“Inexpensive and clean” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Phoenix, Arizona
“Inexpensive and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family has stayed here a number of times, most recently in January. To put everything in perspective, for the most part, we only stay at this property when there is a significant price difference between this and the other Marriott properties in Flagstaff, at times, $30 or more and when we know we will not need a lot of space. When the rates are comparable, I stay elsewhere.
When viewed that way, should I have the same expectations for this property? Probably not.
Starting with arrival at the hotel, instead of entering the hotel from the front, main entrance, is easier to enter from the back. The driveway off of Milton is steep, narrow and of course, not straight. It is worse when there is ice, but too many drivers drive down the middle when the drive is dry so we never use the front entrance. We prefer to turn onto S. Meadows, then make the next right (which has a dead end sign) it is behind the CoCo's. The street name is S. Beaulah (may not be spelled exactly right). Follow it around and you end up at the front door.
The hotel appears to be very old, but the staff seems to do a good job keeping everything clean. It could definitely use an overhaul, but in my opinion, it requires more than a facelift. The carpets throughout are old, but again, always clean. Our room was on the 3rd floor and when we walked in our room,the armoire shook. There were 3 of us, one young boy, not being boisterous and the other 2, just average size adults. The hallway seemed to have some waves. New carpets will not fix either of those.
Everything about the hotel is small. The luggage carts are kept outside, except when hoarded by occupants. I think this is due to there being no spare square footage inside. I have yet to decide if it is easier to deal with luggage with or without the cart since the entry to the elevator is the size of a postage stamp. And they crammed vending machines on the stamp! We have actually had to back the cart back into the hall because someone was trying to come off the elevator with luggage as we were waiting to get on. I know that does not sound like a big deal, but there is one elevator and by the time you finish musical chairs, the elevator is gone.
Keeping with the small theme, the rooms are tiny. Again, ours have been clean and I have never found any surprises, but don't count on having room to move around. I was not aware that a sink, toilet and bathtub could occupy such a small amount of space, and there is almost no room for toiletries. If you include the top of the toilet tank, you might have a total of one square foot.
The breakfast is the same breakfast you will find in any Fairfield, but, the breakfast room is tiny. We have found it is easier to send the husband down with something to put in the truck (because you will not get a cart) then he eats his breakfast downstairs. When he is done he gets breakfast for the rest of us and we eat in the room.
All in all, will I stay again, yes. As I mentioned before, we stay here when the price is good and we don't need to "spread out", for example, I could not imagine trying to stay here while skiing, unless of course there is a significant price difference, then I would have to figure it out!
Almost forgot to mention the fresh fruit at the front desk, sometimes individually wrapped apples! I don't know where they come from, but each one I have ever picked up has been great.
I have never encountered a member of the staff who was less than pleasant. Everyone has always been friendly and attentive.
Although my review seems to be full of negative comments, I did rate the property higher than many might agree with because, as previously mentioned, the price is much lower and as tiny as the rooms may be, everything is always clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stopped here en route to Santa Fe. Terrific location, close to main highway, comfy and reasonable room, Good breakfast, with hot items, lots of fruit and yogurt too. Staff very friendly. One drawback, the wifi connection was slow in our room on the second floor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Part of route 66 trip.

Friendly welcome, very busy hotel, Prior room choice accepted, Rather dated accommodation and hotel, but clean and comfortable rooms. Quiet. Wi fi, parking. Breakfast quite good, but lack of seating for number of guests, Plenty of valuable information available for Grand Canyon and surrounding areas, Only one available computer and that very close to reception and need to stand up to operate, Short drive to downtown,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We searched Expedia etc. for a hotel, there are lots of them all competitively priced, and this one was marked as 25% off on same evening stay. Rather than book online we drove up asked for a king, with AAA discount or whatever, got it for less than Expedia/Priceline. Lots of parking, very clean and quiet, recommend.

Stayed March 2013
Herriman, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This motel is located well away from the all-night railroad blasts along the Burlington/Santa Fe main line in town, which is a major advantage. The staff is friendly and cooperative. In season, the outdoor pool is pleasant, located under a canopy of Ponderosa Pine trees.

I have been staying here occasionally for over 20 years, and the facility is showing signs of aging and an outmoded design. Once, this was one of only two or three motels in this part of town; now, there is an abundance of other, newer choices in the same area.

It is still a good choice for someone on a tight budget, though, and it would be a better choice than ANY motel along or near Santa Fe Avenue, which goes along the railroad's main line.

Room Tip: The third floor facing west or north is relatively quiet and looks out into a grove of Pondersa Pine...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I just spent 4 days and nights at the downtown Marriott in Riverside, Ca. It was expensive + they charged 13 bucks a day for internet, 8 bucks a night to park and 4 bucks for a cup of coffee. Gip joint. I said I'd never stay in another Marriott, but, I had this one reserved and paid for. IT IS OUTSTANDING. GOOD RATE. FREE INTERNET AND PARKING. FERT BREAKFAST. Desk clerk, Erick, asked me if I had s room preference. I told him about mt lousy experience in Riverside and said, "Just make me happy." He put me in a beautiful room on the third floor with a fantastic view. Erick, saved the day for Marriott. I've changed my mind, I'll be back. THANK YOU ERICK!!

• Stayed March 2013
Apache Junction, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Very happy with my stay. I stayed 2 nights and was very pleased with the room in every regard. Room was clean, bed was comfortable and the included breakfast was very good. The hotel pays close attention to guest security requiring a room key to operate the elevator as well as entering the building after 10pm. I felt the value I received for the price paid was exceptional.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Fairfield Inn Flagstaff? Share your experiences!