it was a bit borderline. The room felt cramped with a desk that was too big, and the lighting was rather dark and left the room feeling quite dingy at night.

On the plus side, the room was as clean as can be expected -- but with the age of the fittings and fixtures, it's never going to be possible to get them to look truly great.

The room had what appeared to be a large tall heater on one wall, connected to a thermostat which had air conditioning controls but didn't work. Despite playing with the heater controls, I was never able to get it stop putting out a noticeable amount of heat. There was another air conditioner that was completely hidden behind a large chair under the window, which did work -- but only just. I was visiting on a not particularly hot day (given it was July) and was only just about able to get the room comfortable. On a very hot day, I imagine it could be quite unpleasant.

As mentioned, there have been some rather strange renovations done to the rooms, such as some art on the walls that looks new, but most noticeably the ridiculously huge 47" TV on the wall. Given the size of the room this is simply too big, and has been mounted with wires trailing down from it. Personally, I'd rather have seen an old-fashioned tube TV, and the money saved being spent on some fresh paint and updated fixtures.

All in all, there was nothing absolutely wrong with the hotel, and if you need somewhere cheap to stay for a night, I'm sure you could do much worse. However, I would personally spend a little bit more money for somewhere a bit more fresh.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Surprise, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I booked my stay at this hotel thru an online booking site. I paid at that time. When I got to the hotel I was charged again. When I called to have my money refunded the on-line site did not respond. I then called the hotel who asked me for my last name and date of stay and then did everything else for me. The charge was reversed with no further effort on my part. That is how customer service SHOULD be. I had all my receipts and everything ready to prove my case but it proved unnecessary as the hotel did the work for me THANKS! As another reviewer has said the hotel could look better on the outside but the customer service more than makes up for it

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Marquez, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The staff was great at check-in. The location is very close to downtown (walking distance for us) and there is a hugh flat screen TV in the small room. On the down side, a/c was noisy so we turned it off at night only to have the noise from the refrigerator and ceiling fan. We never could get the internet to work even with the staff helping. We use internet a lot when travelling but couldn't get it to work here. Bed was pretty comfortable. Continental breakfast was coffee and juice and bread products, no fruit or even hot water for tea. They seem to be trying to improve and we wish them well as this is a great location.

Room Tip: There's a refrigerator in the room but no freezer. There is a microwave but you would need to ph...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Elsinore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I just needed a cheap room for the weekend, and this is exactly what I needed. Doesn't look like much from the street, but the rooms are nice and clean. Staff was fantastic too, very helpful and nice. Great rates! My only complaint, and it's a small one.. is that it's a little crampt in the rooms (especially the shower) and the shower water heat doesn't go very high. It's definitely warm! but I enjoy a good hot shower. All in all, for the cheap rates.. I say this is the hotel to stay at!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Key west
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was a stop over on the way from grand canyon to scottsdale. I work and manage a premier hotel chain. Therefore I notice every associate interaction. All I can say is WoW. For being a small Inn the check in process was as friendly and as helpful as it could be. The gentlemen exceeded my expectations. He not only made me feel welcome but made an emotional connection with me. The room having free wifi, 47" tv, microwave,fridge and was clean. I would highly recommend this location. Rhodeway inn flagstaff keep it up!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
ZP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Good quite hotel, wonderful nature around the hotel, good breakfast. Location in the centre of Flagstaff

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The L Motel Flagstaff? Share your experiences!