“Friendly with huge breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Friendly with huge breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed a week and had a huge room which was expertly cleaned and tidied each day. It was in reasonably good condition, with no stains. The front desk young women were very helpful. There was a wonderful cheery girl working on the breakfast and the man worked tirelessly to clean and refresh everything. What a big job he had with all the Americans leaving mess everywhere! I felt that he should have an assistant. The breakfast had extensive choice but for us as New Zealanders used to fresh, organic breakfasts it was a real eye-opener to see all the USA people eating such fake food. the cereals seemed to be mostly sugar. Thank goodness they had nice natural porridge, although the almonds and walnuts were to us strangely dry and tasteless. I suspect this was not the hotel's fault. There were other nice toppings provided. The eggs were nicely done but pale and tasteless compared to our New Zealand eggs. My husband liked the sausages but to me they were salty and oozing fat. they were very popular though so I guess I am spoilt with my organic, home kill sausages in N.Z. Everyone seemed to be tucking into heaps of food. There were bagels and croissants and muffins and cinnamon bread- it was endless! It was summer and the place was very busy at breakfast which I found very hard, coming from a small peaceful country. I think they need to make the breakfast period longer to make it a nicer experience at peak times. that is my only negative really. American children seem to be generally untamed and loud. the dogs were all very well-behaved. I didn't notice them at all. The pool was ok but inside because this is a skiing place in the winter.

Room Tip: Ask for a disability access room if you want to have room to dance!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Chris S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hello Howard and Joy! Thank you for your colorful and entertaining review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay. Yes, there is some truth to your observations, but not all American children misbehave and eat poorly. We're working on it! Hope all is well in New Zealand! Thanks for visiting us from so far away. Cheers,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Front desk staff of the Springhill Suites is very friendly, which is especially nice to weary travelers. The hotel is clean and efficient. Nothing over the top, but nice nonetheless. There is PLENTY of closet space for business travelers who might need extra closet space to store personal items out of the way with a nice desk center for working. The rooms include a microwave, fridge, and coffeemaker that makes 4 cups. The breakfast is a very nice spread - freshly prepared coffees and juices, big bagels and English muffins, pastries, cereals, yogurts, and eggs. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Gina L, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay!
Tucson, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

On average, we stay in hotels 1 out of every 4 nights. This place is among the filthiest I have ever had the displeasure of staying at. My wife and I stayed on the third floor for 2 nights with my parents on a grand canyon trip and we all agreed that we loathed the hotel so much that we found ourselves doing everything in our power to stay away from the place. We actually found ourselves at a Celtic festival listening to bagpipes because it was infinitely better than listening to the dogs next door howling all day and night.

If there was an online rating for dog owners who want to take a vacation with their dog but leave the dog in the room during the day when they are off sightseeing, this hotel would be ranked #1 in the country. I get the concept of "pet friendly" as a marketing tool, but this place is over the top. Pretty much every other hotel guest than our party seemed to have a dog. Not just lap dogs, I saw a 100 pound rottweiler, several golden retrievers, and even a little yorkie whose owner deemed it fit to allow him to eat off his plate at the breakfast buffet. Both workers in the breakfast area as well as the front desk observed and acknowledged this behavior. When I asked them if that was ok, they all shrugged and told me that this is a pet friendly hotel. Granted they are disposable plates, but if I wanted to eat with dogs I'd bring my sausage and eggs to the local humane society. The walk to our room was like a walk through a dog kennel. Barking and scratching at doors was more common than silence.

Our room was filthy. The carpet had multiple large stains. The only thing dirtier than the carpet was the sofa. Despite being made of stain-resistant fabric, it had several large brown stains on it. I will let you, dear reader, use your scientific skills to hypothesize what the source of said stains might have been. Our coffee pot that we made between day 1 and 2 was left full and on. I guess the housekeepers spend more time trying to clean up pet messes than actually providing the customary housekeeping service. The handle to bathroom sliding door broke off in my hand. The shower glass liner fell off.

In summary, I stay at Springhill Suites for their consistency. This place falls way out of the brand's norm and way below any reputable hotel's minimum standard. I wanted to stay at a nicer place, and at 3x the price of a roadside motel in town, I expected that. I would have been way better off with the motel. I can only assume that the glowing reviews are being written by the very pet owners who have contributed to the dilapidation of the property and the excrement that rubbed off on my pants after sitting on the couch.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Mungry, Thank you for your feedback. I regret that you and your family had such a poor experience at our hotel. I've taken your feedback as training lesson for our team. Animals are not allowed in our serving area, with the exception of certain service animals, and at no time should any pets eat in these areas.
Our pet policy prohibits animals from disturbing others while on our property. I'm sorry you stayed with us during a time when we had a few more dogs than usual and it appears we allowed some guests to abuse our program. Ultimately, we did not hear any of the barking you mentioned. It is still our responsibility to not allow these distractions to take place.
Please feel free to reach out to me. I never want any guest to leave us with a feeling of dissatisfaction.

Cheers,
Buena Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I was stranded in Flagstaff Arizona and the kind front desk staff went out of their way to assist me with travel help even thought that was not their gob. They went well beyond the duty I would expect from a hotel. Plus the room was beautiful and clean.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us! We are so pleased that our staff helped make the best out of an uneasy situation! We look forward to welcoming you back to Northern Arizona on a future stay!
Sedona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I LOVE this hotel! I love the modern design. It is so fun! The front staff is fantastic. The breakfast buffet is bountiful and does have hot eggs. The rooms also have a great design with unusual features. The 4th floor hallway smelled a little musty. That did bother me a bit but the room inside was great and I did need some firmer pillows. This hotel has a lot of activity in the lobby as buses of people/teenagers come as they pass through the Grand Canyon. I like this young energy. Lots of families also and an indoor pool.

Stayed July 2014
Gina L, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Flagstaff, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! Also, thank you for your note on the 4th floor, we freshened up the floor so it has a much nicer smell to it! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Northern Arizona!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The rooms are always nice, but I wanted to acknowledge the front desk staff. So friendly and helpful. I asked for directions to the nearest Starbucks and the were precise. I asked if it was within walking distance, and Chelsea said, "everything in Flagstaff is walking distance". Thanks for having the confidence in this old guy to make the 1.6 mile (round trip) hike. Thanks for making our stay feel like home.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and Chelsea helped make your stay extra enjoyable one! We look forward to your next vist with us!
Cary, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed at the Springhill Suites in Flagstaff passing through town on way to the Grand Canyon. This Marriott brand is always a top choice for us as a family of 5. It accommodates all of us nicely. But not impressed with this particular property at all.

I will say that I was not impressed with the hotel staff at the front desk upon check in and at check out. There was no welcome or thank you! Very unprofessional. I also had to call the front desk to request linens for the pull out sofa and the lady was very rude telling me that I needed to check to supply in the closet first. I informed her that I did that already and all that was in there was an extra pillow and a blanket no sheets for the bed. Her response "fine I will have some sent up"....REALLY! Then when we pulled out the sofa bed the mattress was so thin my 9 yr old didn't even want to sleep on it so he ended up sleeping on the couch.

The carpet was really worn in the room, needed an update. The docking station/clock on the nightstand was not working. Looked like the wires were cut or something. Disappointing that housekeeping didn't see that it was not working and put a replacement in the room.

We did stay on the 5th floor and it was very quiet. Beds were comfortable. Hotel offers a complimentary breakfast which is great. Variety of cereals, eggs, sausage, waffle maker, muffins, bagels, coffee juice....basically a great start to your day. The lady who runs the breakfast area was VERY friendly.

The room was a little smaller than other Springhill Suites that I have stayed in. Beds came right up to the edge of the dresser/ TV. Room had a musty smell to it.

Will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Greetings Jen S! Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. I'm surprised that we were not friendly in all of our interactions with you. We are in hospitality and anything less than super friendly and helpful is unacceptable. We almost always fulfill this promise, but in the case we didn't and I regret that. I'm sharing your feedback with all of our departments.
I hope your future travels are smooth and rewarding. Cheers to you in NC (my home state!)

Been to SpringHill Suites Flagstaff? Share your experiences!