“Frightening” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Vancouver, BC
“Frightening”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have low expectations of places like this. It's supposed to be bare-bones, but this was ridiculous. There's some kind of odor in the dimly-lit corridors, and the walls and doors are so thin that you can easily hear your neighbors' conversations, fights, sexual escapades... The exterior isn't properly lit at night, and it's in a remote part of town. I didn't even feel comfortable taking my (large) dog out to pee after dark.

The interior isn't particularly clean. There's hair and food its in the bedframe, huge chips out of most of the furniture and the carpet can best be described as 'sticky'

To top it off, this places isn't easy to find. I should have given up and stayed somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Rome, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have NEVER been more disgusted by a hotel before. There were bobby pins and hair all over the bed frame, and burn holes in the comforters. The entire place smelled, couldn't quite place what the smell was, but it wasn't good. The lock on the door could have been broken quite easily. I wouldn't even sit on either of the chairs in the room, or the beds. We spent maybe 5 minutes in the room and then went to the front desk to say we couldn't stay there. Apparantly we weren't the first, because the woman at the front desk gave us absolutely no problem refunding our $$, and didn't even really question why we were leaving. We went 5 minutes South on 81 and stayed at the Sleep Inn, which was a palace compared to this dump. We stay almost exclusively in Choice Hotels, and I am surprised that they have their name attached to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Altoona, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The flags are flown incorrectly to start with, US is always highest flown on American soil. The front desk clerk speaks very softly, I think to hide an accent. Carpets and hallways stink and restaurant is closed completely, has been for a while apparently. Room appeared clean although there were some areas that certainly could be cleaned a lot better than they were. Pool was good, clean and presentable, towels not so plentiful. Outside of building and driveway could definitely use some maintenance as well.
Not too bad for the money but not what I was expecting either. Spend a few more dollars and sleep better and get a better breakfast!

Room Tip: Take a deep breath before entering the hallways, if you're lucky you can make it to your room be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

To begin, I should mention that we typically stay in a Hampton Inn level hotel. The Scranton Econo Lodge was our first experience at an Econo Lodge. I must say I was kind of disappointed. We recently stayed in a 1960s hotel that was cleaner and in better repair, although never upgraded, than this Econo Lodge.

When we exited I-81, we were slightly disturbed to find we were being routed back through a deserted road that felt just a bit creepy late at night. The hotel was definitely NOT upgraded and was only slightly well maintained. There was no lock on the exterior doors to the hallways. Anyone could walk in at any time without a key.

Service was good with easy check-in and an immediate call to both our adjoining rooms see if everything was satisfactory. It was difficult to tell if the rooms were dirty or just hadn't been well-maintained. There was hair in one of the bathrooms, but the other tub looked very clean. Paint was peeling on the doors in both rooms. Light switches looked dirty. Some updates had been done sometime fairly recently, considering there were fairly new headboards and granite countertops in the bedrooms and bathrooms. Nice fridges and microwaves were included in the rooms. I was going to put food in one fridge, but the handle to its cabinet enclosure was gummy, so I didn't bother. The sheets and towels seemed to be clean. The outdoor pool was clean but not especially inviting and did not seem to include any poolside towels.

As far as the continental breakfast goes, it would be best not to expect much. It consisted of two types of cereal, milk, juice, bagels and English muffins to toast, packaged doughnuts, and coffee in a really cool brewer. If you don't want fruit or anything healthy, it is sufficient and a convenient start to the day.

Maybe for the price, this hotel was acceptable. However, we realized we have grown very spoiled in our previous hotel experiences. We didn't realize how luxurious they were.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
norwich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

every thing was clean no bad smells a bit hard to find good value free breakfast helpfull staff

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pori
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My friends and I stayed here last summer and were very disappointed. It's a bit dirty and worn out. The beds weren't comfortable and it seemed as though there were shady activities happening in some of the other rooms. i wouldn't go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I must say, when I pulled into the Econo Lodge in Scranton I almost turned around and immediately left, forfeiting my $49.99 rate that I had already paid. We were on a cross-country roadtrip and looking for a simple highway-side motel to catch a few z’s in on our trip. When we realized we would make it to Scranton for the night, the best rate we found in town was at the Econo Lodge so we booked without doing much research. The hotel is located in a dark area, on a side road off the highway. The property itself has poor lighting which made it feel quite unsafe. After we checked in and got our room, we were a little more comfortable. The rooms, although a bit old, were in good shape and we ended up getting a good night of sleep. Despite the low price, not sure I would stay at this property again unless they did some upgrades on the façade and lighting near the lobby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!