“Good small city steakhouse” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Binghamton, New York
“Good small city steakhouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Peter Lugers, Ruth's Chris, Bryant and coopers in Long Island, some of my fave steakhouses. Eat at these places 3-6 times per year when traveling. Carl Von Lugers is pretty close in terms of quality for a smaller city steakhouse. Steak was pretty close to Peter Lugers. Sides were okay and very small. Salads and appetizers were really good. Wedge salad was perfect. Of course the most important aspect for steak lovers is the quality of the steak. The porterhouse was close to the quality at peters, just about. Same price range. Expensive. Which you can expect at such an establishment. I would definitely dine there again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Pottsville, Pennsylvania
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I dined here last evening and, although no our first choice, we were pleasantly surprised! We were in Scranton to see a show and our planned destination was too crowded, so we decided to take a stroll and see what the area offered. We came upon CVL and the décor looked inviting, so we decided to check it out. The service was very good, our waitress was very pleasant and attentive. The restaurant has nice ambiance, there was soothing jazz music and the food was very good. The crab cakes do have some filler but were quite tasty! We don't go to Scranton very often but would definitely return!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Southport, North Carolina
“Von Luger's rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

On a road trip to NY. Pulled into Scranton looking for a place to have a good meal and a little rest from the road. Found CVL and decided to try it. Lovely dining room, great food at a good price and Suzie at the bar was a gem!!! Even the lotion in the ladies room from Fanciful Fox was a treat. This place is in my phone as a place to go back to!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cheaper Than I Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Located in comparatively sedate Scranton (sedate compared to NYC and Philly) I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the service.

Other posters compare the prices to NYC and London ... Huh? I don't know where they were dining in those cities unless it was Sizzler. The prices seemed to be the about the same as suburbia near NYC and Philly and that only applies to the entrees - not the sides or appetizers (as far as I could see.) Frankly, the sides weren't as good as my filet mignon (very nice crust) or as good as other steakhouses... too bad. The butter, BTW, that came with the bread was divine! The desserts were very nice, too. (I hope I spelled that right.)

I'd go there again - no question about it.

Houston, Texas
“The beef is just fabulous!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We started with a piece of grilled bacon, it was so good. You can also add their own sauce, to be tried! My entree was a filet mignon, and I ordered it rare, with spinach puree. Too good! Be careful with the size, it looks like Texas size. Prices are a bit high, but I would recommend this restaurant for Valentine's day evening!

• Visited September 2013