“Very pleasant overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Millburn, NJ
“Very pleasant overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

Stayed overnight and found this to be a clean, pleasant, attractive place. Notable moment: Late in the evening I went to the vending machine on our floor and tried to buy a bottle of water. Machine ate my money without giving me the water. I went down to the front desk. Person on duty immediately apologized, gave me back my money, and gave me a free bottle of water. That was a most appreciated gesture.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

I made an online reservation for the Hampton Inn in Scranton at Montage Mountain less than 24 hours before arriving; I needed a quick overnight stay en route between New England and Northern Virginia (on the "avoiding I-95 at all costs route"). I arrived, rental moving truck with car on carrier in tow, late in the evening to find the two staff members at the desk cheerful and helpful, and they got me checked in very quickly.

There were plenty of luggage carts available for me to take my bags to my room. The king-sized bed was very comfortable and laden with pillows. My room had a sofa and a desk (sorry, no photos this time!). The tub and toilet were behind a door with a sink; there was an extra sink with a mirror just outside the bathroom door. I realized I'd forgotten my toothpaste, and called the front desk to take them up on Hampton's promise of extra toiletries, and the chap there cheerfully offered to bring them to my room, for which I was grateful.

The hot breakfast Sunday morning wasn't the best I've ever had at a Hampton Inn; cubed ham in (powdered?) scrambled eggs, and seasoned potatoes. There were the usual bagels, and pastries, hot and cold cereal, and fresh fruit. Checkout was fast, as the receipt that was delivered under my door in the middle of the night was squared away with no errors.

If I need to make a stop along that travel route again, I'd choose the Hampton Inn in Scranton; when I arrived other travelers were walking in with no reservations and since space was available, the staff were friendly and helpful in accommodating them.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

We were just passing through. Had to get from NYC area to NC, but needed a place for a stopover. Hampton Inn Montage Mountain fit the bill on value and especially on location. Right off the highway.
It has the usual Hampton value-added features -- better-than-average rooms, service and food. But, the hotel was a little tired and worn.
Even so, we had none of the problems some have claimed. Our standard room was spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Tybee Island, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

This was a big room, but strange. You could barely get by the air conditioner when you were the one getting out of the far side of the bed. You had to turn sideways to get past it, which was a real pain during the night. The bathroom area had 1 sink in it and one sink outside, which is good. However, you couldn't get past the person standing there, because it was so narrow.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
chestnut hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We stayed here because we were going to the CrueFest at the Toyota Pavilion. ( Yes, I said the Cruefest. The future husband is a big fan.) We picked the Hampton because it was the closest to the mountain. As a matter of fact, it's at the bottom of the mountain.

I was very pleased with this hotel. The reviews here are pretty mixed, but I thought it was a really nice room with an unbelieveably comfy bed.The breakfast set up they had was decent - plenty of things to choose from and coffee is available in the lobby 24/7.

Our room was a king size suite - there was a nice little couch and desk in there.We ended up ordering pizza the first night since we got there so late - much better to eat on the couch than the bed!

There's a restaurant/pub called Marvelous Muggs directly behind the hotel. We stopped in for a quick drink/snack before we headed to the concert. Lots of standard (and not so standard) pub fare and the appetizers we ordered (along with the cocktails) were delish.

All in all, I thought the Hampton was a great place to stay in the area. The Toyota Pavilion was a great place to see a concert (even the Crue Fest!) and if we get tickets for something else there we will defintely stay at the Hampton.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

I stayed in three Hamptons during this trip. This was the one that had not been remodelled. The rooms were a little tired. The wifi was 'glacial'. But the location was nice, the view was great, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The management offerred to move me to another room when I mentioned the slow wifi, but it wasnt that important to me, but I really appreciated their attitude. I was just chilling out in the lobby when the lady behind the desk mentioned that there was a double header at the baseball field less than a mile away and that I should check it out. What a great idea. Had a blast. So, I will stay again, but they need to update those rooms a bit.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past year. The location is good as it is located a few minutes off the highway. The rooms are old and in need of a freshen up, but they are comfortable and clean. The free breakfast is more than adequate and the staff is very friendly and willing to help with anything. I have to pay for my own room,even though on business, and there is a Courtyard and a Comfort Suites close by so next time I might use Priceline.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — no big dislikes
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain? Share your experiences!