“Very old and tired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Very old and tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband,daughter and I recently stayed one night here. The rooms are very old and tired and small with two queens,microwave. The bathroom was just horrible,it was clean but so old they had tape holding the shower head up. Yes it is cheap and the Hotel was full of families on vacation so I guess If you are on a budget great. Breakfast was the usual and ok. The beds were soft and clean and we had a great sleep. It was ok for the one night as we were only passing through and wanted somewhere cheap to stay.

Room Tip: Remember this is a budget hotel no frills !!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear guest:

We truly appreciate you providing us with this feedback! Thank you for the review.

However, it's hugely disappointing for us to hear about your dissatisfaction with our hotel. We are very sorry about the shower-head issue. I've sent you a personal e-mail requesting information regarding your room number. This way, we can address this issue immediately.

If there is anything else that I can help with, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

(928) 774-7186

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Dorval, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is an older, typical motel. We stayed at The Aspen Inn for three nights. After reading the mixed reviews we asked, at check-in, for a refurbished room. We were assured that all the rooms were refurbished. When we checked out our (upstairs, back building) room it had 2 beds, with blankets, folded fancy, on them, an older TV and when we checked the fridge and bathroom, they were clearly not refurbished. The small fridge was cracked and broken and the cupboard in was housed in appeared to have mold. The sink in the bathroom was also old and badly cracked. My husband was ready to go somewhere else. We went back to the check-in and said we weren’t happy with the room. I was asked if we absolutely needed 2 beds. I replied that one was fine as long as it was big. She said it was king size so I said that was fine. Well we arrived in the other room (downstairs, back building) and what a difference. We walked into the living room/kitchen and saw that it was a suite with a separate bedroom. The bathroom, although older, had a bathtub with jets (unfortunately I didn’t get to use it). Any towel, blanket, Kleenex, toilet paper etc. that could be made fancy, was folded fancily; a nice touch. There was a full kitchen although no dishes. There was a sign stating that they could be borrowed. The only negative about the room was the bedroom closet. One door was missing and the other hanging off the track. It was not repaired while we were there, even though we left a note for housekeeping. I assume they were already aware of it. We heard the trains but nothing that would prevent us from sleeping. As pretty much everyone has mentioned, Adrian was great in the breakfast room. He made the Belgium waffles and took care of everyone. There was coffee, tea, juice, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage or ham (depending on day), toast and cereals. Only thing missing was fresh fruit but we picked up some at the grocery store. We made it to Happy Hour once and enjoyed a glass of wine and some tortilla chips and salsa. The décor of PJs was great. Internet was also free and the pool was great. Before this we had stayed in a high-end hotel in Phoenix area. They nickeled and dimed us to death. I would stay here again – as long as I was in a refurbished room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for taking the time away from your schedule to complete this TripAdvisor review! We really appreciate the feedback.

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! However, we do want to extend our sincerest apologies for your initial dissatisfaction. We do hope that despite such, we will see you here again in the future.

Anna.Patel@dayshoteflagstaff.com
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were extremely pleased with our stay here! First off, when my boyfriend checked in, they have us an upgrade to the Washington presidential suite...the room was worth more than 5 stars! Needless to say, no hotel room lived up to the presidential suite afterwards.

Although the hotel room was quite impressive, I'm actually writing this review to applaud Adrian, waffle extraordinare. He is such a great asset to this hotel... He's so friendly and makes great waffles! We always left him a great tip, because we were so happy with his presence. Thanks Adrian!

• Stayed May 2013
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor review! Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are so happy to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us, as well as your upgrade to our Washington Presidential Suite! It's very exciting to hear that you were pleased with the upgrade, and what our rooms have to offer.

Also, I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Adrian; I'm certain he will be really excited to hear about this great review!

We sure hope to see you again in the future -- but until then, if there is anything else that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask! I would love to help.

New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for one night. But the experience was so good we wanted to stay longer. They serve free hot breakfast and free WiFi, although we could not connect to internet probably because the hotel was nearly full and everybody who checked in earlier must have been using it.
The room was impeccable for a motel. The linens were fresh and set in a decorative manner like a five star hotel. They had a good swimming pool.
It is also very well located. A supermarket is nearby and it is 15-20 minutes walk to the historic district.
The hotel did not get five stars because it was rather close to BNSF railroad and the trains continued to run even in the midnight. It was a bit noisy. The rumble of the passing trains transmitted through the earth and happened to have triggered an alarm of a car parked in the hotel lot, twice.
But that did not deprive us of any sleep since we are very tired from a day of sightseeing and accustomed to a certain level of noise because we live in a densely populated area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:

Thank you for taking the time away from your schedule to complete this TripAdvisor review! We truly appreciate your positive feedback.

It's exciting to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us enough to extend your stay! This is something we are so happy to hear -- however, we do apologize for the railroad noise, as well as the car alarm issue, which actually doesn't happen too frequently.

We sure hope to see you again in the future! In the meantime, however, if there's anything I can do to further assist you, please do not hesitate to ask! I would love to help.

Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The staff is extremely courteous and friendly. I would stack them up against any Hyatt, Four Seasons, etc., you get my drift. For the price, I was presently surprised. I got two bedrooms with two double beds. Contrary to what others have said, though the train line is nearby, I have yet to hear a train from my room. FYI, the majority of the lower priced hotels/motels are located on the same street so the train sounds, if any, will all be the same. The breakfast is nice, scrambled eggs, ham, cereals, breads, beverages and Adrian will even make your waffles for you! It would be similar to the La Quinta chain with the additional benefit of eggs and meat. USA Today is also available on a "first come first served" basis. They have a happy hour but I was not able to check it out. Downtown Flagstaff is a 5 minute drive. Cute down with many quaint eateries and watering holes. Across the street, past the train tracks, is where the younger people hangout. You will find two micro-breweries and watering holes for the younger crowd. Checked them out and even though I'm pushing 60, I felt extremely welcomed. My favorite is the LumberYard Micro-brewery which has excellent beer and extremely friendly employees.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if you have difficulty with stairs, request the bottom floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest:

Thank you for such wonderful feedback! We truly appreciate you completing this TripAdvisor review.

It's exciting to hear about your positive experience with us! We are so happy to hear that you not only enjoyed our on-site accommodations, but also our close proximity to some of downtown Flagstaff's greatest restaurants and breweries!

Also, I will be sure to pass on your compliments regarding our outstanding service to our staff members! I'm sure they will all be delighted.

We certainly hope to see you again in the future, should you ever be traveling through Flagstaff on another trip! Until then, if there is anything else that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask! I would love to hear from you.

Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I looked at hotels in the area and found this one online. It appeared decent and it was reasonable. It is one of many on Route 66 in Flagstaff, AZ so I had many choices. It was given a decent rating by prior guests so I tried it.

From the road, it appears old but in better than average shape. The front desk personnel were warm, friendly and very helpful. I was given a room in the building in the rear on the hillside. Not a bad view.

That's when the issues arose! I walked in and only a couple of the lights had bulbs. The TV didn't work and I soon found out that there was no hot water (warm at best.) I do admit that the bed was comfortable and the location of the property convenient.

If you're going to try this hotel, watch for the little things. Everything considered, I'd probably try one of the other hotels in the area next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Anna P, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear guest:

We are happy to hear that you considered our beds comfortable, and location convenient!

However, we would like to extend our sincerest apologies regarding the issues you experienced during your stay. I will make sure to address and promptly resolve these inconveniences, including the water-temperature issue. Luckily, that is easily fixed.

Again, we truly apologize. If there is anything else that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would love to help if at all possible!

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Arrived late at 10pm went to room which was disgusting. Complained to man on reception and was told that there was nothing else available and to check in the morning. This is not a good start to a three night pre-booked stay. We were very tired from the travelling that we had done that day so stayed. The room was dirty very dated and not acceptable to us.

In the morning went to reception spoke to lady told her that when we booked on the internet this is not what was shown or described and that we were not happy at all. She was very apologetic on behalf of the hotel and offered us the choice of two other rooms and gave keys for us to look.

Both rooms were good, clean and acceptable and must have been available the night before because this was too early for someone to have checked out and the room to have been serviced.

We accepted one of these rooms (these are the rooms that have been refurbished) and the next two nights were good.

The lady at reception was very professional and offered us a discount which we accepted for our trouble.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that has been refurbished, our original room needed rebuilding and the hotel should...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to complete this TripAdvisor review. Thank you for your valuable feedback!

We sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you experience during your stay. It's likely that those rooms were not available; early-May is one of our busiest weeks due to graduation, and we are almost always completely booked. Again, we extend our sincerest apologies.

If there is any way that I can further assist you, please contact me personally. I would love to help if at all possible!

(928) 774-7186

Been to Hotel Aspen InnSuites Flagstaff / Grand Canyon? Share your experiences!