“It's better than sleeping in your car, BUT not much” 1 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn - Flagstaff, AZ
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   822 W. Rt 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #60 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Tucson, Arizona
“It's better than sleeping in your car, BUT not much”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

If it wasn't for low class this motel wouldn't have any class at all. We arrived at midnight, freezing cold and our room's heater was not working. The door was tilted, and it's hinges were barely holding it. Cold air was blowing in the room. We dared not touch the blanket. We refused to be discovered frozen to death in this rat hole so we held on for dear life until the sun rose. The only worst motel you can stay in would be the Bates Motel. Believe the reviewers, this is NOT the place for you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this motel in August 2011. To be upfront, the only pro is the price, it is cheap, but believe me, it is not worth it!
The rooms are extremly small, dirty, stinky, smells bad, usually smoking rooms, ugly furnitured, one lamp and a plug were out of order, dirty bed sheets... The breakfast is only dry muffins! But the worst thing: millions of bedbugs! These ugly little [--] have bitten me probably the whole night! I was suffering from this bites for several weeks. That was horrible, I had to see a doctor to get antiallergics! I had to scratch my body all day long - I got crazy!!! So I really don't wish this to anybody else!
Also the stuff was not friendly!
And by the way, there was a power outage during our stay at this motel. I was standing in the shower in the darkness... At least, there was water!

• Stayed August 2011
Grand Canyon Village, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

good for the price, very clean. outdated, but clean all the same. tv, fridge, and microwave all worked well. staff was very friendly. also was only a short walk from the amtrak station. def will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sherman Oaks, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I would've rated this zero stars if it were possible.

So, here's the story: I was out on a road trip a couple weeks ago, and needed to book a motel room for the night of Thursday March 8th. Now, mind you, it was very late into the night already, and technically it was about 12:30AM on Friday March 9th, but I think you and I would both call that Thursday night.

So, I called the national toll free number for America's Best Value Inn to make a reservation at the location on 822 W Route 66 in Flagstaff, AZ. I specified to the woman I spoke with that I would be arriving to this location in about 20 minutes, and that I needed a place to sleep immediately. She said this would be fine and proceeded to take my information, credit card number, and made a reservation for me. I got a confirmation number and everything.

When I arrived at the location 20 minutes later (we're at about 1:00AM early Friday morning at this point), I was told by the man at the front desk that it was too late to be let in to a room. He told me that my reservation was actually for Friday night, not Thursday night. I told him that I specified to the woman on the phone that I needed the room immediately, for Thursday night, and that she said that was fine.

I then asked if he had any vacancies. He said yes. I asked if I could check into one of those rooms. He said no, it's too late, check-in is at 2:00PM. Confused by his refusal of my business, I asked to cancel the reservation so that I could find another motel. He told me that since I booked it through the toll free number, I'd have to call that number back to cancel.

So, I went and found another nearby motel that was willing to accept my business for the night. I then immediately called back the toll free number to cancel (at about 1:15AM). I told the woman that I was not allowed to check in to a room because it was "too late." She said that that was odd, and I agreed with her. She then proceeded to cancel my reservation. Or so I thought.

Now, I did not receive a confirmation email for that cancellation, but I was fast asleep by the time I would have expected such a thing to arrive. I was then out of Flagstaff by about 8:00AM that morning (again, we're still talking Friday the 9th). Now I didn't have much access to my email or the internet over the next few days. By the time I returned home on Tuesday March 13th, I checked to see if the amount for the motel that I wasn't allowed to stay in was returned to my bank account. It wasn't. I decided to wait a few days, as I know these things can often take a several business days.

So, when I checked back a week after the cancellation and discovered that I still didn't have my money returned for a room I wasn't even allowed into, I decided to call about it. I called the toll free number. They told me there was no cancellation in the system. Then they told me I have to call that particular motel directly, since it's past the reservation date. So, I called the motel in Flagstaff and was told that it will take at least a day for him to look through his records, but if he doesn't find a record of the cancellation then I'll have to call the toll free number back. I called him back the next day: no answer. I called back the day after that. He said there was "no reservation in the system," and that I have to call the national reservation number.

Listen, I know you didn't want to read this long diatribe as much as I didn't want to have to write it. This was hands down the worst customer service I have ever experienced from the beginning, starting with the person at the toll free number who told me my reservation would be good in 20 minutes when I arrived at the location. Even worse was the man at the motel who wouldn't let me stay in one of the vacant rooms, couldn't seemingly change my incorrectly made reservation, and couldn't help me cancel it either. Then the person at the toll free number who told me it was cancelled, but apparently didn't cancel it. I was essentially accused of lying about the cancellation. It then took me two weeks getting the run around from five different phone numbers, an online form, and multiple email addresses to actually get a response from a human being that could help me. They are finally returning my money to me.

This is absolutely terrible customer service from the local motel, to the reservation call center, to the corporate office. Stay away from this place. I'll never stay at an America's Best Value Inn again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

For the price it is a reasonable place to stay. If you need somewhere that is cheap and decent conditions than I recommend this place. Its location is good with some dining close by (across the street). The rooms are comfortable and provide what you expect for the price.

Room Tip: Diner is right across the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Albuquerque
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

OK, this is not a luxury hotel and don't expect a swimming pool but the price is really cheap and they leave the lights on. The beds were comfortable and there was plenty of hot water, a small fridge, microwave and ice machine. Good enough if you are looking for a place to stay between Las Vegas and Albuquerque.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Very old hotel, carpet, decoration, furniture, everything is very old. Bathroom extremely small, can only fit 1 person at a time. Eventhough the rooms are non smoking, you can smell it. The soap they provide is liquid, so make sure you bring a sponge. The TV remote was broken and the TV reception was horrible, all channels display a fuzzy image plus you have to get up to control the volume and channels. AC and heater units are separate and very, very old. No phone or alarm clock in the room. The Wi-Fi internet they advertise doesn't exist, they offer DSL and you have to provide your own cable; otherwise, they take a refundable $20 deposit to lend you theirs. The breakfast is the worse ever. The OJ had a very bad taste, mini muffins and apple croissant are a joke (they're individually bagged like they just got them from a Costco package). Bread and butter are very limitted and look old and poor quality. The eating room/area doesn't exist; it's just a dirty, 2 small old benches by the entrance with 3 chairs; in one bench they place all the food, utenzils, pots, etc. To make things worse, I was overcharged for the room, yes I got a refund after 1 week; but it shows how poor their service is.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Flagstaff, AZ? Share your experiences!