“The best birthday ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Granada Hills, CA
“The best birthday ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Being that this was my second time staying at the hotel, I knew I was going to have a fun time.
For the last time I went was in September of last year , right before I started going to community college, and me and my family had stayed in the Alan Ladd room...
It was the best time ever!
Yes, the hotel is over a hundred years old and there are tales of ghosts, but the main reason to go is to Properly enjoy the city of Flagstaff, Arizona ....

My family (My mother, sister, and brother, Jonnathan) and I had decided that for my nineteenth birthday that we would stay ,for four days, at the Monte Vista again! What a great decision because this time around I got to choose the room my mother and I would sleep in and I had Already heard about the Freddie Mercury Room (Aka Room 403!) from our first trip in September... And since I am a Queen fan, I Could Not RESIST!

So let me tell you this, please don't come to this hotel if you expect the following...
-Functioning WI-FI (They have it but it's sketchy, but why in the HELL would you need it in the first place. Also, the front desk does warn you, if you ask, about the problems and will offer to reset the Wi-fi if it gets Any Worse)
-A pool (Stop being ridiculous)
-Room Service (Once Again... Just Stop)
-A proper night's sleep (For God's sakes! Flagstaff and the Hotel Monte Vista are RIGHT DEAD CENTER of College life! Northern Arizona University is just across the train tracks...Oh yeah and the train is right there, so try to bring a pair of ear plugs if you are a Light Sleeper!)

The room, in itself, was amazing, it SCREAMS Freddie Mercury! The burgundy purple with freckled gold painted room had a classy feel (as Freddie was known for being JUST THAT)! The room even had a 'Bohemian Rhapsody' poster! The room has an amazing private bath w/ a tub (The bathroom itself might be a bit small but those who mind that Shouldn't be traveling in the first place), a small closet, a flat screen Tv, and a great view of the DuBont (the hotel across and down the street from it) and it's dropping "New Year's Eve" pine cone...

Let tell me you this, the service is amazing, Downstairs: there's a extremely TINY coffee shop (a little too "hipster" for my taste), they have modern day soda, candy, and ice vending machines, roof access (I LOVED that part), and everything is a stones throw or slight walk away!

There's been legends, tales, and rumors of certain ghosts walking the halls and knocking on doors... In both of my trips, I haven't had much concern for them since I tend to leave such things alone, for as long I get to stay in the Freddie Mercury room again I shall be happy!

So far so good, this beautiful place is a 10 out of 10

Room Tip: -This is NOT a Fancy hotel, so don't be a TROLL -Bring ear plugs, for it's Right next to NA...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Totally different hotel to stay.we spend an incredible weekend.good location.the parking space is limited. We only had difficult time to find a parking spot on a saturday.we got there early on a friday so we get to enjoyed the "first friday". Next day the City had the christmas parade (maybe That's why we had difficult time finding a parking spot) the receptionist was Really nice and helpful when we had questions. Also gave us a coupon for the lowell observatory.My daughter had trouble with the wifi but the issue was resolved.We stayed in the freddie mercury room the bathroom was small but spotless.We had a couple of drinks in the cocktail lounge. The band was playing great music.We would love to stay here again. We have a wonderful experience.

• Stayed December 2012
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was really disappointed by the Hotel Monte Vista. My friends and I were looking for a fun place to stay that would give us some good stories to tell. We knew it was supposed to be historical and haunted, so we thought it would have interesting old decor and maybe some creepy areas. Unfortunately, it really didn't live up to our expectations. The woman at the counter was rude and short with us. She acted as if we were wasting her time. The hotel looked nice enough downstairs, but the room we stayed in was cheaply decorated and run down. It was decorated with low budget "antiques," one of which was a small lamp on our dresser that barely worked and seemed like it might be some kind of fire hazard. The blinds were old and dirty. We found a joint in our windowsill. The bathroom and shower were very small (I guess not surprising for a historical hotel) and the toilet had almost no water pressure. When in unsurprisingly became clogged and we told the woman at the front desk, she gave us directions to find the janitor's closet on the second floor and hunt down a plunger so we could plunge our own toilet. I thought the definition of a hotel versus a motel was that they are supposed to provide more services and amenities. I've been treated better at youth hostels. The walls in the rooms are very thin and the hotel definitely attracts a party crowd. We could hear drunken patrons laughing and yelling until about 3 in the morning. We could also hear all of the plumbing and toilets flushing in the rooms around us. This is not a place to stay if you want to get some sleep.

The only positive aspects of our stay were the bar downstairs (the Rendezvous) and the Taiwanese restaurant that adjoined the hotel. They both had good food/drink and atmosphere and are the only reason the hotel received a 3 from me instead of a 2 or a 1.

The moral of the story: eat and go to the bar at the Hotel Monte Vista, but stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Location! Location! Location! Right on the corner of San Francisco and Aspen. You can walk the town and browse the shops and once your feet are aching, no need to drive back to your hotel, just step inside to Hotel Monte Vista's cafe/bar. Lively atmoshere, and floor to ceiling glass windows on two corner walls - great for people watching with a nice hot Eggnog/Chai/Whiskey concoction. We had a large room (Lee Marvin) with queen bed - very comfortable, but brown. Brown furniture, brown bedcover, brown cushions. Hotel staff was friendly. Besides the cafe/bar there is a lounge/pool room. Not too many people there on
X-Mas eve. Great Thai restaurant, not part of the hotel, but can access restaurant from hotel.
I would definitely stay there again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is an interesting place to stay. It is by no means new. The rooms are small, and not much has been done to update the hotel from its historical nature -- which I think is on purpose. Some rooms are larger depending upon how much you want to spend. But this place has class and interest. The famous people that have stayed here and still stay here makes this a unique place. It is centrally located and has a funky and lively restaurant (plus bar/pool hall) in it. The beds were comfortable, bathrooms very small (but private), and the service was excellent. This is a hotel for young people or people looking for an interesting adventure. It has a lot of history if you like that, but don't come here with the expectation that this is a Holiday Inn or Hilton. It is a historical hotel in a small AZ town and lives up to its name.

Maricopa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Was tired of the same old Super 8/Motel 6 so we took a chance on the Monte Vista. Loved it, tons of character, neat and clean. Great lively lower level bar, in fact it was voted best "dive bar". We would stay here again.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My boyfriend & I drove to the Hotel Monte Vista to stay the night to do a little paranormal investigating, which is a hobby of ours, in celebration of his birthday.

We arrived at the hotel and went up to our room...the door had been left open.

The bathroom was uncomfortably tiny with a toilet and standing shower, but the sink in the bedroom area. (At least we had a bathroom!)

There was really nothing to do in the town besides go to a bar and drink & listen to music.

The hotel & town was really played up on the websites and by the staff when you talk to them as being really haunted, but there were no type of ghost tour or anything. The hotel did have a photocopied paper with ghost sightings listed on it that they handed us when we checked in. But then I got yelled at by the bouncer for taking pictures of the bar. How are you gonna tell people how haunted your hotel is and then not let them take photos to catch any ghosts?

The hotel itself had a band playing until early morning and then closed down so you couldn't explore the "haunted" areas near the bar/pool tables. The rude desk agent even told us they closed the lobby after 1am, so we didn't feel like we could even go into the lobby and sit.

We ended up just going to bed at like 11pm...but couldn't sleep until about 4am because the noise from downstairs and outside was so loud that it sounded like it was coming from inside the room. Not to mention the uncomfortable bed.

There were names on many of the doors, in some sort of cheesy attempt to make it feel like celebrities loved to stay there.

We had no sort of ghostly encounters, which we have at places said to be much less haunted in their history.

Overall very disappointed with the hotel and the town. The trip wasn't cheap either.

Only good thing was a couple of the staff were friendly & the restaurant had vegetarian options for breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Monte Vista? Share your experiences!