“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Springfield
Long Island
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

As a long time Marriott customer, I must say I was disappointed in my recent stay at the Springfield Marriott. Perhaps I've gotten spoiled by the consistently good hotel experience I receive at Marriott properties. Let me start out by saying the staff from check in to check out were friendly, helpful and very capable at their tasks. However, I found the rooms very small and quite frankly, not very functional. A chair was crammed in one corner, a desk in the other with a big Armoire in the center. A small table was just there. There was no room for our roller boards so we had to leave them in the middle of the room and move them to a corner so we wouldn't step into them at night. Since we were there for one night, we weren't about to unpack. Bathroom was also very small. On arrival, we found the condiments (soaps and shampoo) missing. A call to the front desk took care of that promptly. After dinner, we returned to find our TV had no power. Again, a call got the engineer to our room PDQ to discover the power cord wasn't fully plugged in to the back of the set. A constant problem, I'm told. Internet service was slow and spotty and if I were paying for it, I would have been quite annoyed. The room itself was clean although a bit dated but i understand you can't be in a brand new room every night. I also understand city hotels tend to have small rooms but the layout and the size of the furniture has to fit in order to be functional. Even the concierge lounge was tight. The staff up there worked double time to keep things moving along.

While these are small issues, it is not what we expect at a Marriott. As mentioned earlier, we are spoiled.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Micheline F, Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your positive comments about staff service and room cleanliness. I was certainly disappointed to read that your room was not up to standard from a quality and design perspective. Please rest assured that I will share your feedback with my leadership team as we prepare for guest room renovations in the near future, such information is extremely valuable. Additionally, I have shared your feedback with our engineering manager regarding everything in working order from your guest room to assure that these items are addressed as well. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback. I hope you will consider staying at our hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kansas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Friendly front desk staff and nice looking lobby. Gym equipment better than your average hotel gym equipment.

Inconvenient downtown location - in sketchy part of town. Limited amount of restaurants - with even more limited hours of operation. Additional $16 daily internet fee and $15 daily parking fee.

Rooms are in desperate need of renovation. Giant crack and water stain in ceiling - and carpet in room is absolutely filthy. Bathroom is so tiny - the small floor towel for the tub takes up the entire floor. Furniture is outdated.

Only ONE washer and dryer for 250+ hotel rooms - and laundry room only available during gym hours.

Overall, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
I appreciate your feedback and was disappointed to read that your room was not up to standard from a quality or cleanliness perspective. Please be assured I will share your feedback with my team. Thank you for the positive comments about our staff, main lobby and health club equipment. Although you indicated you would not stay with us again, I hope you will consider staying at other Marriott Hotels when you entertain and travel in the future.
Peru, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The foyer was beautiful but to get to your rooms it's pretty scary . The drive up to the parking garage was scary, tight and like something out of a weird movie. The rooms needed a lot of work, cold and empty. Strange!i would suggest looking for a different place to stay until all renovations done.make sure all rooms have been renovated.

• Stayed May 2014
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was disappointed to read that you found the garage difficult to navigate and your assigned room not up to par. Please be assured that I will share your ratings and comments with our team.
Biddeford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Place is very clean and employees are very friendly but rooms are very small. The parking garage layout is terrible. The ramps have tracks on the floor that you have to drive in and it's difficult to not keep hopping the curb. There was also lots of road construction in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thanks for staying with us. I appreciate your positive comments about the cleanliness of our hotel and friendly staff. First time travelers might find the garage a little challenging to navigate, but when you return I hope you will find it somewhat easier. We look forward to your next visit when the dance competition returns to Springfield.
Hanover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel to families. I took my sons here to stay on a Saturday night. We walked to the MassMutual Center (which was a 10 minute walk) for a Springfield Falcons game. My boys loved the pool and the restaurant in the morning for breakfast. I loved the ease of parking inside and a Dunkin Donuts and the Champions Sports Bar located on property. It was a very pleasant stay with very friendly staff. I usually run into a problem or two sometimes with hotel chains but this stay was fantastic. It was typical high level Marriott service. We are going to stay here again next Falcons season for certain!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate your recommendation on TripAdvisor for other travelers to stay with us. I was pleased to read that you took advantage of various amenities the hotel and surrounding area have to offer. We look forward to your next visit during the 2014/15 Springfield Falcons season.
Boylston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

For the money the Sheraton across the street is a nicer comparably priced hotel with larger rooms. In fairness, it could be that the rooms on the 7th floor are just all around smaller than other floors. The bathroom is a very small area with just enough room for a toilet and tub/shower unit. The sink is just outside the bathroom and again is a small area....especially when you have 4 women sharing a room needing access to the sink/mirror.

The beds are comfortable and staff is fine. Brunch buffet on Sunday was $16.95 and those in my party that signed up for were happy with their fare. Waffles, bacon, sausage, omelets and the normal bagel, cereal, yogurt, fruit...nothing special but serviceable for sure. Some of us ordered off the menu. For $10.95 you can have an Eggs Benedict that was very good. Be careful though, the waitress automatically fills your coffee and juice glasses when you sit down. What you don't know is that coffee (if you're not ordering the brunch buffet) costs $3.50/cup...are you kidding? If you want coffee you'd be better off ordering the buffet whether you want it or not. Not sure how much the juice was but we made sure to have that taken off our bill...which the waitress did without question.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments regarding our comfortable beds, overall staff service and our Sunday brunch buffet. Please be assured that I will share your comments with our staff about automatically pouring coffee and juice before your breakfast selection was made. We hope you will visit us again when your travels bring you back to Western MA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Pretty nice hotel. A little dark in the hallways. Weird big power disonect switch in the corner. Price was a bit high at 210 a night, but I used marriot points. Was unaware there was a pool, and don't know how to get to it.. I'm sure if I asked the very helpful front desk people they would have told me.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to see that you felt we had a nice hotel with helpful staff. Your review had a few questions that I wanted to answer. The power disconnect box in the corner of your room is for the P-Tac heat and cooling unit. You would access our pool by walking through the health club to the glass door and take the stairs up to the pool. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to Springfield Marriott? Share your experiences!