“Expectations met” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Lancaster, PA
“Expectations met”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I called them about 1AM and asked if they had any rooms for the evening. Yes.. they had a few left. I was a little taken back at the price they quoted for this late of an hour. I told them I would take it for 20 less and they accepted. This property is starting to show its wear but overall, its holding the expectations that I would have for a Fairfield. Breakfast was good and internet speed was decent. I've staying in various places nearby and don't feel as though this is the best value overall.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chelsea C, Manager at Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that we were able to meet your expectations and hope that we will see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were on our way back from Lime Rock and needed a place to crash. The Fairfield was very reasonable. The woman that greeted us was very nice and suggested a few restaurants for us. The room was nice and the mattress was very comfortable. Its not a Marriott but as Fairfield's go we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chelsea C, Manager at Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our Fairfield Inn hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will stay with us next time you are in the Scranton area!
Boca Raton, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Love this hotel off I-81 and 35 minutes to my son's sleep away camp. Spent the night before visiting day at the hotel. We got there early and a room was procured quickly. The air conditioner sounded like a diesel motor when it came on. Fortunately maintenance fixed it immediately with the tightening of some screws. The housing was loose and vibrating. Great shopping and restaurants nearby, makes visiting day pleasant. Great free breakfast in the morning. Try the automatic pancake machine, really amazing.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chelsea C, Manager at Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope to see you again next time!
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We enjoy staying at Marriott properties, so tend towards these when travelling. For this reason we ended up at Scranton Fairfield Inn on a roadtrip.

It is in a good location - close to highway access, a mall, and several restaurants. There's not much of a lobby, and the person at the front was fine, but perhaps distracted with a conversation about their weekend plans with another employee.

The room was MUSTY. I couldn't quite get over the smell, but we were exhausted so didn't bother switching rooms. I'm not sure what they wash their sheets in, but I was itchy all night. My mother was fine, so it was just me. Breakfast was fine - standard continental breakfast offerings with the addition of waffles for those interested.

there are quite a few other options in the area at the same price point, so I'm not sure that we would return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chelsea C, Manager at Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We sincerely apologize that our Guest Service Agent didn't give you their full attention at check in and we will make sure that we review this with our team. We also apologize for hearing about your room smelling musty and your sheets feeling itchy. We take great pride in our cleanliness and hearing feedback like this is welcomed so we can investigate where we are not fulfilling our expectations. We apologize for this and thank you for brining it to our attention. We hope despite of this we will see you in the future.
Dover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We visited the Scranton area last weekend for a leisure weekend. Checking into this hotel was a great experience as it took less than a minute! Never before has this happened at any hotel. The room was nice and comfortable typical of a Marriott hotel, it was easy to get on the turnpike as well as close to a shopping center. Wifi was easily accessed, breakfast was OK (not as complete as many other Fairfield hotels) but if we return to the area we will surely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelsea C, Manager at Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thankk you for your review! We appreciate you taking time to write about us and are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We take pride in upholding high cleanliness and guest service standards and are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again!
Central PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a nearby wedding. We are familiar with the area, and chose the Fairfield due to its location and relatively good price for the weekend.
Check in was easy, and all staff courteous and helpful.
The room size was a little on the small size.....two adults and two children felt a little claustrophobic by morning.
As the prior reviews say, the entire place needs updating, while very clean, carpeting, bedding, curtains, and entire bathroom feel tired.
The kids liked the pool, and the pool area also very clean and warm.
Breakfast was average. Small room, but staff very attentive to refilling, cleaning, etc.
With the other choices around, not sure we will be back, but ok stay this time. You definitely get what you pay for!

• Stayed April 2013
Chelsea C, Manager at Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel! We appreciate all feedback. We're glad that our guest service and cleanliness fulfilled your expectations. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Scranton and that you'll consider staying with us again!
Holbrook, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I am in agreement with a prior reviewer that this hotel is not quite up to what I would expect for a Marriott Fairfield property. There are a few positives I will get to first...

1. Great quality WiFi coverage. This is a rarity in most hotels. If you are a frequent traveller, you know that most properties offer token WiFi service. It is routinely there but seldom very usable. Not so here. This is a plus for a biz traveller
2. Rooms and bedding are clean.

The neutral stuff...

1. Token breakfast that is no better or worse than the competition. However, like the competition, the breakfasts are heavy on the carbs and sweet stuff. OK for kids, not so great for biz travelers. More or less what you expect from a Fairfield and similar.
2. Bedding is in descent condition. Lots of pillows.
3. Bathrooms are pretty clean as expected.

The negatives...
Not terrible here but to be fair and complete, you may want to know...

1. The hotel rooms and bathrooms (and maybe the common areas) can really use a refresh. Like a "well lived in house", it is clean and nothing is really broken. It is just that the place is not fresh. This leaves me uncomfortable.
2. Consistent with the above, the chairs in the room had strange stains on it, the shower curtain was dirty, walls could use repainting
3. Bathroom was clean but somewhat unsightly (dirty or missing caulking, counter delaminated). Small stuff but does not create an atmosphere that makes me comfortable.
4. Towels in the bathroom need to be replaced. They seemed old, stiff and somewhat thin. I realize this is not the Ritz Carlton but I think even a modest hotel like this needs to refresh towels... often. Little things mean a lot.
5. AC units are pretty noisy. I could not only hear mine going on and off all night but my neighbors as well. Makes for an uneasy sleep for me.

Overall, I suppose I would stay here again though it would not be my first or second choice. Nothing glaringly wrong but there are better choices in the area even among the more budget oriented chains. First impressions mean a lot to me. When I walk into a room, the first impression must make me comfortable. Not so here... at least for me. I expect a hotel, which does this for a living, to know what it takes to make the right first impression. If I were an objective manager and walked around with a clipboard, I could find a bunch of stuff to improve.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chelsea C, Manager at Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking time to write about us. We are happy that you were pleased with our wi-fi coverage and room cleanliness. We will address the neutral and not so great parts of your review with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to make sure that we fix them. Thank you again.

Been to Scranton Fairfield Inn by Marriott? Share your experiences!