“We have been a Fan since Day 1” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #124 of 348 restaurants in Murfreesboro
Cuisines: Mexican
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“We have been a Fan since Day 1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

About 8 years ago Carmen's opened up in the strip mall behind their current location. It was Love at First Taste.
In their newest incarnation (a recent Renovation ) Carmens is bright, roomy and colorful. There are even a few outside tables.
Now for the best part the food and drinks. If you eat ate the chain Mexican places the menu might be puzzling. The dishes are a bit closer to Mexican than its American cousins.
I positively love the Cuban Sandwich, probably the best Ive had in 40+ years of travel ad eats.
If you have never had the Agua Frescas treat yourself. These are fresh fruit drinks without the sugary tastes of American juices; better yet try the Orchata, a sweet rice drink. It may sound bizarre but its worth a try.
Carlos and Carmen have tried their hardest to bring flavorful authentic food to Murfreesboro.
If you want the real deal give them a try.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

63% Recommend
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
“Great Food but Horrible Service and Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Probably the worst service of any restaurant I have eaten at in Murfreesboro. We have eaten at Carmen's Tacqueria 5 times. I am going to go ahead and say we are 20% tippers whether the service is good or bad, so our service didn't stink because we are bad tippers or are rude. 3 times we have eaten there, we have had to have our bill corrected because items weren't taken off. We go there soley because the food is good, so we tend to overlook the management and service. Tonight, we went to Carmen's for my wife's birthday. We were going to Camino Real, as we live on the other side of Murfreesboro. I found a coupon in Value Mint (a coupon book you find in Kroger and other stores) for FREE Cheese Dip AND Guacamole, so I asked my wife if she would rather go there. She hesitated because of previous slow service, but said that would be fine. We came in the restaurant and waited 5 minutes for someone to come over and ask about drinks. We then waited 10 minutes for someone to bring simple drinks to our table ( a Coke and two glasses of water) We ordered the cheese dip and guacamole when the drinks came. It took about 10 more minutes to bring out simple guacamole and cheese dip. Our server did not take out order until about 20-25 minutes after we came in the door. The food was great, but I had to get up and ask for more chips from the kitchen. I ordered a combination meal that included a soft drink. I told the waitress that my daughter could have my soft drink as I drank water. When the bill came, I handed the server my coupon for the guacamole and cheese dip and asked let her know the drink had not been removed from the bill. She stated that she charged my daughter for the drink because she ordered separate. I told her it didnt matter who drank the drink because it came with my meal, and I told her my intentions of giving it to her when I ordered. I also noticed that the cheapest of the appetizers had been removed, but not both. I told her that the coupon was for both the cheese dip AND the guacamole as it plainly states on the ticket. She and her manager refused to take both off, even though it was the offer on their coupon. I let her know we would not be back. There was no posting on their door or anywhere stating they were not honoring the coupon they placed in Value Mint coupon book. This is the second time in a row we have had issues with our bill. The manager (possible owner) should have come to our table to talk with us, and let us know it was a misprint (MAYBE?), however, he left it to the server to come over and tell us the coupon would not be honored as it was written, which is undoubtedly horrible management. We tipped $5 on a $24 tab despite the poor service, It will take a lot for us to go back. A $3 management call cost the owner ill will with a customer and plenty of bad publicity.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Best Mexican Food in the Boro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Carmen's is just a great place to eat authentic mexican food. They have so many great dishes that you will have a hard time picking just one to try. It does not have a lot of fancy decorations that many american/mexican resaraunts seem to have, just great food. The staff are all very friendly and the atmosphere is one of enjoying your food with friends and family. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
“Most Authentic Mexican Around!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

If you're looking for Tex Mex this isn't the place for you. The food is amazing however! The tacos (soft corn, meat, onions, cilantro then squeeze a lime over it) are TREMENDOUS!! Pork, Chicken, Steak...all great!! Love this place! Salsas are delicious too!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“As Good As It Gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stumbled on this restaurant by finding a coupon in one of our local coupon booklets. The second we walked in we were seated. This was a Friday night around 7:00...Excellent! The menu is real authentic Mexican food. I've never been to any around here with real cactus in the food. I love getting a big 36oz DosXx with my meal. The pitchers were the price of one I pay at a normal Mexican restaurant so I tried out the pitcher. Totally expecting a small rip off but NO! It was a nice big pitcher. Did I mention there was live music? Both times we have been now there is a single musician playing nice acoustic music in the corner. The atmosphere is the best around hands up! The servers are sweet nice pretty young Mexican ladies. The food excellent and plentiful. They do not skimp on anything. The prices are by far cheaper than the other locals. I'm vegan so the meal I get it huge and under $7.00.
This is our new "Friday Night Date" place!! Love this place! They deserve the Ruthies award!

• Visited April 2013