“Port in a Storm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Springfield
San Francisco, California
“Port in a Storm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I like me a Marriott - they are generally well operated, clean, pleasant and somehow the points accrue to my Delta SkyMiles account. I've stayed here a couple times when in Springfield on business. Super convenient to the highway. After a long trip from New York with car trouble, we arrived right at last call, but were super-courteously accommodated in the bar with burgers and strong drink. Will stay here again when life takes me to Springfield.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
I appreciate your comments about the Marriott brand and that the Springfield Marriott delivered on what you have come to expect. I was happy to see you enjoyed Champions Sports Bar and will visit again when your travels bring you back to the Springfield area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a night while attending the Equine Affair down the road at the Big E. Great location...literally minutes up the road, also in the heart of Springfield. Because of it's "downtown" location, parking is pricey ($15/day). The rooms were very nice...standard Marriott...clean, super comfy beds, spacious. The bathroom had a separate vanity area, but both areas seemed on the smaller side. Ate at the sports bar downstairs. Pretty good menu. Burgers & chili were excellent and service was super friendly!

The downside is that it seems like a big convention hotel and we got the pleasure of some cheerleading event the weekend we were there. Tweens all over the hotel and taking over the restaurants. Luckily, they are strict and do enforce quiet hours. Would suggest calling ahead to see what is booked at the hotel if something like this would annoy you.

Will definitely stay here again, especially when heading to the Eastern States Exposition again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us while attending the Equine Affair event at the Big E. I appreciate your comments about the overall cleanliness, food quality and service. I was happy to see you would stay with us again when returning to the area for other events at the Big E. We look forward to your next visit.
Ballston Lake, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have stayed at the Springfield Marriott before and we enjoyed our visit. We found our interaction with the staff that we came in contact with to be very pleasant, especially the front desk. One nice conversation starter is having the staff member's home town on their badge, which was wonderful as one gentleman was from a city that we have our next trip planned for and he was kind enough to make suggestions of what we could do when we go there.
Our room was clean, spacious (the bathroom is on the small side and the tub is not a soaking one, which after a long weekend of walking around at Equine Affaire, that would have been a bonus) but the bed more than made up for it, being very comfortable.
The Room Service person that delivered to our room twice was very friendly and accommodating and the Housekeeping Team made sure that we had all that we had requested.
Others have mentioned the parking fee which would have been nice to have validated and I would have liked to have had free internet available in the room but you can use the internet in their business center. Which is the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us while attending the Equine Affair at the Big E. It sounds like you had many positive interactions with our hosts from the front desk, bellstand, room service and housekeeping. I was pleased to read this was not your first visit with us and we look forward to your next stay when your travels bring you back to Western MA.
Mssachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here this summer when in Western Mass for a concert. Stayed with a free night certificate - probably wouldn't have paid full price. Somewhat annoying to pay for parking, but the room was very nice and spacious. In the morning the hotel restaurant was a bit chaotic and hard to get service. Since all we wanted was coffee we gave up and went to Dunkin' Donuts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thanks for staying with us this past summer. I was pleased to read that you found our rooms to be spacious and well appointed. It sounds like the restaurant was very busy on the morning of your departure and was pleased that you found another option within Tower Square which is connected to the hotel.
Hartland, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Her Ladyship and I frequently stay in hotels -- and we can be quite critical. (Some would say hypercritical.)

At the last minute we decided to have the Eastern States Exposition (Big E) experience, and I could only find a room at the Marriott. This hotel looks drab and uninteresting -- both on its website and as we've driven past it on the I91. I made our reservation with a "don't-expect-much-but-it's-only-one-night" feeling.

Instead we were completely surprised by the hospitality of the staff -- and our dinner was surprisingly good as well . . .

Before arrival I'd read on TripAdvisor that the hotel didn't own the parking garage and there was no valet parking. I dropped Her Ladyship off at the front door and the bellman gave me clear instructions on how to find the hotel's dedicated entrance inside the parking garage. But then he did something completely unexpected: he gave me a photograph of the door I needed to locate when parking the car. What a clever idea. I found the magical portal without difficulty, and parked about 15 feet away.

Our room was fine -- in a Marriott sort of way -- and had a nice view over the I91 to the Connecticut River.

We went to dinner in the hotel's sports bar. Not something we normally do, but it was convenient. Our food was excellent, and the service was exceptionally friendly.

When we got up the next morning I asked Her Ladyship if she wanted a latte. She responded by saying "they won't know how to make one." Being more optimistic, I pressed a button on the 'phone and spoke with the most cheery, helpful lady. Not only could they make a latte -- but they could make one exactly the way Her Ladyship preferred. And they did. Even the gentleman who delivered it to the room was friendly.

The hotel voice (I'm sorry I didn't get her name -- because I really should give her credit here) gave me hints about what to see and do at the Big E, and was charming.

I once read a story of the Managing Director of an airline (I think it was SAS) and a wake-up call he'd received in a hotel. He'd expected one of those awful automated calls, but instead a cheerful, human voice was on the phone. She gave him the weather forecast and commiserated about his having to check out and fly back to the cold. He said this friendly touch made him want to stay at that hotel again -- simply because of the friendly attitude and human touch of the wake-up call. He wanted SAS staff to understand that small, friendly gestures make folks return.

Congratulations to the staff -- and management -- of this Marriott. We were pleasantly surprised to find world-class customer service in, of all places, Springfield, Massachusetts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you decided to stay with us while visiting the Big E. I appreciate your positive comments about the hospitality of our staff and overall dining experience in our Champions Sports Bar. Please be assured that I will share your feedback with my team. We hope to see you next year as well.
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The only positive thing that I can say about this hotel is that the food was fairly decent. Otherwise: not so much! The staff gave my sweetie bad directions to the hotel, and when he called to get clarification, the woman at the desk actually laughed at him. It's completely unclear what part of the parking garage to use to access the hotel. I'm a seasoned traveler; I don't appreciate wasting half an hour simply to figure out how to get to the hotel lobby! The room itself was barely adequate: small, with an air conditioner that did not respond to the thermostat (we FROZE!), and with very loud traffic noise all night--it sounded as though the hotel was in the median strip of the interstate.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here--and I don't recommend it--ask for a room that's screened from inte...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bill H, Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I was disappointed to read of your overall experience at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with incorrect directions and the reaction from our staff. I appreciate that your time is valuable and that we did not get your stay off to a good start. Please be assured that I will share your feedback with our time to avoid sure issues in the future.
Manchester, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and the site is gorgeous. I did not stay overnight but visited the property for a few hours in the banquet hall. We did have ther wedding guests that stayed overnight and said their rooms were great. The property is gorgeous. The lobby is spacious and beautifully laid out. The hall was very pretty and did offer a bar. It wasnt huge, but could accomodate probably 125ppl or so. The wait staff was all polite, professional and helpful. The coolest part of this property to me was the backyard courtyard. It was Gorgeous!! There was a balcony, gazebo, tables, plenty of room to casually spend time outside, and a fire pit at night. The location of the hotel is right off the highway and close to many food options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read your comments about our catering facilities and staff service. I agree with your observations on the outdoor space. It’s a unique area for a downtown hotel and offers many options.

Been to Springfield Marriott? Share your experiences!