“A good place to go skiing” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located on the majestic San Francisco Peaks, the Arizona Snowbowl lies 14 miles outside of Flagstaff. The resort opened in 1938 and operates from 9 AM to 4 PM daily. The ski area is on 777 acres, with 32 trails, 4 lifts and 2,300 vertical feet. Summer brings a Scenic Skyride to the top of Arizona, disc golf and many hiking options.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
19 attraction reviews
“A good place to go skiing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I am a beginner so I had a very hard time skiing down these hills but my husband is an expert so he loved it. I wasn't able to go up to see the Grand Canyon from the Mountain top since it's snowboarding season. Overall, it was a fun experience.

Visited January 2013
skiinginaz, Manager at Arizona Snowbowl, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to leave us a positive feedback.

We are very glad to hear that you and your husband had fun time here at Snowbowl. To build your confidence skiing/snowboard next season please consider taking one of our beginner lessons – they are filled with valuable techniques and they are FREE (with your rentals and ticket)! Other clinics are also offered to help people enjoy the slopes better.

We look forward to seeing you back on the slopes on Arizona Snowbowl!

Phoenix, Arizona
24 attraction reviews
“A Nice Place With a Great View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Located in scenic and beautiful Flagstaff Arizona, the Arizona Snowbowl is a haven for skiers and snowboarders. Approximately 2 1/2 hours from Phoenix, the locale offers fun and quality runs for skiers and boarders of all experience levels. Upon arrival, the friendly and helpful staff not only got us parked, but gave cars and trucks plenty of room to maneuver for those who depart earlier in the day. I noticed a long line for the rental equipment shop and was very happy that I decided to bring my own equipment for this visit. Even though I had not skied in over nine years, and had some issues with my boot buckles being stubborn, I was up and ready to go shortly after our arrival.

Directly behind the lodge was a very safe warm-up slope that gave me a chance to get used to the snow conditions and terrain. I always prefer to do a couple of runs on the bunny slope just to get back into the swing of things and then head up to the chair lift, and this time was no exception. The scenic beauty of the place was awe-inspiring and the recent snowfall had left plenty on the course. It was noticeably warm however and in a couple of occasions, I found myself having to deal with powder and ice as well as navigate around numerous ski school lessons during my warm-up.

When I reached the bottom of the hill after my first run, I was surprised to see that the tow rope was no longer in place. Instead, a magic carpet was used to ferry riders to the top. Think of a moving sidewalk that you need to ski onto before the rubber grips on the mat stop your momentum and whisk you up the hill. While I pulled it off without a hitch, it was a bit disconcerting, as I had to lean forward to maintain my balance and kept thinking I should be holding onto something.

A few of the guests informed me that conditions the previous day were absolutely amazing, and that due to the warming there were some areas of the runs that were little more icy than usual. While it was certainly not bad, I did exercise a little more speed control until identified the areas that were best suited for opening up and those where a more conservative approach was a more practical option.

For those looking for a greater challenge, there were some very advanced runs complete with some impressive moguls available. I did not take those in on this trip simply because time was an issue and with so many years away from skiing, I thought sticking to the intermediate levels was best for this trip. Besides, while I am capable and have skied black diamond runs before, I do not find them as enjoyable simply because you generally have to attack them rather than take a more leisurely approach down the run.

After a few more runs I took my place on one of the resorts ski lifts and one further up one of the more intermediate trails so that I could enjoy a longer run on a less crowded area. The line did take a while to get on the lift but once at the top I found myself leisurely making my way down the mountain and having a very pleasant time.

My wife opted out of skiing and boarding on this trip, and instead focused on taking pictures,

Visited February 2013
skiinginaz, Manager at Arizona Snowbowl, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you had a great time on the slopes.

Snowbowl is entering the most interesting stage in its development, when a lot of new things and projects are going to happen: from expansion of the snowmaking system, to lift and facilities upgrades.

We hope you will like the changes, when you come back next time. Maybe even your wife can join you next time?

To make the best of your trip – skip the holidays as they tend to be the busiest time of the season for us (longer lines and bigger crowds). Join one of our many complimentary clinics or sign up for a lesson to take your skiing to the next level – and you will be enjoying this wonderful winter sport even more.

With only 2.5 hours away on a straight highway – we are pretty much your ski area next door. We hope to see you next season!
Peoria, Arizona
31 attraction reviews
“snowbowling!Flag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

That's how locals in Phoenix refer to Flagstaff, also an University town(NAU) among other things.
So....We took the Grandkids up for the weekend in January/February with their modest collection of snowboards. The roads leading in to the ski area were plowed with tons of fresh powder on either side and as far as you could see. Refreshing, to say the least with friendly staff guiding you through and lots of parking at the bottom of the slopes. Some people even setting up camp on the periphery with tents and BBQ's etc.
The kids were excited and really pitched in by helping lug all the supplies and boards up to the top of one of the smaller slopes,even though it was pretty cold and steep. Once at the top it didn't take long for them to start whizzing down with their snowboards,trees or no trees in the path or trail. Of course about ten minutes or so into it, one of them slammed into a fir tree sideways and was slightly shook up but had a laughing fit instead of an injury. I was thankful for that and even though he had a helmet on, I wondered if the non stop laughing fit was a sign of some head trauma or just normal reaction/expression typical of kids. Checked out eyes(pupils) with flashlight and asked questions for memory/focus retention. All checked out good and so the fun continued and we went from small slope to bigger ones and finally to ones where we ended up on the bottom separated from each other on opposite ends of the hill. Cell phones/mobiles did come in very handy for getting the group back together each time.
You are expected to leave before dusk and if camping overnight to relocate to designated campsites with some limited facilities if not tenting but have RV's or such.
The next morning at dawn we were off to the slopes again for another exhilarating and fun filled uneventful day of snowboarding etc. Somewhat crowded but one can break away and move away to more secluded spots. Everyone had a terrific time and made some new friends and tentative plans to meet again but on the ski slopes next time for more thrills and lurking danger.
I suppose that's how you can get hooked on skiing and the rest of the Winter fun stuff even here in good old Arizona. It's one of those interesting places where your hall closet at home is jammed with clothes for all seasons. In a given day one can go from snow skiing to playing golf or tennis down in the Phoenix. It's only a couple hours drive from the valley up to Flagstaff, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. The Grand Canyon is about four hours depending on which rim you wanna go to. Obviously an unique and very fulfilling trip too but only if you're careful.
Good times ahead but keep your head on and intact,because being proactive is priceless. Sometimes the most awesome and beautiful places can make you complacent and not attentive,so you need to move slowly at times and be deliberate. Just thought I'd throw that in so no one takes things for granted, especially the little ones. One example is an outcropping on the Grand Canyon which is dry one moment and wet or slick from ice when its not in the sunlight long enough and in front is a sheer drop off without guardrails or a treelimb to hold on to.....sigh! Your's truly luckily had a tree limb that day,years ago. God must have put it there,because I didn't remember it being right there, earlier. Whew, that was close!

Visited January 2013
skiinginaz, Manager at Arizona Snowbowl, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Wow! What a great review! Thank you very much for sharing your story! We always appreciate customers’ feedback!

Winter sports are all about having fun, staying fit, making friends and enjoying yourself. It seems like you made it all and we are glad that Snowbowl was a part of it!
We hope to see you on the slopes again!
Denver, Colorado
“Fun spring break visit while touring NAU”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great fun on a Tuesday morning at this ski resort. End of season and very quiet. Snow not the best and very slow lifts. But a great place to ski for NAU students. Not many places to ski in Arizona so this was a fun find.

Visited March 2013
Thank you for checking us out while touring NAU.

As you have mentioned there are not that many placed you can ski in a cactus state, and we are proud to provide such services in Arizona. Spring 2013 did not bring as much snow as we were hoping for, but we look forward to expanding our snowmaking system even more over this summer in order to be able to provide more consistent skiing condition in the future years.
Now that the majority of our brand new state-of-the art snowmaking system is installed, we can move on to other projects such as lift and facilities upgrades. Within the next 2-5 years, our customers will see a lot happening at Snowbowl and we hope that they will like these exciting changes.

Stay tuned for more updates and thanks again for visiting!
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
21 attraction reviews
“Small Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This smallish ski/snowboard park on the northwetern slope of the only mountain for 100 miles is a clean, well run area. Room for alllevels of expertise and can be crowded on weekends when the snow is fresh.

Visited February 2013
skiinginaz, Manager at Arizona Snowbowl, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you very much for you message. We appreciate customers' feedback and we are very glad you enjoyed skiing in Arizona.

As you have mentioned, we are the only place in northern Arizona to ski and we do see increase in skiers over the weekends and when snow is fresh. Now when we have snowmaking in place, Snowbowl is moving toward other projects which will include lift and facilities upgrades. They will allow people to enjoy the slopes even more. Customer will be seeing a lot of new thing happening here within next two to five years.

Thank yu for your continuous support and we hope to see you next season!