“bed bugs” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 32 hotels in Murfreesboro
Yorba Linda, California
“bed bugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

After finding a bed bug in my bed, reviewing the run down conditions which lead to an uncomfortable and not clean feeling, I felt I had to check out of this location. However, the General Manager, Sandra Miller took the time to sit with me and discuss my concerns and handled the situation in a most professional manner. Althought the night staff were not mature or well versed on how to handle a concerned customer in this situation, I felt confident that Sandra would take care of the concern, work on additional training and genuinely felt sorry that I had to endure the experience. Although I would not stay at this location again for my annual visit to Murfreesboro, I wish Sandra a successful career in the hospitality business!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
sandramiller, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Murfreesboro, responded to this review, December 19, 2010
Dear Ms. Yorba,
I thank you for your kind comments!
Knowing that Bed Bugs have become an increasing epidemic in the states, we have made every effort to make sure our hotel is free and clean of Bed Bugs. Since your stay, the room you occupied was inspected by a Hilton approved exterminator, we also had the entire hotel inspected in November in an effort to be proactive and make sure that our hotel is free of bed bugs.
Our staff has been fully trained to inspect for bugs as they clean the room, it may add a little cost but is well worth that cost to keep our guest's safe!
We will continue to be proactive and have all of the guest rooms inspected on a regular basis.
I thank you so much for your comments and for taking the time to sit down with me and go over the issues from your stay. We value our guest's opinions and do use them to make changes when necessary.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and feel free to contact me at any time if there is anything I can do to be of further assistance.

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Since I am a Diamond level Hilton member we tend to stay at their properties for the upgrades and affinity program. Generally we stay at Hampton and once in a while with Doubletree. We are generally very pleased with Doubletree and this property was no exception. It came at the end of a long snowy drive from Atlanta and we were greeted warmly at checkin and presented with the customary cookies. The room on the exec level was nice and I think we were the only ones up there as witnessed by the empty exec lounge that evening and the next morning. December is always a slow travel month for business folks which makes it ideal for upgrade hounds like us! The snacks and foods presented in the lounge were quite nice and the service in the morning was especially good, the gal in charge offering us a bag to pack away some extra snacks for the road. She kept that coffee cup filled to the brim as well. The room was clean, warm and the bed was comfortable. We are able to surface only two complaints: an extra blanket in the room is nice and we always like it when the Golf Channel is on the TV channel guide. Neither were available. All in all, we would return. By the way, the pool is closed for renovations.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Doubletree Hotel Murfreesboro. We value our guest's opinions and I will see what I can do to get the golf channel added to our list of available channels.
We are in the process of changing our bedding and I agree an additional blanket in the room is necessary, an easy fix.
The pool area reopened today - I am sorry it wasn't open during your stay.
Thank you again for your comments!
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I first stayed here many years ago when it was a Garden Plaza. I'm pleased to say that the conversion to Doubletree was more than just a name change. The rooms have been renovated and are nice and up-to-date. The flat-screen TV was large and had a fairly good selection of channels. The bathroom was large with a large shower and a rainfall-style shower head. And the chocolate chip cookie at check-in is such a nice touch. WiFi is speedy and free.

However: the room smelled like an old basement. The housekeepers had applied liberal amounts of air freshener but they couldn't cover up the general dank odor. Also, the bed was nothing special (rather creaky, actually) and there are no plugs available anywhere near the bed. I like to charge my cell phone at bedside but had to charge it across the room on the desk.

I had colleagues staying at the brand new Hampton Inn and the brand new Embassy Suites, and I visited both of these hotels' lobbies. They are gleaming. No chocolate chip cookie, of course! But I wish I'd traded in my cookie for a new property, instead of an aging hotel with a facelift.

The Doubletree really should be significantly cheaper than the Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites. In my case, it was only about $10 cheaper per night. The next time I am in Murfreesboro, I will be staying at one of the newer hotels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 6-8 times over the last year and it's always a great experience. Good rooms, great bed, nice sports bar and breakfast and close to the highway.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Lynchburg, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Mother's,Girls nite out with my two daughters...This was my oldest daughter Ashley's birthday weekend and i made the plans for us to spend the night in Murfreesboro.I looked on line for us to have a nice place to stay over nite....After searching i kept coming back to the Doubletree site....So i booked us a room.....The staff is the greatest,helpful and friendly......We are planning on going back in July for my daughter Amy's birthday....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
sandramiller, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Murfreesboro, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
Thank you! Our staff is dedicated to providing Legendary service to all of our guests! We look forward to having you stay with us in July!

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

We were supposed to be on the executive floor, but were told when we arrived that our reservation had been changed by the manager to a downstairs room. The room was noisy and the corridor was busy with loud teenagers and too close to the pool & noise from that. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The food from room service was outstanding! We were not compensated for the move to a standard room and were not offered any explanation. We were told there were no more rooms available on the executive floor where we were originally booked. Corporate offered no reply to our complaint which we are very disappointed about. At the least, an apology was necessary!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
sandramiller, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Murfreesboro, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
While I was pleased to see that your room was clean and comfortable and that the food was delicious, I was sorry to read that you did not get the room type you reserved. I am also sorry you were not contacted earlier and the matter resolved.
It is our goal to provide legendary service, I am sorry we did not provide such service during your stay.
Please feel free to contact me at 615-895-5555 and I would be happy to discuss your stay further.'
Converse, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

The Doubletree Hotel is located off a major thoroughfare in Murfreesboro. To be completely honest, the location is convenient, but not very inspiring. It's surrounded by a small shopping mall, several strip malls, and plenty of vast parking lots. Nevertheless, our initial impressions of the hotel were favorable. Doubletree gave my husband a government rate of about $70 per night and, when we asked if we could be upgraded to their "executive floor", the clerk happily obliged. I don't think she even charged us for the privilege, which would allow us to get breakfast free.

Our room

We were assigned to room 529. The clerk had given each of us one of Doubletree's famous warm chocolate chip cookies. I had never heard of them before, but my husband had told me about them and how yummy they were. He was definitely right about that!

In any case, I had a devil of a time getting the door to open with the card key and it continued to be an issue for both of us throughout our stay. After about four or five swipes, it did finally let me open the door. I walked into a fairly small room equipped with a king sized bed, a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker, and a good sized bathroom. The bathroom was well lit and stocked with Neutrogena toiletries. There was no bathtub; instead, there was a tub sized shower with a large shower head.

The room had two telephones, one on the desk and one next to the bed. There was a large, rather bulky television on the dresser. It had the usual array of channels, plus HBO. A large half bay window opened out over a truly depressing sight. From our window we could see the well lit signs of chain businesses like Outback Steak House, Linens N' Things, Target, and Wal-Mart. Not an inspiring sight at all. There was a small clock radio on one of the nightstands.

Newspapers are supposed to be delivered daily during the work week, but we only got one delivered once. However, that wasn't a big deal because there were stacks of them throughout the hotel.

Dining

The Doubletree in Murfreesboro has a sports grill restaurant called Fanatics. We ate there our first night because we were tired of driving and not that hungry. The food in the restaurant was pretty good. Our waitress was very friendly and pleasant, even though she thought Sam Adams was an imported beer. We don't care about sports, but if we did, we would have been able to watch at Fanatics. The restaurant also has a couple of pool tables.

I believe Fanatics also supplies room service. We ordered room service on our third night and, unfortunately, our meals pretty much sucked. They came to us cold and my salmon filet was all dried out. However, the guy who brought them to us at least thought enough of us to bring us some water. It came in handy.

Aside from Fanatics, executive level guests have access to the executive lounge, which serves a continental breakfast. A very friendly lady runs it and it includes fresh fruit, cereals, cereal bars, pastries, homefries, and scrambled eggs. In the evenings, the executive lounge offers hors d'ouerves and a cash bar, also run by a very nice lady. The executive lounge has a television and several computers with Internet access and a printer.

Other amenities

Doubletree Murfreesboro has a nicely equipped exercise room. My husband used it every day. It has an elliptical machine, stationery bike, and a treadmill. All three machines are equipped with screens so you can watch TV while you exercise. The room also has free weights, a medicine ball, and pilates equipment. Guests also get complimentary access to the Gold's Gym located across the busy highway in front of the hotel.

One of the reasons I picked this hotel was because it had a heated indoor/outdoor pool. I like swim when I can. The indoor/outdoor pool are connected to each other and easily accessed from the water. I stuck to the indoor side, which was five feet deep. Doubletree keeps the area supplied with pool towels and a couple of nice chaise lounges. Unfortunately, there is no whirlpool.

Naturally, there are several conference rooms and ballrooms available for rent. They were well used during our visit.

The staff

We were very impressed by the staff at this hotel. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating, especially the breakfast lady in the executive lounge. The housekeeper did a great job keeping our room neat and clean and she left us with complimentary water every day. The hotel itself is relatively nice, but sort of ordinary. What sets it apart is a good staff.

Overall

I would have no objections to staying at the Doubletree Murfreesboro again, even though the proximity to the shopping mall made it easy for me to spend money. Although the hotel lacks superior amenities like a spa, there is a spa/beauty salon within walking distance of the hotel. I went there on Thursday and got a very nice haircut.

Murfreesboro is not the most exciting town in the world, but it's not far from Nashville and does offer a few local attractions, including Middle Tennessee State University. If you have a need for a hotel in the Murfreesboro area, I would recommend the Doubletree.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Wow - thank you so much for the very detailed description of our hotel and your stay with us! I know that many travelers will also appreciate your attention to detail. I was sorry to see that the food was not good and will share your comments with our kitchen and restaurant team.
Thank you again!
Sandra Miller

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Murfreesboro? Share your experiences!