“Good...Bad...Great...Mediocre...It's All here under one Roof” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 280 restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: European, French, Café, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Coppa is a European-style cafe/bistro set amidst the mountains of Flagstaff serving lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. While northern Arizona might at first seem an unlikely dining destination for serious epicureans, Coppa Cafe's combination of talent and unconventional procurement methods have set the small, casual eatery atop the "can't miss" list of every discerning foodie from Phoenix to Santa Fe. Choosing to go against the grain of the franchise and chain restaurants often found in smaller-town America, husband and wife owners and chefs Brian Konefal and Paola Fioravanti instead favor house-cured meats, ingredients locally procured from nearby farms and ranches and foraged foods found in the forests around Flagstaff to incorporate into their dishes. Though their procurement methods might seem unconventional for the region, their talents are rooted in tradition, following lifelong culinary careers spent crisscrossing Europe and the U.S., Training under the tutelage of some of the finest and most decorated chefs in their respective countries. As Coppa's tagline states, the tiny, intimate venue offers "a taste of Europe in the mountains of Flagstaff," and the culinary team prides itself on providing just that through balancing local finds with progressive techniques, resulting in an unprecedented, sophisticated and pilgrimage-worthy experience.
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Good...Bad...Great...Mediocre...It's All here under one Roof”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Strange restaurant. They are European in their presentation and atmosphere but the food is as uneven as a Flagstaff street. One visit you walk out saying that was the best meal ever served in Flagstaff, a city not particularly noted for fine restaurants. The next time it was dreadful. Our last visit was the latter description. We were seated right in front of a door at a table the size of a dinner plate and it was 20 degrees outside. Every time someone came and opened the door, they stood there staring inside for an eternity while the arctic air blew in and people on the other side of the restaurant reached for their coats.
But wait...we point out that there are 4 empty tables available out of the maelstrom. No they say, we have to save those for larger groups. So we sat, and shivered. After 45 minutes we still had not been served. Meanwhile a single lady came in, of course stood in the open doorway for a long few seconds and then was told the same thing we were told. So we did the prudent thing. We offered to let her have our table! But instead they showed her to a table for 8 and she sat there all alone, by herself, sola! What's up with that we say? Silence...the Yurruppean sign of who knows what.
Anyway, the special that night was Cassolet straight off the boat from France that docked down at the Rio de Flag. I have actually had that dish, in Paris, Europe, no less,but this did not resemble it in many, many ways. Needless to say, for $25 I ate every slimy bit of it and ended up sick for 3 days! I was constantly reminded of this experience with each successive trip to the john, ur toilette. Sorry to be graphic but...
Several other times previously we had tried to go here only to find it closed. Their hours seem to be only vague suggestions, much like stop signs in Paris and Rome. so I guess Coppa mush be authentic.
In short, you won't know what awaits you until you try it and it is different every time, believe me.
Oh, and the single lady at the table for 8...she sat there for over an hour and thoroughly enjoyed herself. She must have been from Yurrupp.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Boston, MA
“We felt like we were back in Paris”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The restaurant is very small and was always full so we were very glad we made reservations. There were so many wonderful choices it was hard to pick. Everyone loved their food. The service was superb and they seemed very concerned with how satisfied we were. My husband and I decided to split an appetizer but then the soup of the day sounded so interesting and unusual we decided to also split a bowl of that. By the time we finished our cassoulet we were too full for dessert but then we saw the Snow Bowl entry on the menu and just had to have that also and it was well worth it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best salad dresssing ever! Best fries ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My friends and I visited Coppa Cafe thanks to the reviews we read on TripAdvisor. I'm a vegan, so my options were a little limited. I had a salad with the dijon vinaigrette - one of the best salad dressings I have ever had! I asked the owner if they had any vegan-friendly desserts and she suggested the lemon or strawberry sorbet. She suggested I get half and half, since the lemon is very tart. In the end I liked the strawberry best. One of my friends got french fries and I have to say they were the best fries I'd ever had - no need for ketchup! My friends bought some eclairs to go and loved them. I thought the decor was very charming.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Jose, CA
“A taste of Provence in N. Arizona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This place is an exceptional find in Flagstaff. It is genuine French Country Cuisine, as good or better than the restaurants visited in my last trip to Provence. We had the white bean soup special and were thrilled with the taste, texture and presentation. The wife had the Risotto which was stellar, but the real treat was the Wild Boar and home made pasta. I've had game dishes prepared at some of the finest dining establishments in the West and East Coast. This dish did not disappoint, the herbs and spices were a welcome accompaniment to the Boar which could easily have over powered this dish. Although a challenge, we managed to find room for desert. The chocolate lava cake with vanilla gelato was the perfect way to conclude and outstanding meal.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Don't go to this place...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Unless you are prepared for your taste buds to say thank you. The food is magic. Been there a dozen times and every times and am reminded there are worse things to be addicted to.

Visited January 2013