“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Springfield
New England
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel was very nice. It was easy to find right off Rte 91. Check in was a breeze. Everyone was friendly and went out of their way to make sure you were taken care of. Pool was big. We went to the MVP sports bar and it was good. Would definitely go there again...

Room Tip: Starwood members get upgraded rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing with me your experience while staying with us. I as well as our team are thrilled you had a great stay. All of our associates are trained properly and are ready to ensure our guest have a memorable experience. We certainly hope you will choose our hotel again visiting the great City of Springfield.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

If I were rating this hotel purely based on the appearance of the guest rooms and public areas, I would have rated it as "terrible," but I gave it the "average" scored because the room was quiet and VERY clean, and beds were comfortable, despite terribly outdated furnishings and some service issues that are far from the quality that most have come to know when staying at a Sheraton property. Many aspects of this hotel are what I'd expect from a property that's seen better days and has downgraded to a Ramada or Clarion brand name.

I'll give credit to the hotel's GM, Paul, who provided a personalized response to an online follow-up survey that I completed after my stay, and responds to reviews here on Tripadvisor as well, and while he's apparently fairly new to the property, he has many obstacles for the hotel to overcome.

Rooms are always the most critical part of a stay. I stunned by the appearance of my room. It was plenty clean, but the carpet had multiple stains and marks looking as though it was due for replacement 10 years ago. I'm shocked that the Sheraton brand allows that. The next thing I noticed was the outdated furnishings -- the red and gold striped curtains with tassels was certainly the focal point of the room. A picture posted to Facebook invoked comments about the circus. The sleigh beds with their foot boards were also unmissable. To the hotel's credit, these 1970s-era furnishings were in excellent condition. Had it not been for the terrible carpet, I might have thought this room had simply been unoccupied for the past 20 years, and was just sitting there being preserved like a museum. The modern flat panel television looked almost out of place. The bathroom had a large mirror with a curved frame making it appear as though the entire mirror itself was curved -- a bit dated look, but still pretty cool. Otherwise, the beds and linens were comfy, there was plenty of room and the bathroom was well-lit. I have posted pictures of most of this, though a picture of the carpet didn't turn out well enough to show just how bad it is. I'll add that I was in some other rooms at the hotel occupied by friends, and some of the other rooms have been updated with new carpet, curtains, beds, etc. They were more modern for sure, but not spectacular by any means.

I didn't have too much interaction with the hotel staff, but the little that I had wasn't impressive. Upon check in, things started off great when the attendant asked where we preferred our room be. He graciously granted our request with a room up high with a view -- and it was a view of the river and bridge, which is about the best available at this hotel (I wish he pointed out to me that some rooms were renovated and asked if I wanted one of those). From there it was a bit downhill. He told me that parking was $12.95/day. After I pointed out that I had a rate that included parking, he promptly corrected himself, and all was good. I have no issue with such a simple mistake, but less than a minute later, he was checking in a friend of mine who had the same rate that included parking, yet the attendant, like a robot, proceeded to state the cost of parking. My rate also included Internet, and unbeknownst to me, that attendant never provided me with the complimentary Internet code, resulting in me having to go to the front desk upon checkout to have the charges removed from the bill, which made checkout anything but speedy.

A friend of mine who was staying at the hotel at the same time was told, during the middle of the multi-night stay, that they had to change rooms as theirs was going to get remodeled. That's a real inconvenience, yet they weren't offered any compensation for it.

The public areas of the hotel aren't very inspiring. The front desk and actual lobby is on the street level. It's small and is what it is. Up a flight of stairs is the level with the bar, restaurant and some conference facilities, the center of which goes up some dozen floors as a giant atrium to this triangle-shaped hotel. There's a lot of potential here, but the changing colors of LED lights that flood it at night do little to capture that potential. There are a couple of old couches and chairs in this open space and one night I saw it used as a reception area for a conference (odd because it remains a public space simultaneously), but it could be the hub of activity and would be the perfect place for a Sheraton LINK center (with free WiFi and computers) combined with an open bar/lounge area serving drinks and food. Instead, the bar, MVP Grill, is a kind of small hole-in-the-wall off to the side, that seems small for a hotel this size, is uninviting, has no vibe to it and expensive drinks. I was shocked when the general manager's response to my survey stated that it was recently renovated. The GM also informed me that there's a LINK center on the second floor, but it must be stashed off to the side and not in the open, because I didn't notice it (and it isn't staffed; there's no bar; only drinks and snacks available by room service). When I was in the second floor public restroom, the old school drop ceiling was also very dated -- yeah, I'm nitpicking here, but it's relevant to illustrate just how badly the hotel needs some love, especially as a Sheraton.

On the plus side, JT's Sports Bar is a very short walk just around the corner from the hotel, and has good food and drinks (drinks cost about 40% less than at the hotel, and they are open until 2 a.m., whereas the bar at the hotel may be open as late as 1 a.m.). I felt safe enough walking within a few blocks of the hotel, but it feels a little sketchy at night, and locals advise not going too far.

Others complained about the parking. The one floor of parking beneath the hotel is a puzzle of sorts and it's pretty tight, if you're lucky to even find a space, but if not, there's another parking area -- a two level parking deck, across the street and connected by a crosswalk, so the parking situation isn't as grim as others make it sound. If you do park below the hotel, the elevator to the lobby is another example of much-needed upgrading. It looks more like what I'd expect from the elevator in a Quality Inn that was downgraded from being a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your very detailed response sharing your feedback regarding your stay. I am proud to say that there has been a large amount of capital put back into the building and there is more being added. All of our public space has been renovated, both restaurants have been renovated, we do have the Link by Sheraton which is located on the 2nd floor which offers our guest ways to connect or conduct business by offering complimentary internet access. The carpets in our upper floors will soon be replaced as well as some of the case goods.

We also have renovated the fitness center which is located on the 4th floor. Our parking can be a challenge when the hotel, city or the office tower is busy we do need to send our guests over to the 91 parking facility. Our staff is eager to ensure all of our guest have a great stay, they are trained and empowered. we will soon be upgrading our television channel selection for offer more of a residential feel by having well over 70 channels many of which are in HD. I hope this answers many of the comments as well as give you as well as many future guests an update as to the changes with in our property.
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Dear General Manager- I just spoke with someone at your hotel to confirm a reservation- her attitude could not have been worse! When I asked to confirm whether or not they had two double beds- I got a sigh as a response as though I'm some sort of idiot for not realizing that you're not able to confirm such a request. At any other hotel I have ever stayed at, I have been able to confirm that I'll have 2 beds. Please teach your reservation employees some basic Customer Service skils. I'm still staying at your hotel next week and I hope that experience is much better than todays!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with your interaction with our associates. Please accept my sincere apologies for the way you were spoken to. It is unacceptable and will be addressed. I would like to personally speak with you regarding your reservation, so if you can call me at 413-263-2156 I would greatly appreciate it. I thank you for sharing this information with me, and I can assure you it will be corrected.

Travelers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Belton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at this Sheraton property for our visit to Six Flags New England. Our room was very large, with comfortable beds and large bathroom. Staff was friendly and helpful but parking is not easy if the area is crowded. This area of town is seemed a little rough and we were not successful in finding a family-friendly restaurant within walking distance. This property charges for wi-fi also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing with me your experience during your recent visit. I as well as out team members are happy you enjoyed yourself and found the room to be large and well appointed. We have many great restaurants with-in walking distance, please stop by the desk and we will be more than happy to provide a walking map. I hope you will visit again should your travels bring you back to the wonderful City of Springfield.
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is very good, the staff is friendly from the reception to the guy of security.
The room was very nice, nice size, nice furniture, and not so expensive. I was there for a conference and the room was big enough for all of us.
The only bad side of this hotel is location, i heard the area is not very secure at least my colleagues who live there in Massachussets told me that but if you don't walk so far from the hotel is ok. Better to use a car.
But it is really a nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I as well of the rest of the team are thrilled you had such a wonderful stay. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize our staff, they all work hard to embrace the Sheraton culture and provide excellent service. I hope you will visit again when your travels bring you back to the Springfield area in the future.
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Booked a room for a good rate on Hotwire. Hotel was very classy, but the area seemed a little sketchy at night. No free WiFi and parking for $13 sucked, but I got over it. Pool was nice, restaurants seemed good, but we didn't eat at them. Our thermostat didn't seem to work, the room was very cold, so I solved that problem by cranking the thermostat up to 85 degrees to get to a comfortable level. Beds were extremely comfortable as they are at most Starwood properties.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I appreciate you sharing with me your experience while staying with us. We do cater to all types of travel and value the feedback from all of our guests. As a brand, Starwood has not moved from internet charges and free breakfast. We do have certain rate plans that do include these items as well as others. Our culinary team does an outstanding job in both MVP.pub and our PICKS Restaurant and both outlets have recently undergone an amazing transformation. I hope you will visit us again, should your travels bring you to the Springfield area again.
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel was beautiful and the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The lobby was cheery and inviting. We had drinks and snacks at MVP and Manny our server was delightful! The room was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was lovely, however getting in/out of the tub was not an easy task. It is a high tub and the safety bar is on the other side of the tub/wall. The parking was terrible......... HOWEVER, Overall it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing with me your experience while saying with us. I am glad you found the hotel clean and very updated as well as warm and inviting. I will also be sure to pass on your comments to our culinary team and Manny our server. Parking is a challenge, and we will be making some changes here relating to how we communicate this to our guests. We hope you will visit soon.

Been to Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place? Share your experiences!