“Something for everyone!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 41 Activities in Flagstaff
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a Tour Planning and Information center. We have daily tours that will show you Grand Canyon Top to Bottom and surrounding area attractions! We also have a Retail Store with Grand Canyon and Route 66 gifts and apparel.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Mesa
“Something for everyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great selection of souviners. Something for everyone. Puzzles. magnets, shirts hats, posters, mugs, calendars..ect.

Visited May 2013

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Awesome Time with our tour guide David”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My girlfriends and I from New York and Florida, respectively, enjoyed a lovely day with David our tour guide. He was knowledgeable and patient (with all the pictures we stopped to take). The tour started before we even moved from our resort where he picked us up! Not only did we get a lesson about the Grand Canyon, but David knew the history of Arizona and beyond. He was great! I highly recommend this tour company and tour guide, David!

Thank you, Tameka, Melanie, Syrrea, Tarsha and Vanessa!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
“Cool trip to the bottom.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We booked this trip as a JEEP tour to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. That's what they advertise and that's what is on their web site video. We went to the Williams AZ store and were told that they upgraded and no longer have jeeps and we would have a nice comfortable ride in their new cruiser coach. Well we got an old van. We politely complained but we got what we got. 20 miles in and 20 miles back in a van with no good shocks. We loved the bottom, the lunch, the stops in Seligman and several on the way down. Our guide Clay was knowledgeable and friendly and appreciated that we appreciated the Canyon and all that was there. On the bright side we did obtain a partial refund for the van ride. They are all friendly and helpful.

Denver, Colorado
“Early Season Tour, Beware”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just returned from a week long trip to Santa Fe, Sedona and Grand Canyon. We tried to book a Grand Canyon tour with a Sedona outfit but for whatever reasons they could not charge to our credit card, even though it was the same card we used the entire week. Ended up booking with Grand Canyon Store out of Flagstaff and was initially quoted a price of $89, which changed to $114, was told there was price change, even though when we arrived at the office there was a placard advertising $89, I should have asked but did not. We took the Grand Canyon tour and were told on the phone that the trip included an IMAX show, lunch (choice of Pizza hut personal pizza, or oriental dish (not very good) and drink, anything else was extra), two stops on the canyon and “we would have the chance to add on a 30 minute helicopter ride if we wanted”. We were picked up at our hotel and went to the local office to transfer to the van. It was 12 passenger van, with 8 customers. Once in the van we were told we were picking up 4 more along the way at 2 different locations. We ended up going to Williams (20 miles W of Flagstaff) for first couple and then 15 miles later with a second couple (that was not ready on time). After leaving Williams we were told that in the “Early Season” Grand Canyon Store combines their regular Grand Canyon tour (no helicopter ride) with the Grand Canyon tour with a helicopter ride ---MEANING that if you choose NOT to do a ride, you “get” to spend at least an hour at the Grand Canyon airport lobby! The tour folks said it would only be 45 min, but the reality is that the ride requires customers to watch a video, then get their communication equip, then get a picture on the ramp, then load and take their ride. At BEST, it takes an hour from the time you park till you load up.

The problem for my wife and I (and at least one other couple) was that we were not told that at the end of our tour we would have to wait at least an hour while one or more (for us there 4 out of 12) take the “30 minute ride”. By the time we arrived at the airport we had already been on the road for about 7 hours and had at least 2 more hours before getting back to Flagstaff.

When I questioned the tour owners (after returning to Flagstaff) about NOT being told about this delay, they responded that we were told “we would have the chance to add a helicopter ride”, I said yes, BUT that is a bit different than being told “if you choose not to take the ride, you will be at the airport for about an hour”, no real response from the tour folks. Upon return I mentioned my dissatisfaction to the owner (wife) and mentioned that I would likely submit a review.

Fast forward to about 8:30pm that evening, I was surprised to get a call from the owner (husband) and he said that he had been told I was going to write a “bad” review of the tour. I replied that I never indicated that I was going to write a “bad” review, I said a review, with emphasis on the way this tour was marketed to me. Both my wife and I enjoyed this tour, especially Jerry (our driver/guide), except the extended delay that we did not know about until about 30 minutes out of Flagstaff (too late to attempt to make any change). The IMAX movie was a pleasant surprise, the meal was marginal, but OK. With Jerry leading (most of the time) at the stops it was very informative, he covered many topics from the trees, to local geology, to animals, and even the history of the helicopter rides – all very informative!!

Would I recommend this tour – yes the regular (non helicopter ride} version. The helicopter is about $190 on top of the tour cost. I probably would have still take this tour, but I would have appreciated knowing about the 1 hour diversion, for anyone choosing to take the helicopter ride.

Suggested questions for tours:

How long is the total tour?

What are the specific stops on this tour?

Are there any other customer pick-ups along the way?

If a meal is included, what is it?

If the tour folks seem to be evasive in their responses, take that into consideration. If you are marketing tours you should know your product. If there are potential negative aspects (food, time, etc.) responses will likely be less specific. This should be a flag.

Visited April 2013
hOrselvr29226, Owner at Grand Canyon Store, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear M.S. from Denver Colorado,

I would like you to know that although you had a good experience overall I am sorry you were displeased with the helicopter option. The tour was designed to extend the helicopter to guest to further enhance their Grand Canyon experience. For many people after seeing the Imax and standing on the rim looking into the vastness of the Canyon it was a nice option. I am a retired helicopter pilot and have flown tens of thousands of people on the tour that you were offered. I know from all of my experiences that had you taken advantage of the discounted rates offered and you too had taken the flight you would have a different outlook. I also realize that a flight over Grand Canyon is not for everyone and for those not flying would be able to see the operation and learn of its history pertaining to Grand Canyon. It is truly fascinating to me how this all came to be. And is unwritten. You would only learn this from my company. None the less for a person who may have no interest in this part of the aviation history of Grand Canyon I can understand you may have felt left out. You may be happy to learn that I have decided to offer this Grand Canyon tour all inclusive with the helicopter as an additional tour and no longer combine the option to add on to the Grand Canyon Tour. As for the Grand Canyon Tour being priced at $89.00, this is available to guests who visit our original website at GrandCanyonStore.com and reserve with us directly.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
“We felt stranded, betrayed and lied to”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We felt stranded, betrayed and lied to.

Read on to learn how this company:
1. Grossly misrepresented what was included in the tour
2. Failed to pre-arrange for part of the tour (local Navajo guide never contacted)
3. Is nothing more than a booking service - They are not the tour operator.
4. Charges you at least $120 to $140 per person more than you would spend if you booked it yourself.

1. GROSS MISREPRESENTATION
a. We were told that we would leave Williams, AZ at 6:30 am and return to Williams, AZ at 5:30 pm. This is not true. The earliest we could have expected to get back (we learned later) to Williams was 7:00 pm but for us we did not get back until 8:30 pm because they forgot to book part two of the tour with the local tour guide. More on that later.

b. We were told that it was "a couple hours'" drive to the marina where we would start our tour. This was wrong. It was almost four hours drive each way.

c. We were told that the boat tour portion would include a ride through marble canyon. Not true. We did get a boat tour but it barely left the marina and it only took us through Antelope Canyon, which was pretty in its own right but was not the same stunning beauty as was represented in the photo we were shown of Marble Canyon.

d. We were told that we would be having lunch in the world's largest floating restaurant. Not true. We were given a box lunch that consisted of a sandwich on white bread, an apple and a bag of chips.

2. FAILED TO PRE-ARRANGE PART OF THE TOUR
a. We were told that the second part of our tour would be led by a local Navajo Indian guide. The agent told us how great this guide is and that he would be playing his pan flute for us as part of that section of the tour. Apparently The Grand Canyon Store forgot to book the time with the Navajo guide and so when we all got off the boat and up the ramp to meet the guide, he was no where to be found.

b. After an hour of sitting around and waiting, our bus driver announced that he was going to cancel part two and take us back to Flagstaff. We all piled into the van and started the drive back. Twenty minutes in to the drive, someone from the Grand Canyon Store called our driver and told him to turn around. They had apparently managed to secure a different guide for the walk through Antelope Slot Canyon. No flute playing though.

3. BOOKING SERVICE - NOT A TOUR OPERATOR
a. The boat tour is not operated by The Grand Canyon Store. We got off the van and boarded a vessel wholly operated by a separate company. The ten or so people that rode in our van were joined by other tourists who drove to the marina on their own and who booked passage on the boat tour separately.

b. The walking tour through Antelope Slot Canyon is not operated by The Grand Canyon Store. This tour and access to this canyon is wholly operated by local Navajo and Sazi tribes.

4. SAVE AT LEAST $120 OR MORE PER PERSON - BOOK IT YOURSELF
a. The savings you can achieve increase with more people because you will share in total gasoline expenses. Also, access fees to the marina and to the Slot Canyon location are "per vehicle" so the more people you have in your car the less you spend per person.

b. The Grand Canyon Store charges $229 + tax per person for this combo tour to Antelope Canyon on the water and Antelope Slot Canyon on land (these two sites are roughly ten minutes apart by car). The cost to do the boat tour alone is $49. The cost to do the Antelope Slot Canyon walking tour is $30. So, for roughly $80 each you get both the experiences but you would need to drive yourself. OK factor in $40 to $80 in gas depending on what you drive and an additional $40 in access fees per vehicle. For us, we figured if we drove ourselves and booked these mini tours by ourselves, we could have done it for $120 each including fees and gasoline for a total of $240 for two. We paid The Grand Canyon Store $480 including taxes for two and the experience was not what was promised.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Had we known then what we know now we would never have booked this trip with The Grand Canyon Store. Especially now since despite ALL these problems the company has refused to refund any portion of what we paid. We will never do business with them again and we hope you rely on this review to make an informed decision about whether you want to do business with The Grand Canyon Store when traveling and exploring Flagstaff, Williams, Sedona or The Grand Canyon.

Here is the link to the boat tour we were taken on. It appears as though if you book online, the cost is only $41.77 each (the pricing on the sign inside the office was $49.95)

Here is the link to the Antelope Slot Canyon walking tour we went on. The price is varies from $36 each to $50 each depending on how long you want your tour to last and what time of day you go. http://www.antelopeslotcanyon.com/tours/antelope.html

Visited March 2013
The Antelope Canyon tour was an awesome full day package to include Antelope Slot Canyon with a Navajo guide, and a boat tour into Antelope Canyon from Lake Powell. This tour doe's visit the worlds largest floating restaurant and doe's include a lunch. The lunch includes a deli sandwich with all the dressings , chips, fruit, and a desert snack, along with drinks. It is served as a box lunch to allow guests to later take it onto the boat if they choose. For reasons still unclear to us this guest became very loud and unruly causing a disturbance to the other 10 guests which included young children, all prior to even arriving to Antelope point. After arriving and taking the boat tour portion of Antelope Canyon it worsened with profanity that could be heard by other guests. This was when I received a call on a Saturday afternoon from our guide telling me the guest was demanding to be brought back. I am sorry this guest had a terrible day and felt he was held hostage. The other guests were interviewed and found to have an awesome day. This tour has been discontinued due to the collapse of hwy 89 until further notice.