“It was okay for a remodeled cheap hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
30% Off Rate On IBCHotels
Ranked #43 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Detroit, Michigan
“It was okay for a remodeled cheap hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I give them points for trying to make it as clean and comfortable as possible. I chose this hotel because the price was cheap, the reviews were decent, and it was close enough to the Grand Canyon. The rooms have been remodeled, and although they contain amenities that nicer hotels have, it still feels like a cheap motel. The only real plus I can think of is that the bed was comfortable and although the train went by every couple hours, I still got a good night sleep. We were in a non smoking room, but someone above us was smoking and the smell came into our room. There was cable TV, and an HBO channel....that was fuzzy and eventually went out while we were watching a movie. We called the front desk to let them know and the clerk was rude about it. Overall, I probably would not stay here again, as the cons outweigh the pros.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Canyon, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I booked a two-room “suite” at this hotel, for a party of five, for one night in late July 2011. Thought I had done my due diligence prior to booking, as I checked the Trip Advisor website and, although I noted some negative reviews, I also read positive ones and the hotel website pictures convinced me that we would likely have a clean, comfortable overnight stay. Other hotels in Flagstaff, for a party of five, wanted considerably more and few offered a two-room suite.

My initial impression upon arriving at the property after driving all day was that it was old and outdated and appeared more like a motel (outside access, small, detached office, etc.). Decided to proceed with check-in, as we were just staying overnight and would leave out early the next morning enroute to our final destination.

Upon entering our “suite,” I immediately realized what a terrible mistake I had made by booking this place. This “suite” was, in reality, two adjacent rooms which had had one outside door bricked up, with a doorway stabbed inside, between the two rooms. My primary dissatisfaction pertains to the accommodations – they were shabby, dirty, and outdated. The “suite” reeked of cheapness and uncleanliness. For starters: the furniture was old and shabby, with dirt built up around the armoire base, and dirt built up in the room corners; the office chair actually had a sizeable hole in it, with foam exposed. I would be very surprised to find that the place had been vacuumed after the previous guests’ stay. The grout between the tiles in the bathrooms appeared old and dirty, and dirt was built up in the corners there as well. The microwave was old and dingy, and the hutch which held the refrigerator had water damage and peeling paint beneath the fridge. The coffee maker was located in the bathroom, about eight feet from the toilet (gross!), and there was an apparent blood stain on the shower curtain in our bathroom! The sink vanities were old and worn through to bare wood in some places, and one of the bottoms was detached and warped! The electrical outlets and plates were dirty and fit poorly – one of the outlets in the bathroom was so loose it pulled away from the wall about ¼ inch, which is a fire / shock hazard, in my opinion. My wife tried to use a blow dryer and the lights dimmed and the dryer bogged down and I thought it was going to blow a fuse! The fit and finish of the room (molding, paint, trim, etc.) screamed “cheap!” The front door sported two-tone paint (although that wasn’t the intent of the painters), and the list goes on. The wife and I couldn’t believe the condition of the accommodations and took out our camera to document all of this and more!

We are not unreasonable people and would have been satisfied with outdated, as long as it was not shabby, dingy and dirty; unfortunately, it was. To be fair, the beds were not uncomfortable, the pool was OK, and the included breakfast at PJ’s was good. We paid well over $100 for a one night’s stay in this “suite” and were VERY disappointed in the quality and cleanliness of our accommodations.

Room Tip: Keep driving!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

If you're looking for a 5 star resort then this isnt it but overall it was nice, the room was clean and the waffles were tasty. For 95 bucks for a king suite you cant beat it. Staff was nice and friendly, parking was cake and it was close to town. Nice stay and I would stay again anytime.

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed three days with family at Aspen InnSuites beacuse it wasa good price for a 5 person family. It is an upscale cheap Motel. The rooms feel dirty and the whole design feel cheap, although the Hotel has everything you can ask for (micro wave, fridge, free breakfast, pool, fitness room etc). The location besids the railway makes it noisy, so for for those requiring silence to sleep, this hotel is probably not a good idea.

Preble, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Our experience with this hotel started out by trying to reach them by phone for directions. The address did not work in our GPS so I called the number listed for the hotel. Needless to say, no one answered. When we finally found the hotel and questioned the clerk, she said the phone was working so she didn't know why I couldn't get in touch with them. I felt I had to prove that I called them, so I showed her my cell phone. We (4 adults) stayed in one of the "Executive 2 Bedroom Suites" or so they called it. The air conditioner did not work, we reported it, but nothing was done about it. It was a very hot day and evening and everyone was tired, hot and looking forward to cooling down and getting a good nights sleep. The beds need replacing badly, we keep rolling to the middle. It was so hot you couldn't sleep. The bathroom was very small and the door leading to the main room you had to play with the handle to get out. The outside door did not close properly because the screw they used was one that had a hex head instead of a flat head. The best thing about our stay was the free breakfast - it was wonderful. There were scrambled eggs, ham, home style potatoes and waffles being made and served by a very friendly gentlemen who was in charge of the room. My overall opinion of this hotel was that I would never recommend it to anyone and I personally would never stay again.

Montana City, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed here 3 nights of a 9 day road trip. While I am usually much more picky with hotels, we were looking for the best bang for the buck and this was not bad. We had a two room suite up the hill ( climbing the hill is no big hike). While the carpets and cabinets do need replacing so badly, the beds were really good. It was as clean as you can get an older hotel room. They need to finish the remodel, BUT this hotel was about half the price of the Drury ( where I would normally stay) and because the beds were good and clean we were happy here. We spent very little time in the room. The breakfast was above average and the food service worker was so, so nice and efficient.
We did not hear the train at night. It had a nice big parking lot for walking dogs and if traveling on a budget I would stay here again. Just bring your flip flops for walking on the carpets.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a suite. The suites and rooms are small.
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Aspen on our way to the Grand Canyon on our summer vacation. We enjoyed a very clean and comfortable room as well as a breakfast buffet the next morning. It was nice to not have to worry about going out to eat in the morning, before headed out on our trip. The only negative that I would have is that some of the staff were not knowledgeable of the area. We asked about how long it took to get to the Grand Canyon, and the desk staff said that they did not know, they had never been. She had lived in Flagstaff all of her life and never gone. If you are going to work in a hotel that caters to people on vacation.. you need to know this information! Also,, the hotel is not far from the train tracks. They are quite busy, Since we live in a town with lots of trains, it did not bother us at all.. but for some it might be a problem.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the online deals and then call and see if they can match it.