“Great hotel and location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great hotel and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Our family stayed at this hotel for one night and were so happy when we arrived to find it new, clean and a friendly staff. We booked this hotel while on the road back from the Grand Canyon utilizing a discount booking tool on our iPhone. Needless to say, you never really know what you're going to get until you arrive and by then you've already made your non-refundable payment.

What a relief when we pulled in. The exterior of the hotel fits in with Falgstaff perfectly and resembles a much more expensive resort type property. Upon entering the lobby you will notice immediately that the finishes of the hotel appear to be top-notch and again of much higher caliber. The room was furnished with very contemporary furnishings, art and lighting. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Our daughter took advantage of the indoor pool and the area was clean and safe.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody seeking a location for a night or a week. You should have no concerns upon arrival with the location (just off the interstate) or the quality of the facilities.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is one of the more modern hotels in flagstaff, but its looks are deceiving and in my opinion in no way lives up to the service level of your typical Mariott Courtyard. First, they have some type of ongoing problem with their guest room fridges causing a skunk like odor in many of the rooms. (I have made the mistake of staying here more than once... and each time I got a wiff of the fridge problem when entering the room). Management knows they have a problem and claim they can't find a solution. So instead of pulling the fridges out, they spray an obscene amount of a febreeze like cleaner when you point it out to try to cover the odor up. Secondly, because the hotel location is near the highway, rooms you can get a lot of road and traffic noise and the walls are thin especially if you have an ajoining room next door. On several occasions, I requested a room in a quieter area of the hotel and the clueless front desk supervisor did not even know which rooms didn't face the highway and just moved me around the property acting like I was the one with the problem. Between the smell and the noise my last visit, I had a headache and needed some Tylenol or Advil. They have an entire wall of traveler items in their retail area, but couldn't manage to reorder any pain reliever and I had to leave the property in the middle of the night to find some. If you want a pretty hotel and smells and noise don't bother you, this Courtyard may be for you which is why I gave the place several chances. If you want an odor free good night sleep though I highly recommend staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: In my experience, rooms facing the parking lot, front of the hotel are actually the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
SAO PAULO BRAZIL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

A great hotel with a great staff. We were going from Las Vegas to Dallas, following the I-40 with stops in Flagstaff, Albuquerque and Amarillo. We were caught in the middle of a big snowfall they had in Arizona on March 18 and the road was closed , but we succeeded in getting to the hotel. The staff was very kind and courteous to us and had all the information we need to face the snow and to get around the town. Though they don't have a restaurant, there is a nice Olive Garden very near and we could have a hot dinner. To tell the truth we felt great in that hotel despite the snow and the cold outside.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We were on a road trip through Arizona and stopped here for 1 night to rest up before driving to the Grand Canyon. Nice clean rooms, the staff were very nice and helpful. Very affordable room rates. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Clifton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Just spent a night at the Courtyard Flagstaff and had an excellent experience. My wife and I stayed there on our way to visiting the Grand Canyon (which is about 1.5 hrs away). The hotel is either very new or recently renovated - from the lobby to the room itself, there were modern furnishings and amenities and everything was clean. The bathroom was a great size, with good lighting, and the shower worked great. We didn't have much interaction with the staff - had no need for it - but the people who checked us in and out were very helpful and able to answer all questions. Only cons - it took awhile to catch the elevator, not sure why it ran so slow, and also it seemed to take forever to change channels on the flat-screen HDTV. But those are very minor complaints!

The hotel itself is located about five minutes from "Old Town" Flagstaff, where there are a bunch of little shops and restaurants (this area is along the historic route 66). We had lunch at Simply Delicious, where the food was great. Definitely worth stopping at for lunch if you're looking for sandwiches (or platters or desserts) and want something other than greasy fast food.

Across from the hotel is a shopping center anchored by a Walmart, which was convenient for getting some food and drinks for our trip to the Grand Canyon. There were a bunch of other shopping areas and restaurants near the hotel, so plenty to choose from. I'd recommend eating at Taverna, a Mediterranean-inspired restaurant about three minutes drive from the hotel that was very reasonably priced and had lots of sandwiches, pitas, and platters to choose from. Oh, and can't forget to mention that the bar and wait staff put on a random fire-breathing show throughout the night!

Some other items to mention - if you're coming to Flagstaff from Phoenix, definitely take the scenic route along 89A. The mountainous drive and views of Oak Creek Canyon shouldn't be missed! And if you're looking for an activity to do around Flagstaff, you should really check out Walnut Canyon National Monument, about 7 miles east of the city, where you can see 1,000-year old Native American cliff dwellings. Really cool way to get inspired to see the Grand Canyon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

Every trip through Flagstaff we have tried different hotels. This hotel was wonderful. Very clean, and very good staff. Thank you for upgrading us to a room that fit a family of 5.
We stayed at Courtyards in Flagstaff, Phoenix, San Diego, Grand Junction, and this one was the best. They have their act together! Great indoor pool too!

Stayed March 2012
Hood River, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

My experience was very different from the others so perhaps it is a fluke. I stayed here one night and the night couldn't get over quickly enough for me. First, the shampoo in my room had already been used. Second, as a shower was one of the things I needed, I went and asked for some shampoo. They never sent it up. Thirdly, and most importantly...the doors to the rooms on the floor that I stayed on shut very loudly. At first I thought someone had just walked into my room and slammed the door....but it was actually someone in a room adjacent to mine or down the hall. This door slamming went on until about 3:00am. In most hotels I can drown out these noises with the white noise of a fan...but they don't have a fan. Opened the window to let in white noise, turned on the TV, but my noisy floor just kept slamming the door. Fourthly, since we are counting still, the room really smelled. It was a no smoking room, and it smelled like someone had recently smoked pot in there.
The brand "courtyard" used to carry some weight with me, but after this stay, not so much!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard Flagstaff? Share your experiences!