“Good overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
California
“Good overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

In April, 2013 a group of us went on a river rafting trip to the Grand Canyon, and we used the Hotel Apsen before and after our trip. I booked in advance and got a discounted group rate on rooms. We got several of the 2 room queen suites, which were adjoining rooms, each with a queen bed and its own bathroom with a door separating the rooms for the price of one room. Sounded great until I got there. On the first night I stayed, the door that was separating the two rooms was clear glass french doors. That may have been great if the room had been occupied by a family with children, but many of us in the group didn't know each other. To have clear french doors occupying the space between our rooms didn't give either occupants any privacy at all. I continually asked when I was making the reservations if there was a door in between the rooms, and had I known that the "door" was see-through, I wouldn't have booked the room. We also had to go through the french door into the other room to go in and out as there was no exit door in our own room.
On our return stay after the Grand Canyon, however, the adjoining rooms were different. There was a regular door in between the rooms, and my room had it's own entry/exit door so that I didn't have to go into the adjoining room to go in and out.
The motel is old but clean, comfortable, and pretty quiet except for some train noise. I had a brief interaction with the front desk staff, and they were friendly and quick. I never had the breakfast or used any of the other services offered. The hotel was a little farther from "town" than I expected it to be, and is more convenient for those taking the train. We had a great breakfast at MartAnne's Cafe, which was a 10 minute walk away.
For an overnight stay, it was a good price and a good budget motel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear guest:

We truly appreciate you providing us with this TripAdvisor review! Thanks for the valuable feedback.

We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stays with us, both before and after your Grand Canyon trip! It's always such a pleasure to hear back from satisfied customers! We truly hope to see you again in the future, sometime!

If there's anything else that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me. I'd love to help!

(928) 774-7186

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a week. This was our second time. Our week was great! The hotel provides a good location to visit the Grand Canyon and hike in the Flagstaff area. We also had our tandem bike and found the road riding to be safe and enjoyable. The staff at the hotel were quick to fix anything that was wrong. Our refrigerator was not working and it was replaced quickly. We needed extra blankets and they were delivered fast! The best park of our stay was Adrian who works in the café. He greets everyone with a smile at breakfast and makes the most delicious waffles. He also does the social hour and serves afternoon refreshments. He really made our stay. He is an asset to this hotel and has worked there for 20 years. The hotel does need some updating, but the rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable.

Room Tip: We had a 1st floor room and found it to be quiet. The spa tub was relaxing after hiking the Grand Ca...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:

Thank you for providing us with this TripAdvisor review! We sure appreciate the feedback.

We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your week-long stay with us! I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our staff, and particularly Adrien; I'm sure everyone will be pleased to hear about this positive review!

If there's anything else that I can do to further assist you, please do not hesitate to contact me! I'd love to help.

Tyler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The desk help was outstanding. It felt like I was in a fine hotel. A well dressed young woman and a gentleman wearing a tie welcomed us to the Aspen. And then we went to our rooms.

The room looked like any room you'd see in a budget motel with a few exceptions. The bed cover was shaped like a fan or something on top of the sheets. The towels were also hung decoratively in the bathroom. There was a flat screen TV, a mini refrigerator, a hair dryer and a free bottle of water! That was a first! The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioner got very cold, as is my preference.

The location is very close to a lot of neat cafes and restaurants to the west of the motel.

But the really cool thing about staying here is the free breakfast in the morning. There was a guy in the dining room who greeted us and asked if we wanted waffles. We all said yes and he cooked them up and served them to us at our table. While he cooked the waffles, we helped ourselves to eggs, bacon, sausages, cereal, orange juice, and milk. There were other things to eat but I can't remember what they were. The man serving the waffles was very friendly and we left him a nice tip.

You can't go wrong staying here. The value was very good and you can tell they're really trying to make something out of an old motel--and doing a very good job at it. I will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Flagstaff.

Dear guest:

We truly appreciate you taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor review! Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We're so happy to hear you that you enjoyed your stay with us! I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to our staff, as well as Adrian, who manages our breakfasts every morning. I'm sure they will all be very pleased to hear about this positive review!

If there's anything else that I can do for you, feel free to contact me directly. I'd love to help!

Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Free breakfast was good, location is convenient. Alfonzo who was at the desk on check in was extremely polite and pleasant to deal with.

Turned on the Jacuzzi in our suite and flakes of brown crusty material filled the water. Went to the desk to complain, and was given the manager's card for me to call, instead of the clerk calling her directly. The manager did give us another room and offered a ten dollar discount, but it was a disappointing experience. We didn't even attempt to use the second jacuzzi, afraid of a repeat experience. The happy hour snacks consisted of some salsa and chips.....period. There was a couple of free drinks available, but given the limited menu was more than a bit average. Both of the room we stayed in had a mini kitchen with a two burner electric stove. For some reason, BOTH of the stoves had a burner that had something melted on it- one of them was covered with a fair amount of wax. The pool side are covered in some sort of soft putty. Can't imagine that is up to local code with regards to pool construction. The fountain by the breakfast/snack room is totally amateur, and actually looks lame.

All in all, the property is tired, The management needs to go room by room and freshen up the place. There are some good designs, but it need rework.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for providing us with this TripAdvisor review! Although not entirely positive, please know that your feedback's incredibly helpful in our effort to continuously update and improve this hotel, and for that, we thank you!

However, we do apologize sincerely for the issues you experienced during your stay. Please know that the owners have read this review, and are currently addressing the concerns you mentioned.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. If there's anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I'd love to help!

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed in Flagstaff last week with my family and I would revisit. Yes it is a bit tired but for all you are paying it is value for money.The staff were first class with the guy in PJs delivering outstanding customer service. Thank You

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for completing this TripAdvisor review! We appreciate your valuable feedback.

We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us -- it's always such a pleasure to hear back from satisfied customers! I will certainly pass on your compliments to our staff, specifically Adrien, who works at PJ's cafe!

If there is anything else that I can do for you, please don't hesitate to contact me personally. I'd love to help in any way I can!

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We'd stayed here before and it really is a pretty property. It's nestled in the mountains and set the rooms are set back from the road. The room was pretty dreadful. The carpeting where it met the entryway tile was shredded. The toilet seat in the bathroom was pitted and scarred and totally unsanitary. There was no real way to sanitize it. When I showed a phone photo to the front desk staff they asked if it was pitted or was that "something else"? Many of the pavers by the restaurant were missing and it really would have easy to turn an ankle. The stairways have metal braces that were all rusted out. The redeeming feature, a good staff. Kudos to Adrian who was the genial host/caretaker of the breakfast bar. I'd stay clear of this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:

I would like to sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay! This is a very, very old property, and we do all that we can to continuously make updates and improvements to what we can -- please know that your feedback assists us greatly in this effort!

We have alerted the owners to your concerns. Trust that they are being handled with great care and consideration, and although negative reviews are never encouraging, they are at least helpful. For that, we thank you.

If there's anything else that we can do for you, please contact me directly. I would love to help. And again, on behalf of the Aspen InnSuites hotel in Flagstaff, we sincerely apologize.

Best regards,

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights here while visiting the Canyon. It was clean and comfortable, and the bed provided a great night's rest. The service was helpful and friendly, and our overall impression was very good.

• Stayed May 2013
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear guest:

We truly appreciate you taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor review! Thank you so much for the feedback.

We are so excited to hear about your satisfaction with our property. It's always such a pleasure to hear back from happy guests! We sure hope to see you again in the future, should you ever be traveling through Flagstaff again.

If there is anything else that could contribute to the betterment of our property, please feel free to contact me personally! I would love to hear more feedback.

(928) 774-7186

Been to Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon? Share your experiences!