“Solid hotel at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Springfield
Nyack, New York
“Solid hotel at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable beds with good pillows. Clean. Good coffee. Small weird parking lot. I would stay here again anytime. There was a convention there but it was still reasonably quiet.

• Stayed August 2013
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts as it relates to your recent stay with us. I am glad you found the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper comfortable as well as the overall stay a great value. We do have a challenging parking situation, however our staff is trained to assist. I hope you will return when you are in the area again.

333 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked a room at a less expensive hotel - drove up into the parking lot - and drove away - -

Called the Sheraton and they were GREAT - had a room at a reasonable price - with literally no notice.

Located in the heart of downtown - just off the freeway - It was easy to find. The only negative was the parking garage had no signs to instruct you where to go - where to park for checkin.

Staff were great - room was clean - quiet - nicely decorated. I had a GREAT view overlooking the tower next door.

Highly recommend this hotel for business in downtown.

Steve

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing with us your experience while staying with us. I am please we were able to assist you so quickly and we appreciate your business. We certainly are located in the heart of a vibrant City with a lot happing for our guests to enjoy. Parking is a challenge as we share our garage with an office tower. Our parking vendor is located in the boot at the entrance and they will be more than happy to assist with any questions. We hope to have you as our guest once again.
honclfibr
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm attaching a photo as my description probably won't do it justice. Stayed here on points and as a platinum member we were upgraded to the "Ambassador Suite". Turns out that this room is a giant, empty (of furnishings) room on the third floor "overlooking" a parking garage. And I put overlooking in quotes because there is only a single, tiny window. And the ceiling feels very low and slopes down, with strange, dirty looking grates all over.

The location was quite convenient right off the highway, and since we were staying only one night I didn't bother about the room, but based on pictures of the other (apparently quite nice) rooms at this hotel if I ever went back I would avoid the "Ambassador treatment" at all costs.

Also did not appear that this room had a heavenly bed (the mattress appeared quite old and was a yellowish color), which is odd as I thought all Sheratons had been upgraded at this point...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for providing an review of your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Our suites design is different when compared to our other rooms when one looks at the ceiling design. If you were to look at if from a square foot perspective, you will see the room is actually quite large. The reason for the smaller window and sloped ceiling is the due to the building design. it is a very large room which is well appointed. Again, I appreciate you sharing your experience and hope you will choose the Sheraton Springfield once again.
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel was very nice. It was easy to find right off Rte 91. Check in was a breeze. Everyone was friendly and went out of their way to make sure you were taken care of. Pool was big. We went to the MVP sports bar and it was good. Would definitely go there again...

Room Tip: Starwood members get upgraded rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing with me your experience while staying with us. I as well as our team are thrilled you had a great stay. All of our associates are trained properly and are ready to ensure our guest have a memorable experience. We certainly hope you will choose our hotel again visiting the great City of Springfield.
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

If I were rating this hotel purely based on the appearance of the guest rooms and public areas, I would have rated it as "terrible," but I gave it the "average" scored because the room was quiet and VERY clean, and beds were comfortable, despite terribly outdated furnishings and some service issues that are far from the quality that most have come to know when staying at a Sheraton property. Many aspects of this hotel are what I'd expect from a property that's seen better days and has downgraded to a Ramada or Clarion brand name.

I'll give credit to the hotel's GM, Paul, who provided a personalized response to an online follow-up survey that I completed after my stay, and responds to reviews here on Tripadvisor as well, and while he's apparently fairly new to the property, he has many obstacles for the hotel to overcome.

Rooms are always the most critical part of a stay. I stunned by the appearance of my room. It was plenty clean, but the carpet had multiple stains and marks looking as though it was due for replacement 10 years ago. I'm shocked that the Sheraton brand allows that. The next thing I noticed was the outdated furnishings -- the red and gold striped curtains with tassels was certainly the focal point of the room. A picture posted to Facebook invoked comments about the circus. The sleigh beds with their foot boards were also unmissable. To the hotel's credit, these 1970s-era furnishings were in excellent condition. Had it not been for the terrible carpet, I might have thought this room had simply been unoccupied for the past 20 years, and was just sitting there being preserved like a museum. The modern flat panel television looked almost out of place. The bathroom had a large mirror with a curved frame making it appear as though the entire mirror itself was curved -- a bit dated look, but still pretty cool. Otherwise, the beds and linens were comfy, there was plenty of room and the bathroom was well-lit. I have posted pictures of most of this, though a picture of the carpet didn't turn out well enough to show just how bad it is. I'll add that I was in some other rooms at the hotel occupied by friends, and some of the other rooms have been updated with new carpet, curtains, beds, etc. They were more modern for sure, but not spectacular by any means.

I didn't have too much interaction with the hotel staff, but the little that I had wasn't impressive. Upon check in, things started off great when the attendant asked where we preferred our room be. He graciously granted our request with a room up high with a view -- and it was a view of the river and bridge, which is about the best available at this hotel (I wish he pointed out to me that some rooms were renovated and asked if I wanted one of those). From there it was a bit downhill. He told me that parking was $12.95/day. After I pointed out that I had a rate that included parking, he promptly corrected himself, and all was good. I have no issue with such a simple mistake, but less than a minute later, he was checking in a friend of mine who had the same rate that included parking, yet the attendant, like a robot, proceeded to state the cost of parking. My rate also included Internet, and unbeknownst to me, that attendant never provided me with the complimentary Internet code, resulting in me having to go to the front desk upon checkout to have the charges removed from the bill, which made checkout anything but speedy.

A friend of mine who was staying at the hotel at the same time was told, during the middle of the multi-night stay, that they had to change rooms as theirs was going to get remodeled. That's a real inconvenience, yet they weren't offered any compensation for it.

The public areas of the hotel aren't very inspiring. The front desk and actual lobby is on the street level. It's small and is what it is. Up a flight of stairs is the level with the bar, restaurant and some conference facilities, the center of which goes up some dozen floors as a giant atrium to this triangle-shaped hotel. There's a lot of potential here, but the changing colors of LED lights that flood it at night do little to capture that potential. There are a couple of old couches and chairs in this open space and one night I saw it used as a reception area for a conference (odd because it remains a public space simultaneously), but it could be the hub of activity and would be the perfect place for a Sheraton LINK center (with free WiFi and computers) combined with an open bar/lounge area serving drinks and food. Instead, the bar, MVP Grill, is a kind of small hole-in-the-wall off to the side, that seems small for a hotel this size, is uninviting, has no vibe to it and expensive drinks. I was shocked when the general manager's response to my survey stated that it was recently renovated. The GM also informed me that there's a LINK center on the second floor, but it must be stashed off to the side and not in the open, because I didn't notice it (and it isn't staffed; there's no bar; only drinks and snacks available by room service). When I was in the second floor public restroom, the old school drop ceiling was also very dated -- yeah, I'm nitpicking here, but it's relevant to illustrate just how badly the hotel needs some love, especially as a Sheraton.

On the plus side, JT's Sports Bar is a very short walk just around the corner from the hotel, and has good food and drinks (drinks cost about 40% less than at the hotel, and they are open until 2 a.m., whereas the bar at the hotel may be open as late as 1 a.m.). I felt safe enough walking within a few blocks of the hotel, but it feels a little sketchy at night, and locals advise not going too far.

Others complained about the parking. The one floor of parking beneath the hotel is a puzzle of sorts and it's pretty tight, if you're lucky to even find a space, but if not, there's another parking area -- a two level parking deck, across the street and connected by a crosswalk, so the parking situation isn't as grim as others make it sound. If you do park below the hotel, the elevator to the lobby is another example of much-needed upgrading. It looks more like what I'd expect from the elevator in a Quality Inn that was downgraded from being a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed response sharing your feedback regarding your stay. I am proud to say that there has been a large amount of capital put back into the building and there is more being added. All of our public space has been renovated, both restaurants have been renovated, we do have the Link by Sheraton which is located on the 2nd floor which offers our guest ways to connect or conduct business by offering complimentary internet access. The carpets in our upper floors will soon be replaced as well as some of the case goods.

We also have renovated the fitness center which is located on the 4th floor. Our parking can be a challenge when the hotel, city or the office tower is busy we do need to send our guests over to the 91 parking facility. Our staff is eager to ensure all of our guest have a great stay, they are trained and empowered. we will soon be upgrading our television channel selection for offer more of a residential feel by having well over 70 channels many of which are in HD. I hope this answers many of the comments as well as give you as well as many future guests an update as to the changes with in our property.
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Dear General Manager- I just spoke with someone at your hotel to confirm a reservation- her attitude could not have been worse! When I asked to confirm whether or not they had two double beds- I got a sigh as a response as though I'm some sort of idiot for not realizing that you're not able to confirm such a request. At any other hotel I have ever stayed at, I have been able to confirm that I'll have 2 beds. Please teach your reservation employees some basic Customer Service skils. I'm still staying at your hotel next week and I hope that experience is much better than todays!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with your interaction with our associates. Please accept my sincere apologies for the way you were spoken to. It is unacceptable and will be addressed. I would like to personally speak with you regarding your reservation, so if you can call me at 413-263-2156 I would greatly appreciate it. I thank you for sharing this information with me, and I can assure you it will be corrected.
Belton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at this Sheraton property for our visit to Six Flags New England. Our room was very large, with comfortable beds and large bathroom. Staff was friendly and helpful but parking is not easy if the area is crowded. This area of town is seemed a little rough and we were not successful in finding a family-friendly restaurant within walking distance. This property charges for wi-fi also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing with me your experience during your recent visit. I as well as out team members are happy you enjoyed yourself and found the room to be large and well appointed. We have many great restaurants with-in walking distance, please stop by the desk and we will be more than happy to provide a walking map. I hope you will visit again should your travels bring you back to the wonderful City of Springfield.

Been to Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place? Share your experiences!