“It's Budget, not the Ritz.” 4 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn - Flagstaff, AZ
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   822 W. Rt 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #60 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Wichita, KS
“It's Budget, not the Ritz.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Here's where we come from: Our priority booking this hotel was value. This doesn't always mean the cheapest accommodation, but I'd be unhappy to pay more for the same or worse services. Also, we've been camping the week before checking in, so any place with warm running water that kept us from the 30 degrees chill outside was good. The avg mid week price for a good room in this area was $150ish. For a good cheap motel was $60-$70. I found this motel on Kayak without checking the TA reviews like I normally do, since we were on the road. The motel is basic and budget. It satisfied our needs. We paid $50 per 2 king bed rooms for one night. The room was clean. I did not find pubic hair on the sheets, the bathroom floor had no hair on it, there was no urine stain on the toilet. There were soap/shampoo/lotion dispensers on the wall. Indeed there was no deadbolt on the door, but the area seemed safe to us. As for the windows, there was a wooden stick that kept it from being opened from the outside. The noise from the highway did not keep me up at night. The two beds were separate by a wall and a door, which would be great for families. The breakfast was mostly packaged danishes, toast, coffee and juice...meager, but I didn't really care. All in all, I was surprised of all the bad reviews here. Isn't this what you expect when you book a hotel of this caliber? We ended up staying a second night, and I checked the pillows for hair and didn't find any. It appears the room was cleaned well. O, and I did not find any roaches like a prior reviewer mentioned. It made me think that the hotel might be under new management since all those poor reviews earlier this year, but the same family has been at the helm for the past 7 yrs. The second night we got a lower rate, and they even provided a 15% discount at a nearby Indian restaurant. I'd recommend this motel for any other laid back TAer who just wants an adequate place to lay down for the night.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

The location is great (right on the RT 66, near the university, and "close enough" to down town"). Once we got in the room, I appreciated the call from the front desk making sure we were satisfied with it. The staff is helpful and made great recommendations for hikes in the area. I've stayed here before and can tell there's a new coat of paint on the walls! Also, the train and RT 66 is near by, but neither kept me up at night.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Only stayed for one night after a visit at the Grand Canyon. Checked in late and left right before breakfast.

I would not recommend this hotel unless someone is extremely strapped for cash.

No deadbolts on doors. Windows can't be locked. We asked the front desk for window stoppers. The best that could be done.

TV remote had to handed in at check in and returned during check out. Need I say more?

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

Stayed here for one night out of desperation since the entire town was booked up. This has got to be one of the worst hotel I have stayed at and I have stayed at a lot of hotels. Here are some highlights:

Staff's attitude: -- Give us your money and get the hell out of here. Here's the key to your hovel.
"What? You don't have hot water either? We are working on it (smirk)"
"Better be out by 10:30 am or... "
The room: "We don't change our sheets. Ever"
The bathroom: "Thank God at least the flush works"
The experience: I felt like Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness after he spends the night in the toilet at the train station. No bath, no shave, groggy since check-out's at 10:30 am and we had had a late night.
Other clientele: "Honey that scary person standing outside our window and smoking is stumbling as if high"

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

BEFORE I START MY REVIEW

LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING THE HOTEL PHOTOS USED ON THE REVIEW BY THE HOTEL ARE FAKE!!! However the ones I've attached are real...

Here is a copy of my letter I sent HQ at Amercias Best Value Inn.

Myself and wife have just returned from a holiday / road trip in and around California. We stayed in nine different accommodations and on one occasion (15th Jan 2010) we stayed in Americas Best Value Inn in Flagstaff.
The evening began strangely after checking into the ‘motel’, when I noticed that the metal balcony upstairs leading to all the rooms was carpeted but outdoors. Surely this is not good for anything apart from muffling the noise of people walking past the room and going rotten when it rains or snows?
Having travelled several hours to reach Flagstaff, my wife went to use the room’s toilet on our arrival. The toilet lid had a paper strap wrapped around it that read “Sanitised”. Before she could use the toilet however she had to remove the “Sanitised” strap and clean someone else’s urine off the toilet seat. Clearly the toilet had not been cleaned since the last visitors had left and the sanitised strap was just wrapped over the lid in a poor attempt to suggest it had been. Even though we were staying in a cheap motel, I would expect a good attempt at cleaning or any attempt would have been better than what we had in that room.
Did I mention the cistern was green and the toilet pan yellow? The colours were just a strange choice, but if it was clean, would have been no problem. We did not dare move the shower curtain to reveal the bath in case something else revolting lay in wait for us there too.
Having noticed how dirty the room was, I thought I would check the bed. I would have attached three photos of part of the bedclothes and pillow that we were expected to use that show three red stains that I believe are blood but I do not have a direct email address for you. I looked under the bed sheet and saw the mattress protector which worn and covered in various body hairs, many of which were of the curly variety. My wife would not allow me to look any further because she intended to sleep in the bed. I chose to sleep on top of the covers fully clothed and wearing a hat to make sure I didn’t touch the bed with my skin.
It wasn’t long before we had neighbours arrive. The neighbours were given a room next to ours on the upper level. We never saw them, but they sounded like they consisted of at least four adults and maybe two or three children including a baby. As the evening went on the children were slamming their door and running along the upper level, vibrating the floor in our room and shouting to each other. Throughout the night the baby was crying loudly for some time on several occasions. We think the adults may have gone out and left the children to fend for themselves.
Our neighbours were not the only noise interruption throughout the night, approximately 100 metres away was the railway line. Numerous times throughout the night huge freight trains shrieked their way past with their screaming brakes, followed by the deafening drone of the horn. Clearly the ‘motel’ did not have any kind of noise insulation despite its location next to a railroad.
I suggested that we left the motel and stayed somewhere else but was reminded that we were not currently wealthy enough to, which was why we were staying there in the first place. My next option was to sleep in our hire car even though it was 29’F outside, I seriously considered this option. If I had any way of keeping myself warm without leaving the engine on in the car and without leaving my wife in the room from hell, I would have done.
We did manage to fall asleep with CNN on TV drowning the noise from the neighbours. We woke several times during the night to screaming children next door, the train's screams and finally woke at 5:30am to a train’s shrieking brakes for the final time. We drove to reception where I pressed the doorbell that claimed to be for night service. There was no reply, so I dropped the door key in the drop box and left.
It was obvious that the room preparation consisted solely of straightening the bedclothes from the previous guests and putting the sanitised strap on the toilet lid. I suspect the dust and general bits of dirt layering the carpet could tell many stories from previous visitors to the room.
In hindsight as soon as I saw the sign in reception that read “No money returned after 15 minutes” we should have run.
I’m delighted to tell you that this experience was the worst we had in America and the following night’s accommodations put our holiday experience back on track so that my wife enjoyed her first visit to USA.

However I can attach photos to this review, so I have. So far, Americas Best Value Inn HQ, immediately replied and told me they would pass my email onto the staff at Flagstaff directly for a reply to me......................I'm still waiting....

I wouldn't go back here if earth froze over and this was the only place on earth with a working kettle. (p.s they didn't have the ability to make any hot drinks either, irony eh!)

I can only recommend going elsewhere, anywhere.......

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Well coming back from california i booked priceline and got the same hotel. Different room this time. Room was clean though no deadbolts on doors. There was a police car sitting in the lot next door, i think they were watching for speeders on route 66. Trains rain all night but not very loud inside of room.

Lots of traffic and lots of seedy hotels in this whole area of route66 but i would say this one looked and safest and i had no problems whatsoever here.

they had a small free breakfast of some cereal , toast and some donut type things in the morning,which was nice and unexpected. coffee very good, all rooms have a microwave, mini refrigerator and if you want internet they will give you a code free to use wireless. small coffee pot in room as well.

not sure why so many bad reviews on this place , its not the hilton but for 22 bucs, i didnt expect it to be!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Nikosangrymom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

It's college drop-off weekend, to find a room under $125.00 for one night is to good to be true... and it was! I should have known that there would be a problem when they display a sign that you have 15 minutes to cancel your room once you take your key. Manager tells me their working on the air-conditioning, "Take it or leave it." "Do we get a discount?" Answer: No. I repeat college drop-off weekend no other rooms in Flagstaff and Sedona. Guy says cash or charge? I say cash, I don't want you having my credit card number. Guy says, "Do you have ones cause I don't want to give you all my ones!" which would have been 3 ones. Guy next to me hands him towels and said we just checked into this room and the towels are dirty, can we have clean towels? We go to the room, the carpet looks black with pink blotches on it but as I look at it again it is a pink carpet with black splotches on it. I could not take my shoes off. If I didn't know that penicillin was created by mold I wouldn't have taken a shower. When I pulled back the sheets and see the bloodstain or whatever bodily fluid it was, I look at my watch, "Damn! I past my 15 minute mark!" As I show my husband the stain I hear these terrible words, "Honey I didn't book this room."

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Flagstaff, AZ? Share your experiences!