“Flagstaff 'Americana'” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 65 hotels in Flagstaff
London
“Flagstaff 'Americana'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I'd been to Flagstaff in 2011 and not made a reservation ahead of time, but this time I did at the Monte Vista.Why? It has a ginormous neon sign on the roof, I'm rather partial to that! Flagstaff has a nice vibe - the light is incredible, there are some excellent restaurants and coffee shops, attractive young people - thanks to Northern Arizona University - and the railroad runs through the middle of town. The Monte Vista is an excellent base - a classic American small town hotel dating from early in the last century. The room - 'Michael J Fox' on the door - was comfortable, the bar downstairs had a great glass of pinot noir, and the front desk team were excellent. No breakfast, so head out to 'Macy's' the other side of the railroad - I had dinner both nights at Criolla just a block from the Monte Vista, and fresh juice from the 'Juice Box' on a parking lot down the street. Downtown Flagstaff early in the morning resembles a Wim Wenders movie, and the Monte Vista fits perfectly. I drove down to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon - possibly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been - the canyon, not Sedona!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Aliso Viejo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Sean, the manager of Hotel Monte Vista, not only would not credit me for a parking ticket which I incurred because of the ineptitude of Sara, a newly hired hotel clerk (she gave me a parking voucher that was only good for two hours and never told me I had to park in their parking lot for any longer stays), but also would not even talk to me on the phone to explain why nor reply to my email (yeah, probably because he knew he was morally and ethically wrong for not crediting my bill for the $33 ticket). BAD, BAD CUSTOMER RELATIONS!!!! Thanks to BofA's credit department for giving me credit for it because I am a long-standing good customer!

Room Tip: Don't give them cash!!!
Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have stayed at the Monte Vista several times while in Flagstaff. It is a funny, quirky place which we have enjoyed but can understand other visitors not being as easily entertained as we are. The Rendezvous Bar, located on the first floor corner of the hotel and looking out at the stores in the old part of Flagstaff, is a beauty! " A coffee bar by day and a martini bar by night" pretty much describes it. Something for everyone. Great views, good traffic, good service and a great martini ( Bombay Safire on the rocks, very dry, a lemon twist). What is not to enjoy. When we were in Flagstaff this past week for one night, we didn't stay at the Monte Vista but did make time to spend an hour in the Rendezvous.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Planned a day trip and got snowed in. This was the only choice I had being that the blizzard made it impossible to drive. The woman at the desk was so nice and hospitable, and got me their ''Betty White Room''(cali. King bed, 4 big windows, large space considering the turn of the century layout). Very enjoyable stay despite the situation. In the heart of old flagstaff, great thai restaurant two buildings down, and a cute cafe and fun arcade with a bar and pool tables adjacent to the lobby.

• Stayed February 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The room had a great view, it had charming decor and I slept very well. The bathroom was small but charming. The service was nice, and they even lent us a cork screw from the bar to open wine we bought down the street.

We had a good stay. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms where famous people have stayed seem better than the others. We were happy in our corner room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Waynesville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My rating is based on a single night in this historic setting, which is all I recommend, but I do recommend that travelers to Flagstaff avail themselves of the opportunity to step back in time for a night in a bare clean cowboy room that is more than adequate. The patient young lady at the front desk was particularly helpful in suggesting places for me to get whatever I needed or wanted and she took her time, drew maps for me, and was most polite. While other reviewers have complained about noise, I did not find any and I stayed on a Saturday night, sleeping soundly without any interruption. If live music was being offered downstairs, then it never infiltrated my room and trains are a non-issue despite my sensitive hearing. It's a fun place to stay for a night downtown and a step back in time to a simpler life.

Room Tip: Rooms vary according to history. Inquire before booking to enhance your stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Ok it's old the painting and the furniture But we like old hotels. Its in the middle of downtown. We slept in the 'Freddy mercury ' room on the 4 th floor in a corner room with an extra window. So yes it was far away from the first floor and the saloon. Ok the bathroom was small. But the room was clean. All the people that complain should go to one of the chain hotels with no character at all.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Hotel Monte Vista? Share your experiences!