“Bad management & customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Flagstaff Grand Canyon KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
Flagstaff Grand Canyon KOA
You added Flagstaff Grand Canyon KOA to your Saves list
5803 North US 89, From I-40 Exit 201, 1/2 mile North US 89 to Page, Flagstaff, AZ 86004   |
London
“Bad management & customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My friend has already written about our experience but I would also like to say how unhappy I am with the management at the Flagstaff KOA, particularly Janyel Thompson.

We were sat in our hire car on our own camping pitch when an RV drove into the back of us and scratched our car up. The manager Janyel looked to be directing the man driving the RV and despite seeing that we had been hit by the RV proceeded to tell us to move our car over to the other side of our pitch so the RV could park up tight alongside us on the tent site. She then vanished before we got out of the car.

We found her at the campsite office where there were several other members of staff manning the quiet desk. She denied that she was directing the RV despite the RV driver saying the complete opposite. Either way, she should not have runaway from the site of an accident without checking that her customers were ok. She expressed absolutely no concern for us whatsoever.

We have since seen many other complaints about this campsite as it's very cramped. The manager herself even said that these kind of accidents happen all the time.

Apart from this experience, the campsite itself is actually a nice KOA set in beautiful surroundings. Just make sure you have your insurance details to hand if you do decide to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Parked in our tent site, the manager (Janyel Thompson) guided an RV straight into the back of our hire car.

She asked us to move after the incident occurred, then promptly left the site.

We of course moved our ridiculously expensive hire car and got the drivers insurance details but actually had to go find our witness to take hers. As a manager, she should be concerned about all of her customers  and should have hung around until everything was sorted. She went back to the office where there were at least 4 other staff to look after it.

She is adamant that she wasn't guiding the RV and that they aren't actually allowed to do that but as the driver said, she was guiding him, and  it was herself who asked us to move so that he could get in.

The point is, whether she was guiding him or not, she was a witness to the accident and as a manager should have been more readily available to help.

The campsite itself is nice, good location, great views, lots to do for kids etc, but as our 9th kOA campsite, this is definitely the largest with the smallest spaces for each site, so more care should be taken and more help given to drivers of RV's. The manager herself has said it happens all the time so where was our warning? Why were we not asked to move before we were scraped if the manager was actually there watching the drivers every move?

We are now used to the American standard of service here where the customer is always right but the management here seems to be more concerned with not taking any blame for what was really partly a fault of hers.

Stay here if you want ease as a child friendly campsite but if you want good customer service don't bother.

• Stayed June 2013
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stopped here last month on our way home from a trip! Upon pulling into the facility a man in the vehicle behind us became very inpatient and rude! The staff heard him speak inappropriately towards us for no reason! He was potentially intoxicated and extremely belligerent! Despite ignoring him he continued to be a irate towards not only myself but the staff! He then claimed that he would be bringing in a lot of business to them despite this they refused to allow him to stay on the property because of his behavior! It was a very uncomfortable situation but they handled it perfectly! Our stay was wonderful the kids enjoyed all the amenities and our site was easy for us to pull into with a 40 foot motorhome towing a trailer with a Jeep! We plan to stay there again very soon! It is a bit snug getting in and out but with a little RV experience it's absolutely doable!

Room Tip: When making a reservation with a large rig just talk to the staff and they will make sure and get yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed at dozens of koa campgrounds and generally find a acceptable level of service.
However the koa flagstaff is an exception. I booked a pull thru rv site with water and power, what I got was a tent site. There was no water on the site. So I was required to run a fifty foot water hose thru the center of the site to connect to water on another site. I thought that the campground had provided the water hose but when I return late in the evening . I found that the hose had been disconected and I was told to buy a fifty foot hose from the camp store.

The site was no wear near level and sloped over a foot from the front to the back of the site and over six inches from side to side.

The wifi service was terrible and would come on and go out every few minutes. It would take over a half an hour just to open a email.

It appears this koa has never heard of the Americans with disabilities act as none of their bath rooms or other facilities are accessible to someone with a disability ( I am mildly disabled).

In short stay somewhere else if you have a rv.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Glendale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent a week here. The location was perfect for all of our activities. There are issues with the campground sites but the website described them well and they offered blocks to help level. It was worth it to be at the base of the mountain. When I made the reservations the staff was very friendly and did share lots about the campground. This was not true of many of the people that were there. What we did not know what that this campground is used by large international groups that come thru for a night or two. Lots of partying – the management did little to fix it. We were right next to the bathrooms and had noise all night long. When we tried to address this with the staff we were told the group was warned but really there was nothing they could do about it. The website had mentioned lots of kids activities – when we asked about them we were told they did not have the staff nor could they afford to do them every day (some they never did at all). Every time I went into the office the attitude was that I was bothering them. When I asked about the late check out (which I paid for) the staff would not even speak to me. The office staff did not seem to care. They parked their cart in the middle of the road blocking all ways in and out of the main entrance. At one point there were six of us waiting on the cart to move so we could get in or out. When I asked to have it moved I was told he was busy and would get to it eventually. I did speak with (who I think was) the manager about my experience and some of the reasons people were leaving. The response I got was “99% of the people here don’t care about anyone else but themselves.” This person was burned out – came across as angry. They need to get out of the office and go meet with the families that are staying there. We met wonderful people that shared food, stories, and help. I did try to follow-up with the manager again after I returned home – with no response. My family will go back to the KOA Williams next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit in 8 days. We have stayed here many times on trips out of town to distant locales or visiting Northern AZ. Most visits have been uneventful even though the campground is tightly packed. Last week we reserved a spot for today and were shown a specific location where we would stay. Upon arriving we were assigned a different spot that was too tight for our RV + tow vehicle to turn in to, plus the sewer and water/electric were on opposite sides. After much wrangling, we were able to fit into the site and then discovered the anomalous hookups. After explaining that 1) this was not the site we paid for and 2) we could not have a full hookup without the sewer going upstream, we demanded to be placed in our original location. The person at the counter agreed we had been assigned another site but "tough". No one at the facility was willing to help resolve the issue.

We are experienced RV'ers, and have stayed at KOAs across the US and Canada. We will not be stayin at the Flagstaff KOA again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at KOA Flaggstaff/ Grand Canyon in late may after driving down from the Grand Canyon. After paying the overpriced fee, we pulled into our designated spot. The spot we were given was poorly marked with arrows pointing left and right. The spot to the left had chairs and hose on ground. Assuming it was taken we took the arrow right. After all hook ups done and in bed... We were awoken at 1030pm, by another trailer demanding the spot. We had to wake up, drive around the campground in pitch black, clear the site next to us and re-hook in there.

The next morning when explaining the situation, the Manager Response was "It is my campground and I don't get confused about the site markings".... Not even sorry or we apologize for the inconvenience....

I was shocked by this response. We have been camping for 2 weeks, 1500 miles, from Yellowstone to Phoenix. Throughout the whole trip we have had no problems and no "confusion" until we arrived here.

The KOA Flaggstaff/ Grand Canyon Campground was our last overnight stop. It was a pity that such a wonderful vacation had to have a sour ending.

Avoid this campsite at all costs!!!

There is a wealth of campsite options in & near Flaggstaff (along route 89 & Route 66). Stay their for friendly customer service and avoid getting woken up in the middle of the night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Flagstaff Grand Canyon KOA? Share your experiences!