“This place is ok for under $50 a night...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Scranton

You added Days Inn Scranton to your Saves list
Days Inn Scranton
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1946 Scranton-Carbondale Hwy, Scranton, PA 18508 (Formerly Quality Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Seattle, Washington
“This place is ok for under $50 a night...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

I booked this hotel on priceline - got it for about $45 for one night - I was travelling through the area and needed a place to stay for just one night - I arrived late in the evening and checked out the following morning, so I was not there for long. This place is fine to flop for a night while passing through the area, although I would not recommend it for a longer stay. It is old - circa late 1960's or early 1970's and the bathrooms and furnishings date from that period, and they are worn, but they are clean, and I'll take worn and clean over something newer and dirtier. My only complaint was that the room did have that older hotel/disinfectant-type smell that you often encounter, but once I started up the room air conditioner I was able to circulate better smelling, fresher air into the room in about 10 minutes or so. The staff was friendly and accomodating. My room was quiet (I was on the top floor in a non-smoking room - always ask for the top floor so you don't have someone walking around in the room above you!). They gave me a complementary USA Today newspaper AND a Newsweek Magazine AND some discount coupons for other businesses/national chains - all of which is a nice touch that you don't see in many fanicer and more expensive hotels. This place includes a free hot breakfast but I'd recommend skipping that - the breakfast room was dreary and the food looked like it had been sitting. But for $45 a night, it's an ok place to catch some sleep time if you are pashing through Scranton.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the odor in my room, though i was able to turn on the a/c and fix that after a few minutes
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Easthampton, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

If I could give it zero stars, I would. Internet did not work. "Fitness Room" was closed. Dirty and depressing. I think the photos speak for themselves.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
w.va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

My Family and I were travelling to West Virginia, from New Hampshire. We made reservations at the Days Inn Scranton, for August 8, 2007. We wanted to spend a night somewhere in between. We found this hotel through Hotels.com.

Unfortunately, our drive took forever to Scranton. We did not arrive till 3:30am. We were so tired, our children ages 4 and 7 were tired and cranky. All we looked forward to was climbing into bed. My husband went in alone to the lobby to check us in. My sons and I waited for about 15-20 minutes, then decided to go in and see what was going on. Although, the door to the hotel was wide open and there was music playing in the office behind the front desk, there was nobody to find, except for my husband of course. No desk clerk to check us in. By this point, my children are freaking out because they just want to go to sleep. Myself and my husband, are getting more and more impatient. Wondering where the heck the desk clerk is. This goes on for another 20 minutes. Finally, we decide to leave. My husband had seen on the desk his name on a sheet of paper with our reservation information, so he wrote on this, that we waited for 40 minutes to check in, and that we were going to another hotel. On the 9th, we called and the front desk clerk told us, we could of just checked out. He then told her that we never checked in and why, and that he wanted to make sure we were not charged. She was rather snotty and told him, "well, that desk clerk was sick and we would have to call back to speak with her manager and have proof that we stayed at a different hotel. We ended up staying an extra night at the hotel we were at (The Marriot's Residence Inn - which was fantastic, the best customer service ever), so my husband went on the 10th to speek directly with the manager. She did not appologize. Just made excuses for her desk clerk being sick. She did write a note saying that we did not stay with them. But again in it trying to excuse her desk clerk's absence.
What has followed has been a very big pain! We have gotten charged. We had to contact Hotels.com. They tried to call the manager at Days, but was always told she was busy or not in. My husband tried calling, and always got the same thing. Everytime the desk clerk was very rude. Once, my husband said he didn't mind waiting. And, the desk clerk told him that her manager said that they would not put him on hold and either he gave them our phone number or they would hang up on him. He ended up doing this several times and they never called back.

It was very frustrating. We really could not believe how awful those people are, and the manager was at the Days inn in Scranton.

• Liked — Absolutely Nothing!! Nevermind, we booked it for the pool, and it was closed for maintenance.
  • Disliked — The customer service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Upstate NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

Here's the text of a letter I'm sending to this establishment:

Dear Proprietor:

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to stay in your fine lodging establishment. I wanted to convey my thoughts to you, because I have never experienced such an overnight stay in this type of environment. The bar has truly been moved.

First, kudos for your sign that said, "Welcome to 'Da Sinn'." That was a nice touch and a true harbinger of things to come. Indeed, it should be a sin to treat guests the way you do.

It's the little things that make a hotel so pleasurable. For starters, there was the door that was clearly designed to be pushed open, but only worked when you pulled it. There's nothing like standing there with an armful of luggage and equipment, looking like a refugee from a Far Side Cartoon trying to open a door that won't budge. Good times.

But it only got better! I was greeted by your lovely hostess, "Jennifer". Clearly, "Jennifer" is thrilled with her hospitality management career, as evidenced by her droopy eyes, crappy attitude and sour disposition. After repeatedly being informed that my reservation was cancelled, she finally looked up the reservation number and booked the room. This difficult task required assistance from the manager on duty, who was busy yelling at a customer on the phone--telling him he was on the wrong freeway, but offering no actual directions.

Jennifer kindly shoved the reservation slip on the desk, scowled, said to to "sign it", and gave up the room key, with two barely-readable photocopied (at least 15th generation) coupons for the breakfast buffet (more on this special delight later).

The elevator was among the smoothest I've ever ridden in. I attribute this to the underfed hamsters that were running it, because it was also the slowest lift I've ever experienced. At least it gave me time to enjoy the fine mirrored decor and well-worn pine woodwork in the elevator. Lovely.

Finally, I arrived at my fourth-floor destination. Here, the ceilings were the exact height of the top of the door frames! I amused myself on the way to my room by pretending to be Andre the Giant, jumping up to brush my head against the beautiful drop ceiling.

I scanned my pass key, and noted the lovely 1950's era polyurethane stain on the cheap pine doors. Even the obligatory warning signs on the inside of the door were covered by a thin coat of this yellowing poly! Yes, I'll feel secure here.

The room itself was the epitome of "lipstick on a pig". The lovely burgundy carpet was accentuated with dead flies, and the lamp in the corner was nowhere near an outlet, so someone thoughtfully draped an extension cord across the floor. Nice touch! The dripping faucet in the tub was a perfect companion to a quiet evening (again...more later!), and the decor of the bathroom was a lovely light aqua, with matching coloured toilet! I especially liked how the toilet lid was permanently wedged underneath the countertop, thus alleviating us of any argument about whether the seat should be left "top up" or "top down".

The dresser drawers thoughtfully contained copies of "The Watchtower", leftover notes from a previous guest, a Bible, and a bag of used light bulbs and wiring! How exciting.

Since the restaurant in the lobby was "closed for renovation", I picked up some take-out at a nearby establishment and returned to the room to enjoy dinner. In moving a small nightstand to serve as a makeshift table, I noticed that the carpet underneath was apparently cleaned around 1970. Sweet. I turned on the too-small TV, but there really wasn't anything on worth watching, so I tried to get a peek at the drive-in movie across the street. Unfortunately, my view of "Harry Potter" was blocked by the "Welcome to Da Sinn" sign I mentioned earlier.

Settling in for a nice evening, I pulled back the bedding in my non-smoking room, only to notice the cigarette burns in my sheets--strategically placed at nipple level. What are the chances of that? Just as I dozed off to dreamland, my blissful sleep was interrupted by a loud car alarm from a vehicle thoughtfully parked beneath my window. Eventually, the honking stopped, only to start up a few minutes later. This continued throughout the evening and into the morning. Apparently "Jennifer" was too busy sucking down bon-bons to call the police, or suggest that someone disconnect the freakin' battery.

In the morning, freshly awakened by the aforementioned bleating horn (apparently the batteries in those cars are quite robust), I prepared for my journey to the breakfast buffet, which (according to the voucher slip I held) ended at 9:30. The shower thoughtfully contained a (broken) soap dispenser, which did, indeed, dispense something marginally resembling soap, but which lathered about as well as pancake syrup. At least it was blue, which matched the sink and toilet.

While showering, I was interrupted by an uninvited guest--a large centipede, clearly drawn by the irresistible lure of a hot shower. I chased him underneath the sink, where he met an untimely death at the end of my foot. Note to housekeeping: He may still be there.

Unwanted guests vanquished (or so I thought), I proceeded to brew a cup of java, using the fine ground roast and miniature coffee pot thoughtfully provided by management. Starbucks has nothing to worry about; this "premium blend" had the color, consistency, aroma and fine flavor of instant "crystals" filtered through dirty socks. Mmmmm...ambrosia!

I then unpacked my clothes, carefully shaking out a large "June Bug" that sought refuge in my shirt overnight. I deposited him in the garbage can along with his dead fly brethren.

At 9AM, I proceeded to the buffet, which consisted of cold eggs, cereal, something that vaguely resembled a bagel, and various empty containers that apparently used to hold some kind of food. We were informed by the front desk staff that the buffet ended at 9AM. The staffer thoughtfully pointed to the sign, which said 9:30. Apparently, time is configured differently in Pennsylvania. I shall make note of this for my next trip.

On the way back to the lobby, I noted the indoor pool, which had the same strange aqua colour as my bathroom. The "high-speed Internet Access" promised on the large sign outside turned out to be a single aging DELL computer sitting in the lobby like an ugly girl at a Junior-High dance waiting for a suitable dance partner, with a chewed-up mousepad, crappy monitor, running Internet Explorer with absolutely no security provisions. "High-speed" was apparently a phrase borrowed from the elevator. I amused myself by thumbing through the history files of previous guests.

Checkout was a fine experience, with a new but equally surly front-desk attendant. Surely there must be some hospitality college missing a few dropouts nearby.

On my way out, I took note of the lovely skylights (covered with brown paint), the parking lot with no navigational aids to help you find your way out, and, of course, the "Welcome to Da Sinn" sign.

I think you'll understand if I don't return.

Your guest.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

Stayed there for 2 nights before the 2007 Pocono 500 (when it was jam-packed). I see no problem here. Being an older hotel, the rooms were a little dated, but quite spacious. The room was adequately clean, and being on the backside of the hotel, I had a great view of the Lackawanna Valley (stayed on the 3rd floor). Staff was friendly, and helpful. If I could come up with a couple of minor complaints, it would be slow elevators, and glass in the parking lot, although I'd probably attribute the later to it being Pocono 500 weekend. The "Full breakfast", which was basically a continental breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage, and potatoes, all in crockpots, was nothing special, but decent. The breakfast room too, was a little dated, and could have been cleaner, but fine. The indoor pool (with a jacuzzi) looks decent, but I did not use it. Nice little workout room, and free internet terminal in the lobby if you didn't have a laptop with you. All in all, a very nice place for the price.

Stayed June 2007
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

We stayed one night and read the reviews beforehand.
I think people are being too critical.
The room was spacious and clean. It had been renovated and was fine. The bath fixtures are blue and should be replaced but again no problems were encountered.
It's good value for the price.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Peckville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

I stayed in this hotel in October 2006. The room was dirty and it just did not seem sanitary. Not typical days in quality. Off to the side of the front lobby is club called Shakerz. Could be fun with a group. Highly advisable to avoid the restroom alone or any other place in this hotel alone. In April 2007, the female I was with was physically assaulted and robbed in the public restroom. Hotel staff were very slow to respond and seemed to react as though this was common. I was apalled. If you must stay here, be aware of your surroundings at all times and do not walk around with valuables or cash.

• Liked — Not applicable
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Days Inn Scranton? Share your experiences!