“rooms are nicer than the lobby would suggest” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Springfield
Mssachusetts
“rooms are nicer than the lobby would suggest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here this summer when in Western Mass for a concert. Stayed with a free night certificate - probably wouldn't have paid full price. Somewhat annoying to pay for parking, but the room was very nice and spacious. In the morning the hotel restaurant was a bit chaotic and hard to get service. Since all we wanted was coffee we gave up and went to Dunkin' Donuts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thanks for staying with us this past summer. I was pleased to read that you found our rooms to be spacious and well appointed. It sounds like the restaurant was very busy on the morning of your departure and was pleased that you found another option within Tower Square which is connected to the hotel.

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hartland, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Her Ladyship and I frequently stay in hotels -- and we can be quite critical. (Some would say hypercritical.)

At the last minute we decided to have the Eastern States Exposition (Big E) experience, and I could only find a room at the Marriott. This hotel looks drab and uninteresting -- both on its website and as we've driven past it on the I91. I made our reservation with a "don't-expect-much-but-it's-only-one-night" feeling.

Instead we were completely surprised by the hospitality of the staff -- and our dinner was surprisingly good as well . . .

Before arrival I'd read on TripAdvisor that the hotel didn't own the parking garage and there was no valet parking. I dropped Her Ladyship off at the front door and the bellman gave me clear instructions on how to find the hotel's dedicated entrance inside the parking garage. But then he did something completely unexpected: he gave me a photograph of the door I needed to locate when parking the car. What a clever idea. I found the magical portal without difficulty, and parked about 15 feet away.

Our room was fine -- in a Marriott sort of way -- and had a nice view over the I91 to the Connecticut River.

We went to dinner in the hotel's sports bar. Not something we normally do, but it was convenient. Our food was excellent, and the service was exceptionally friendly.

When we got up the next morning I asked Her Ladyship if she wanted a latte. She responded by saying "they won't know how to make one." Being more optimistic, I pressed a button on the 'phone and spoke with the most cheery, helpful lady. Not only could they make a latte -- but they could make one exactly the way Her Ladyship preferred. And they did. Even the gentleman who delivered it to the room was friendly.

The hotel voice (I'm sorry I didn't get her name -- because I really should give her credit here) gave me hints about what to see and do at the Big E, and was charming.

I once read a story of the Managing Director of an airline (I think it was SAS) and a wake-up call he'd received in a hotel. He'd expected one of those awful automated calls, but instead a cheerful, human voice was on the phone. She gave him the weather forecast and commiserated about his having to check out and fly back to the cold. He said this friendly touch made him want to stay at that hotel again -- simply because of the friendly attitude and human touch of the wake-up call. He wanted SAS staff to understand that small, friendly gestures make folks return.

Congratulations to the staff -- and management -- of this Marriott. We were pleasantly surprised to find world-class customer service in, of all places, Springfield, Massachusetts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you decided to stay with us while visiting the Big E. I appreciate your positive comments about the hospitality of our staff and overall dining experience in our Champions Sports Bar. Please be assured that I will share your feedback with my team. We hope to see you next year as well.
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The only positive thing that I can say about this hotel is that the food was fairly decent. Otherwise: not so much! The staff gave my sweetie bad directions to the hotel, and when he called to get clarification, the woman at the desk actually laughed at him. It's completely unclear what part of the parking garage to use to access the hotel. I'm a seasoned traveler; I don't appreciate wasting half an hour simply to figure out how to get to the hotel lobby! The room itself was barely adequate: small, with an air conditioner that did not respond to the thermostat (we FROZE!), and with very loud traffic noise all night--it sounded as though the hotel was in the median strip of the interstate.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here--and I don't recommend it--ask for a room that's screened from inte...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bill H, Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I was disappointed to read of your overall experience at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with incorrect directions and the reaction from our staff. I appreciate that your time is valuable and that we did not get your stay off to a good start. Please be assured that I will share your feedback with our time to avoid sure issues in the future.
Manchester, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and the site is gorgeous. I did not stay overnight but visited the property for a few hours in the banquet hall. We did have ther wedding guests that stayed overnight and said their rooms were great. The property is gorgeous. The lobby is spacious and beautifully laid out. The hall was very pretty and did offer a bar. It wasnt huge, but could accomodate probably 125ppl or so. The wait staff was all polite, professional and helpful. The coolest part of this property to me was the backyard courtyard. It was Gorgeous!! There was a balcony, gazebo, tables, plenty of room to casually spend time outside, and a fire pit at night. The location of the hotel is right off the highway and close to many food options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read your comments about our catering facilities and staff service. I agree with your observations on the outdoor space. It’s a unique area for a downtown hotel and offers many options.
Waterford, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff here is very friendly especially the afternoon bellman, Jeff. He is one the best in helping with everything from luggage to getting an early morning cab to the airport. The meeting staff here is good but I have experienced better. The internet in the hotel is the worst of any hotel I have stayed at in the last year. They said they are fixing it but who knows.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments about our friendly staff and the service provided by Jeff from our bellstaff. I am sorry for the interent issues you experienced and you did hear correctly. We will be replacing our internet system in the entire building starting on 10/28. We will have a totally wireless solution for all guest rooms, meeting space and public space. I estimate the install to take about 4-5 weeks with the end result being faster speed, improved connectivity and stability of the system. Thanks for staying with us.
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Needed a one night stay in Springfield, and selected this from Tripadvisor ratings. Convenient from Bradley International and I-91. Room (7th floor) was clean, and quiet (non-river facing) once I figured out how to adjust the temp system. Room is cozy. Bath is small. Wouldn't recommend for a long stay. I would have considered this a better value if parking and internet were included. Staff were very helpful. I arrived after midnight, and left early morning, so my experience (and rating) is limited to the checkin, parking garage, and room.

Room Tip: I tried a room on the 8th floor first, and then changed to the 7th, because of A/C noise. Both were...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was please to read that your rom was clean, quiet and staff was helpful. I know it was a short stay and perhaps the next time you visit you can enjoy all the hotel and city of Springfield has to offer.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed at this Marriott for visiting the Big E festival with friends. Got sick and needed some medicine, the front desk person (Viktorya) was extremely helpful in tracking down an open 24 hour pharmacy to get some medicine. I really appreciated her going the extra mile. Also food at the adjacent champions sports bar was fabulous. The rooms were comfortable and parking was easy. The only complaint was finding some long strands of mystery hair on the bed and in the bathroom which wasn't great but also wasn't the end of the world. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback regarding your stay. I was pleased to read that a member of our front desk team assisted in finding a 24 hour pharmacy. I am sorry about the hair you found on your bed and will share this feedback with our housekeeping department. Happy to see you would definitely stay again when your travels bring you back to the Springfield area.

Been to Springfield Marriott? Share your experiences!