“great for parties” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
scranton, pa
“great for parties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

great for hotel parties! i packed 20 ppl into my room, had music blastin, made a huge mess and nobody bothereed me!

• Liked — the parties!
  • Disliked — idnt have room service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
shelton, connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

Yes, it's really, really true. You do get what you pay for. I booked this hotel on the weekend of the Steamtown Marathon, which my husband was running. As we drove up and tried to avoid the very deep pothole/cutouts in the ancient parking lot, I had a very bad feeling about this place. We checked in, the lobby is extremely small, old and smelly. And, this is where they "serve" the complimentary breakfast. I didn't partake of that, it just looked too dirty and old. We got to the room and I checked out the bathroom where the first order of business was wiping the urine off the rim of the toilet. The bathroom is very old and creepy looking; they tried some quick cosmetic touches to brighten it up; didn't really help. So, I had ordered a roll away for my daughter and when I saw it, it had some mysterious blood red staining on the side of the mattress. I think it was nail polish, but it had to be a whole bottle, because it was one big stain. There was a pull out couch in the room, so we just used that instead. The sheets they gave me for the bed were disgusting. You could tell they had been washed and dried at least 500 times, they were practically threadbare. I made up the sofa bed for my daughter before she arrived and sprinkled talcum powder over the sheets just to make it more bearable. There was no clock, but there was a nice coffee maker. The smell in the room was not too bad, but was still musty and smoky (even though this was a "non-smoking" room). I agree with another review regarding the very noisy halls. It was horrible; I had to run the heating/ac unit just to be able to sleep. The exterior doors of the bldg do not lock, so any random person could just walk in and and take a nap in the carpeted hallway, or just use the roll away I put there which wasn't picked up until the following morning. Needless to say, next time I book something, I'll know that the very low price really is too good to be true.

• Tips/Secrets — stay away!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

Stayed here while visiting daughter in college and would not recommend it to anyone! It was missing a few amenities listed on its site,such as it did not have a vcr,iron or ironing board,no microwave or alarm clock.In fact it had no clock at all.I did not bring a hairdryer and guess what? None in the room either!Restaurant? Closed.Pay Movies? When i called the front desk to ask the price of a movie i was told $11.00 and advised to go to the movie theatre instead! As for the Bar/Nightclub it is only opened on Sunday? We had ot change rooms in the middle of the night because the toilet leaked and flooded the bathroom floor. There also was no room service just a map to the local restaurants! Would NEVER recommend this place to anyone!!!! Pleas pay the extra bucks and stay somewhere, anywhere else!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somwhere else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

My husband, son and I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Scranton PA on Aug. 18 & 19 2006. Let me just say that it was very disgusting. The first room we were given the toliet leaked so bad that it was about 1/4" deep and all over the floor. The shower curtain had black mold all over it and was torn so bad I don't even know how it stayed up with the curtain rings. They changed our room. It had a pair of underware in the bathtub. Now tell me, if the bathroom was cleaned after the last person left how was there underware still there. The matress sits on a platform, around the matress was hair. I mean hair laying all in and around it. As far as the "Helpful Information list" that was provided by the hotel advertising their accomidations let me just list a few- No shower massage, no alram clock, no tub crab bar, no clock radio, no coffee maker, no in room computer hook-up, no hiar dryer, no irioning board or iron.. When we showed the manager the confirmation paper that list all of this, he acted stunned and asked where I got it because they don't have anything like what is listed. I know you get what you pay for, but come on. This was Crazy.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go there
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Barrie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

These reviews do not do this hotel justice. However, I suppose that words could never describe what a discusting dump this place is. I booked this hotel because we were travelling through Scranton on a Saturday night. Most hotels were booked because of the Red Cross assisting the flood victims. The reviews were terrible but we were advised that the rooms had all been renovated. This was confirmed by emails from "Choice Hotels".

Well they lied. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot and lloked at the scummy front windows I knew we were in trouble. Wanted to turn around and keep going. However it was after six and they had my money so we decided that since we were campers we could take anything. Not True!! The person on the desk confirmed that the hotel had not been renovated no matter what "Choice Hotels" had stated. That There was ongoing renovations taking place on the Bar but not the rooms.
We took our key and walked to our room dodging the empty beer and liquor containers and used condoms. Opened the door the smell was discusting. the room was dirty and there was a hole in the ceiling.

We immediately decided we would rather lose our deposit than stay in such a filthy establishment. The clerk said that he would not charge us and this remains to be seen. However just because this hotel is part of the "Choice Hotels" chain does not make it decent. I now believe that "Choice Hotels" would hang there name on an outhouse. In fact any outhouse would be an upgrade to this hotel.

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

This was by far the WORST hotel I've ever stayed in. It was filthy, absolutely filthy. The smell that hit us when we walked in was abominable, worse than stale smoke. There were burn holes in the comforter and sheets, and burn marks on the tables... clearly the hotel doesn't enforce their no smoking policy. The mirrors were so smeared you could barely see your reflection and the window looked as though it had never been cleaned. We would have been better off if we had slept in our car. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed September 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2005

I've stayed here a couple times because it is the cheapest place to stay, but it is really gross. The first time was ok, no problems. The second time, the shower wouldn't drain and there was pee on the toilet seat. I told the manager about the drain and he kind of laughed. The third time, there was pee on the toilet seat again. Very gross.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!