“a bit of a throwback” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Kosher
Harwich, Massachusetts
“a bit of a throwback”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I ate at Abe's Kosher Deli one evening in late fall when we were passing through Scranton. It reminded me of the kind of kosher home-style cooking that I experienced with my grandmother in the '50s and have not had in a long time. In our visit to the restaurant, it appeared to us that the other diners were regulars--and that the owner seemed to take as part of his role to provide familiar kosher fare to many in the small remaining Scranton Jewish community. This is not meant to be snide or critical. In fact, I think that the restaurant largely succeeds in this role. We learned that they have customers who eat their twice a day. We observed that the atmosphere at Abe's was comfortable and homey; the service was good and appropriately attentive. While the food cannot be called gourmet, it was in fact what the regulars seem to expect and want. For my part, I have to confess that the meal brought back old memories and I enjoyed it--perhaps somewhat more than my wife enjoyed hers.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania
“A true NYC style Jewish Deli”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Good food, good lunch. Its cozy but I get my lunch in a timely manner and its only half a block from the courthouse. Been going here since before they moved to the new location. A local favorite.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
“Poor Abe's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The soup was and salty; the kreplach were hard and undercooked (on several occasions), the pastrami was fatty, the prices high, especially considering the (low) quality. Despite its convenient location near the SCC, I'll not be returning anytime soon.

Visited November 2012
NY
“Just an ordinary meal....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was my first meal in Scranton, and things only got better. The corned beef was very good, but the remainder of the meal (eggs, hashbrowns, bagel, potato pancakes) was only ordinary. Prices and service were good, but I was not impressed overall.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Best deli in Scranton!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Food is always delicious and consistent. Great potato pancakes!
(No need to wait for the Summer Church Picnics!) They'll prepare anything the way you want it.

Visited July 2012