“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Springfield
Newton, Massachusetts
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at the Springfield Marriot for one night. I want to start by saying that all of the staff that I encountered were terrific. It is the hotel and the way it is operated that is bad. First, there is no valet parking. I arrived in the evening and had to park on a third floor of a parking garage-deserted. And, to make it worse there is a huge sign as you enter the lobby warning of rampant thefts in the parking garage. The solution is security, and valet parking, not warning signs. This is the first time-as a woman traveling alone which I do lots for business-that I felt unsafe and nervous. I would never go back. In addition, small things: the room curtain tracks in the room I was in are constructed in a manner so that they don't close-there is a 1.5 foot or so gap right in the middle. And, the hair dryer did not work this AM-plugs near bathroom not working (I had to leave so no point in reporting). It is otherwise a nondescript property-no real plusses or minuses. But the security issue is a deal breaker.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your positive comments about our staff and the service they provided. I was disappointed to read your perceptions about the parking garage and signage in various locations. The garage is not owned or operated by the hotel and therefore valet parking cannot be provided since it is run by a 3rd party. The signs in the garage and front entrance are standard liability and informational signs to alert guest they are parking in a public facility. That being said, security does patrol the garage and hotel on a regular basis. I appreciate your feedback and hope you will continue to us Marriott Hotels when you travel in the future.

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Staff was A1, rooms were good but beds not so comfy, room service was excellent and so was bar service downstairs....the only negative was we had to park across the street due to our oversized vehicle ...so next time we will stay at Res Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your positive comments about our staff and the service they provided. My apologies for the inconvenience in having to park in the garage across the street from the hotel because of your oversize vehicle.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I made a last-minute trip to attend a memorial. The hotel was great! The room had adequate space though the bathroom was small. The gym was great: large area containing weights and machines. The location was ideal.

• Stayed August 2013
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I am happy your last minute plans allowed you to stay at the Springfield Marriott. I appreciate your positive feedback about the hotel and we look forward to a return visit when your travels bring you back to the Springfield area.
New Britain, Ct.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I just stayed, for the 2nd month in a row, at this hotel. The location is excellent and walking distance to just about everything in the downtown area. People may caution you about walking around after dark, in the downtown area, but just use caution like you would anywhere else. The hotel is 4 blocks from the Amtrak Station and just a block or two from great restaurants. The quadrangle is about 4 blocks. There are dining choices, right in the buidling, but we haven't checked those out, yet - except for coffee at the Dunkin' Donuts, right there in Tower Square. A CVS and convenience store are also plusses, without having to leave the building. The hotel is very clean, comfortable, and updated. It has the feel of a boutique hotel, with the decor. The front desk staff and management, housekeeping, and concierge are all extremely accommodating and friendly; again, they give the feel of a small, boutique property. The rooms have mini fridges and coffee pots, along with tasteful decor and VERY COMFY beds and bedding. This hotel has the perfect combination of location, accommodations, and friendly and helpful staff. I highly reccommend the Springfield Marriott.

Room Tip: City view is quiet while the Ct. River view has the highway traffic which may be a bother to some pe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I appreciate your extended stay with us and was happy to read that we provided a clean, comfortable stay combined with a service orientated environment. I hope you are still with us, but if not, we look forward to your next visit.
Springfield, Massachusetts, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had to stay at this hotel for 3 weeks and had the most amazing time. The staff was so helpful and accommodating!! The house keeper asked me what time would she like me to come (I am a late sleeper) and made sure to be there at or after that time. Anytime we needed anything they came immediately, and any extras I asked for arrived daily and not just for that day!.The air conditioner was temperamental but the blankets and sheets kept me pretty warm. They have 2 restaurants inside as well as a small store, a CVS and a dunkin doughnuts as well as few restaurants with somewhat decent food nearby, It does have its downfalls (surrounding area pretty crappy) but the goods way outweigh the bad. And not to mention a wonderful view of the area from my room on the 10th floor!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your comments on TripAdvisor and was happy to read you had an amazing time while in the Springfield area. Please be assured that I will share your positive feedback with our team. I was pleased to read that our housekeeper arranged to clean your room at a time that worked with your schedule.
Mt. Cobb, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stopped in for one night while on the way up to Maine. Nice front desk staff, friendly and helpful. Clean room on a high floor with a great view of the Memorial Bridge. Comfortable night except the air conditioning was a little noisy. Overall it's a really nice Marriott.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bill H, General Manager at Springfield Marriott, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I appreciate your feedback and comments about our front desk staff and overall cleanliness. I will be sure to share your comments with my team. We look forward to your next visit when in the Springfield area.
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel and staff are great and want to make sure needs are met. The hotel itself is showing its age and needs to redo the exterior. The rooms are updated and modern, but the bathrooms are extremely small. The parking garage is a pain in the rear, but when your land locked not much you can do. The unfortunate part (which is beyond the hotels control) is the neighborhood sucks. Total ghetto. For the location, I believe it is way over priced ($159 a night) but the problem is that there is limited areas to stay. Overall, nice hotel in a crappy neighborhood. The only reason why I stay here over other hotels is the staff

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I appreciate your positive comments about our staff and constructive feedback regarding the bathroom size and parking arrangements at the hotel. I was happy to see that the staff is what keeps bringing you back.

Been to Springfield Marriott? Share your experiences!