“great little restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“great little restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I've been eating at this restaurant for over 15 years. Love this place, they have the best chicken parm in city. Pasta and gnocchi are homemade as is the sauce. Yes for dinner on a Saturday night you will be there for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, there food is made to order it's not boil in a bag like the chain restaurants. Pizza is great, wings, everything your heart could want. I go there with friends and family, have had big parties there, always have done a great job. Now for the people complaining about different thing, you can't please everyone! People have different tastes, you grow up with different food and preparation so it is impossible to please everyone. For me and my friends and family this is our place! love the sit down dinners, the chef's do a great job! Mario our waiter is the best ! Sammy Jr. in the kitchen keep coming up with more great specials you never cease to amaze me! great job! Thank you for all the years of great food, can't wait to come back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pittston, Pennsylvania
“Just Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Went for pizza because it was so highly rated on the NEPA pizza review. The restaurant itself is dismal. It's no wonder it's dimly lit because the walls are dirty. Service is slow. The waitress didn't know the soup selection for the day & didn't know the specials even though I heard her listing the specials to another table. Ordered a Chicago deep dish and 6 cuts of Old Forge style. The Chicago deep dish is a misnomer. It should be called Sicilian round. It was nothing like a Chicago deep dish. It has a strange cheese mixture, maybe Parmesan, mozzarella, and American? The sauce is well seasoned but the crust is way too thick. Don't get me wrong, it was tasty for what it was, but should not be described as Chicago style. The old forge style was dried out and with an odd flavor and texture. The sauce and cheese are both too thick and when over cooked as it was, they stick together in a strange way. If the service was better and the environment was more inviting, I would be more apt to return to try other dishes.

Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great takeout pizza, but skip the sit down restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Get pizza to take out, but skip the attached "fine dining" sit down restaurant. The food is pretty tasty, but I guess if you have to wait 2 hours for it, anything will taste good when your hungry. This was the 2nd time there that we experienced terrible service and there will not be a 3rd! My wife and our 2 friends went for dinner on a Saturday night. It took us at least 20 minutes from the time we sat to get our drinks. (Note that the restaurant was packed, but there was plenty of staff on hand.). Prior to reading the specials, the waitress said "I'm going to start reading the specials, but I hope the kitchen doesn't page me." Well, half way through telling us the specials, her pager goes off and she says, "I'll be right back, I have to get this food out." She finally makes it back 10 minutes later or so and finishes reading the specials and leaves again. We finally get our orders in about 45 minutes after we sat down. I ordered first, but changed my mind after everyone else had ordered. Next comes the wait. We waited at least 45 minutes to an hour for our food, and never during that time did she stop over to see how our drinks were or apologize for the wait. So, our food finally comes out and guess what, our one friend's dish was wrong. So while the rest of our food sits on the table and gets cold, she goes to the kitchen. To fix it. 10 minutes later, her gnocchi comes out looking like it was quickly thrown on a plate. We ate our food (we're not ones to complain) and then asked for the check which took about another 10 minutes to get there. Guess what...it was full price, no comps, and no apology. Again, we're not ones to complain (although I believe we had every right to), so we paid our check and will never go back. I don't mind taking 2-3 hour to eat with friends, but there better be a few courses and it had better be worth it!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Food and customer service is terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Today, September 14 2013, my wife and I with our two children decided to go samarios restaurant on market st in scranton. My first impression was that it was a nice atmosphere with the lighting being dimmed and the candles on the tables. Once seated we quickly realized why, the seats are all torn. We ordered wings, fries and two pizzas ( stuffed steak and cheese, and one red square). It took over 30 minutes to get the wings and over 40 to get the fries. Once the pizza came out, it was cold. The waiter was apologetic, but the manager was nothing but rude and extremely dismissive. We paid the bill and left. I then had the idea to call and talk to the owner about the situation, and he too, was ignorant and rude. Even as my wife in the background of the phone was saying the same thing I was saying, he said that the conversation was over because he could hear my wife. Explaining to him that she was also irate with what happened, he tried saying that I was a low-life scum--- and I wanted my total bill compted. This was not true since we had already left the restaurant. This is the last time I will ever go there and I hope that more of you heed my warning

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“If the food and health hazards don't kill ya, the service will!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I was really surprised to read the positive commentary on Samarios. There are dozens of restaurants in Scranton to make better use of your time and money. Food, service and cleanliness of both the restraunt and adjoining pizza shop are deplorable. The service is perhaps the worst I've experienced anywhere, ever. Trish, the owner, sets a low bar when it comes to service and her employees follow suit. The food is beyond substandard. Worst of all, health inspectors are long overdue for a visit.

• Visited February 2013