“The food is outstanding the service is hit or miss” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“The food is outstanding the service is hit or miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My family always looks forward to a visit to Flagstaff and Tinderbox. The restaurant has a nice vibe, although it can get a bit crowded. They only take reservations for parties of 5 or more so we try to get in early. The menu is not large but every item is pleasing to the taste buds and the eye. On this latest trip my daughter and I each started with the Pork Belly Pot Roast, Blue Cheese Grits, Peach Salad, Earl Grey Honey which was cooked very nicely and was very tender. For the entree She and I shared the Smoked Colorado Lamb Sirloin, Herb Spaetzle, Cherries, Walnuts, Pistou. The lamb itself was excellent the spaetzle was good but nothing special. Dinner was a pleasing as it has with every visit. My issues are with the staff. Service is a hit or miss. At times we have had friendly, helpful, and spot on service and then there are times such as this last visit. The restaurant was not busy but our waiter couldn't find his way back to our table to check if I wanted another glass wine, clear plates, ask about dessert, (which we would have ordered) He seemed put out our entire visit.....and snotty. Based on last nights visit I would have given it 3 stars, but over all it's usually a 4 star.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tucson
“Another Excellent Flagstaff Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

On a recent visit to Flagstaff, my wife and I had dinner at Tinderbox Kitchen. To start, she ordered a glass of granache, I had an Odell IPA on draft and we shared "the Board", a house-made charcuterie platter. It was a large, lovely wooden platter of delicious cured meats, cheeses, bread and chutney and olives.

For dinner, my wife ordered the pan roasted duck breast and leg confit, and I, the juniper cured venison. Our meals were outstanding. The meats and accompanying sides were delicious.

While we rarely have dessert, we decided to share a creme brulee and enjoy a cup of coffee. Again, everything was just excellent.

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals as Tinderbox Kitchen. In addition to the great food, our servers were outstanding.

While this was not an inexpensive meal, the price was justified (and then some) by the service and quality of food.

I would certainly dine at Tinderbox Kitchen again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chandler, Arizona
“Friendly staff, great dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

The French press coffee and chocolate mousse hit the spot. Tinderbox Kitchen is not what you expect in Flagstaff, but in a good way.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good food (not for everyone) and so-so service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Went there with family and friends. Tried the tasting menu and liked if (half of the party didn't). Nice ambiance but somewhat slow and up attentive service. Not kid friendly. Will likely return but alone or just with the wife next time.

Visited June 2014
“Dishes lacked flavor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I’m completely lost as to why this restaurant received 4 1/2 stars. I was in from out of town and took my boss to this place after checking the Yelp ratings and we were both disappointed. Starting with the wine (they apparently make their own) they only offered their wine by the glass. I had the Cabernet Sauvignon and it was okay. My colleague had a Chardonnay and he wasn’t happy with it. The taste had not yet fully developed and was really not quite ready to serve IMO.

We started off with the lobster soup but while the texture was good the taste was just okay. However, we were unable to find much in the way of lobster in the soup.
For the main course I had the Corn Milk Brined Pork Porterhouse, Creamed Corn with Hog Jowl Ragout. I thought the entire dish lacked taste and the pork was not tender. I liked the cream corn but thought it was a strange presentation lying at the bottom of the plate. But frankly it was the best part of the dish.

At the recommendation of the server my colleague had the Seared Scallops and he thought they were just okay; again it lacked any real sophistication in flavor.

The best part of the meal was actually dessert. It was a lemon cake, custard creation and I found it not too sweet and delightful paired with their outstanding coffee.

The service was also very good with the waiter bring quite knowledgeable and was attentive as needed. Even so, overall I found the restaurant a disappointment and would not return.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to Tinderbox Kitchen? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Tinderbox Kitchen, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.