“Suite 205 Was Definitely A 'Home Away From Home'! Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Sydney, Australia
“Suite 205 Was Definitely A 'Home Away From Home'! Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Another day of running, this time 50.7 km from Gibson-Scranton, PA has bought us to Residence Inn by Marriot. Room 205 was absolutely perfect & huge; definitely one of the best rooms we have stayed in since arriving in the US in mid February. Every night’s been a different motel room & this one was up there with the best! There was a king size bed (which was so comfy), massive flat screen tv, a two-seater sofa and a separate single lounge chair, coffee table, desk & a fully equipped kitchen: electric stove top, full sized fridge, microwave, dishwasher, saucepans, frypan, crockery, plates, cutlery, small dining table and two chairs! It was fantastic! I was so excited about seeing a kitchen that I went to Wegman’s grocery store to pick up some bits & pieces to cook for dinner/supper. It’s about a mile up the road (a must see if you have never been to one – incredible). I wish they had more of these throughout the US. If you live in and around Scranton you are lucky to have such variety to choose from at Wegmans! The room’s only fault was that the hotel itself is positioned near a busy highway. Even though it’s set right back from the road you can still hear the traffic. We always travel with silicon earplugs so it really wasn’t that much of an issue. I also agree that the hotel foyer needs an automatic door opener. It was hard to hold the door open and get the luggage cart through the door. Breakfast was definitely better than most hotel chains we’ve stayed in. There was all the usual bits & pieces plus freshly cut up rockmelon, yoghurt, hot oatmeal, brown sugar, walnuts, cranberries etc. They also had a lovely selection of teas. I would have liked to have stayed another day but my husband needs to continue his run around the world so it’s off to another motel room in Mount Pocono tonight! Somehow I don’t think it’s going to be as good as the Residence Inn by Marriott! Thank you! Would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room away from the highway to avoid the traffic noise. (Or else start travelling wit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amanda E, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Scranton, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback, we are truly happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Good luck on the rest of your adventure!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Harbeson, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I used Marriott Rewards to book this location. We did arrive late but the reservation had been mad through the Marriott Silver members line. We were assigned an "accessible" room. The bath tube looked as if it was filled with sand from a beach visit. Turns out, it was just in need of a reserfacing. Room was clean but on the first floor. My Marriott profile request upper floors.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chelsea C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Scranton, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, we are very sorry we did not exceed your expectations and will use your comments as a retraining exercise.
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

AS A PLATINUM MARRIOTT MEMBER, I AM USE THESE HOME AWAY FROM HOMES...SPOTLESS CLEAN WAS THIS PROPERTY. Staff was very friendly, lots of stores near by. Pasta, salad, meatballs for dinner, free beer. Usual residence inn breakfast, well attended to. WiFi and Tv reception was good-show time, local and usa today. very clean! However I culd heart the 5:30 am wake up call above me...pricey at $149

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive review. We try to make all of our guests feel satisfied with their stays and take pride in our staff service. We hope that you will stay with us again!
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here while working in the area. It is close to a lot of restaurants and shopping. I was in a corner room away from the highway so I didn't notice any traffic noise. All of the staff I came in contact were very friendly and helpful. I was in a King Studio and it was roomy. I liked that there were drawers in the bathroom so I could put stuff away instead of all over the counter. When I go somewhere to work, I am there for 11 days so I like to unpack everything and put it away. The bed was very comfortable. A small skillet in addition to the bigger one would have be nice. The Internet was easy to connect to and I only an issue once. It was taken care of with one phone call. I did find the desk chair uncomfortable. The room could use a little bit of an update, but it was clean and comfortable. I went to work about 6:15 so wasn't able to take advantage of the breakfast. It starts at 6:30. I did take advantage a couple of time of the evening reception.
My only complaint is that they need an automatic door opener. It was hard to hold the door open and get both bagges through the door. I would recommend this hotel and I'm heading back there tomorrow.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east end are the furthest from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive review. We try to make all of our guests feel satisfied with their stays. We hope that you will stay with us again!
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for work and my favorite thing was the staff! I travel a lot so I am used to the lonely lifestyle, but I loved seeing MaryAnn at dinner every night, Joann for breakfast and the entire front desk crew. I would go out of my way to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012
Chelsea C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Scranton, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We try to make all of our guests feel satisfied with their stays. We hope that you will stay with us again!
Ellicott City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We Spend one night in 2 bedroom suite, Room was nice and clean.
Kids enjoyed in the indoor pool. We also liked the fresh cooked breakfast in the morning.
Good place to stay.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chelsea C, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Scranton, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

During a recent road trip, we decided to stay at the Marriott Residence Inn to give ourselves a much needed break. I had booked the one bedroom suite but upon arrival, was pleasantly surprised to see that we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. Seeing my name on the notice board that welcomed rewards members was a really nice touch too!

Although I have stayed at several other Marriott chains in the past, this was my first time at a Residence Inn. I have however stayed at Hilton’s version (Homewood Suites) a few times and based strictly on esthetics, this Marriott fell a bit short. First impressions were that the building/structure was clearly on the older side. The suite was very spacious and clean though. The front door opened to a living room/kitchen area, complete with appliances, pull out sofa bed, flat panel tv and gas fireplace. Each bedroom was equipped with its own bathroom (toilet and shower in enclosed room with sink/vanity open to bedroom), very comfortable bed and flat panel tv. Unfortunately, this room faced the highway and being a light sleeper, I really didn’t get much sleep, which defeated the whole purpose of the stay. Also, the pull out sofa bed was not very comfortable.

The staff at the hotel more than made up for the noise though. Everyone from reception, to the cleaners, to the ladies running the breakfast room (more on this later) was incredibly friendly and seemed very genuine. The hotel offered a complimentary breakfast and they did not take the easy route with cereal and pastries. The ladies running the breakfast were exceptionally good and kept bringing out freshly cooked eggs, sausage, potatoes etc. They somehow also managed to get around on multiple occasions to each table and ensure that the guests were satisfied. Outstanding!

I did not have the opportunity to explore the hotel’s amenities so I can’t comment on those. On a semi-related note, there is a Japanese buffet/teppanyaki restaurant literally across the parking lot, which offered great value ($6.99 per person for weekday lunch). I’ll post a separate review on the restaurant shortly. There are plenty of other dining options in the area as well, most within walking distance.

Overall, and despite my comment regarding freeway noise, I would definitely recommend this hotel without hesitation. If you are cursed with being a light sleeper, just ask for a room that faces something more quiet and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face the freeway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Amanda E, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Scranton, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank you for the kind feedback, we strive to make all of our guests experiences a positive one. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Scranton? Share your experiences!