“Sub-standard Hampton Inn” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
South Williamsport, Pennsylvania
“Sub-standard Hampton Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

I recently stayed at this "recently renovated" Hampton Inn. I think that the extent of the renovations took place in the lobby/breakfast area which is a great space. However, I found the rooms to be sub-standard for a Hampton Inn. A few of my issues... toothpaste residue on the sink faucet (probably spit there by the previous guest), visable dust balls in the bathroom vent, a piece of chewed gum stuck to the carpet, room still has an old 25" TV (flat screens with HD should be standard for any new renovation), lack of drawer space for clothes, etc.

Overall, I feel this hotel is overpriced for what you get. I would recommend finding another Hilton Family Hotel if staying in Scranton.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Hello samranck,

Thank you for your compliments on the renovated hotel lobby! We did complete a full hotel renovation including our lobby, pool, fitness center, meeting space and all of our guest rooms. Please note we are in the process, since our renovation has just completed, of getting flat screen televisions into all of our rooms. We would have loved to have had the opportunity to address and correct the concerns you had during your stay.We take our guests' concerns very seriously and pride ourselves on cleanliness here at the Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, so when an issue is brought to our attention we work quickly to resolve it for our guests. We would love to have you as our guest again in the future, and assure you this is not something you would experience again.

Thank you for staying with us and please feel free to contact us at anytime that we may be of assistance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

East access to the hotel from I-81. Close enough to downtown Scranton and local attractions. Had a one-night stay with family. Got a great rate and everything was what I'd expect of a Hampton Inn. This hotel is well-kept. Our double-full-sized bed rooms were tidy, the beds & linens were comfortable, and the bathrooms were clean with modern fixtures. The standard breakfast buffet was well-attended and the food items were good quality.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you so much for your compliments on the Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain! We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future!
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Very pleasant, accomodating and informative staff - Great location right off I-81 - Good rooms, some with fridge - Comfortable beds & good climate control - Very quiet on this trip but there have been teenage sports teams staying there from time to time making breakfast a bit noisy - Nice hot breakfast in renovated eating area - have stayed here a number of times over the last 5 years - Indoor pool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello Aviation Bob,

Thank you so much for all of the kind things you said about our hotel and for being such a loyal guest! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next stay with us!
Hagerstown, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Being someone who is very familiar with the high standards Hilton brand hotel are to keep, this property has strayed. At first the hotel seemed so nice, great views, updated and chic, nice pool. Problem arose, however. First, we didn't get the room we requested, easily forgiven, but the staff at the front desk took a while before acknowledging us at check-in. We were not greeted or dealt with the kindness and cheer expected of a Hampton. Also the front desk staff was dressed in frumpy looking t-shirts rather than the standard professional Hampton dress. When we entered our room, we were disappointed to be given a small double double-bed room. The real problems started with finding a dusty, dirty carpet, hair on the bed sheets, a half used roll of toilet paper, a stained duvet, and a broken lap desk. Sleep was fine. Breakfast in the morning was lacking the varied selection I expect at a Hampton. Of course the standard eggs, breakfast meat, and waffles were there with all of the cold stuff, but there was no french toast sticks, homefries, or bagel toppers that I know other Hamptons always have a selection of. Checking out was very pleasant. Overall our stay was mediocre, if in Scranton again, I would choose a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
JacksonJeep,

Thank you so much for your compliments on our view, pool, and newly renovated hotel!!
We apologize for the room concerns you experienced during your recent stay with us. We assure you this is not something that is a normal occurence here at the Hampton Inn Scranton, we pride ourselves on cleanliness and would have loved the opportunity to correct the concerns you had mentioned during your stay with us. Our On the House Hot breakfast does consist of 2 hot items each morning, which change daily. Each day there is an egg and a second hot item, for the second hot item we rotate daily through the homefries, french toast sticks, and bagel toppers, to name a few, we do not place all of the items out each day. We do hope that you will stay with us in the future, as I mentioned the experience you had with us is not a normal Hampton Inn Scranton experience.
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

This hotel takes no steps to enforce its no smoking policy, and we got absolutely no compassion or effort to rectify the situation (i.e., locate the smoker above or below us) from the front desk, which was staffed by a 16-year old boy. We ended up having to get dressed, pack up, and move to a different part of the hotel. Terrible customer service!!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

I have absolutely no gripes about the location, the facility, or the breakfast. All were above par. HOWEVER, I held the room with one credit card and split the bill at checkout with a friend(I paid my portion of my half with another credit card and she paid hers with her credit card). The card that I used to hold the room originally(but I didn't pay for at checkout with) was charged for the room FOR THE ENTIRE AMOUNT, NOT JUST MY HALF, and then the card that I paid my half with was charged for my half(which was correct), BUT, there was then a pending transaction placed on my credit card that I paid with for the ENTIRE amount of the room, not just my half. Furthermore, 10 days later and the hold is still there though I've contacted the hotel 5 times requesing some help. So, in essence, I've paid(and had pending transactions placed on my card=no availability for funds if I need them), well over $600 for a $240 stay. I went to Scranton to run a marathon, and liked the marathon so much that next year I will be going back with my entire running club that I lead. I will not, however, be staying at the Hampton Inn. Nice people, great facilities, apparentlyl horrible management and attention to detail............

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Dear heelpride, Thank you for your positive comments on the hotel, we greatly appreciate your loyalty and your business!

Per our conversation after your stay I was under the impression that the situation was resolved. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If I may be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me (Ashley) directly at 570-342-7002 Ext. 704

I wish you all the best in your future training and your future marathons!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

The Hampton Inn is nice, loved the indoor pool and coffee service that is available 24 / 7. My husband and I checked out very early and were given breakfast bags-to-go which was a very nice touch.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, November 4, 2010
Dewjckj, We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain! We look forward to having your as our guest again in the future!

Been to Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain? Share your experiences!