“Can't put my finger on it...” 3 of 5 stars

Third person stays free
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Springfield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Can't put my finger on it...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Something just isn't quite right here at Naomi's Inn. I don't really have too many negative things to say, or many positives, for that matter. The Inn itself is a nice enough old house in Springfield. The room I was in was upstairs, one of several on the second floor. It was simply decorated, but clean and comfortable. The bed was a bit lumpy and the mattress seemed old and worn, but it was adequate. The bathroom appeared to have just been redone and was modern, clean and functional. The bath towels smelled musty or moldy though, which was no way to start my day. Breakfast was acceptable. Far from great, but I've had worse. I'd give the accommodations a 7 out of 10.
As far as the innkeeper goes, perhaps she was having a bad day, but...I read all the good things she does for the nearby hospital and the local community. For that, she undoubtedly deserves high praise and I echo the sentiment of those that applaud her efforts. But her general demeanor was puzzling to me. At times she seemed like the sweetest, most over the top nice person you ever met. And then, she would be impersonal...almost confrontational, bordering on being condescending. I still can't put my finger on it exactly. Look, her job is tough, and I wouldn't want it. But, as any b and b owner will tell you, you gotta own the part, you can't "play" it or pretend to enjoy it. Admittedly, I could be totally off base here, but my impression was that she was reluctantly, and perhaps a bit begrudgingly, going through the motions of being owner/hostess, instead of truly enjoying it. Bottom line, I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of staying here, but I'd probably fall short of recommending it as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rockville Centre, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

We found Naomi's to be wonderful retreat after our stop at the Basketball Hall Of Fame and our trip to Northern Vermont. The rooms were spacious and beautiful and Marci was a charming host and made our stay a very nice experience.

• Stayed July 2012
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We (myself and my two adult daughters) stayed for a week in this lovely Inn. We were referred by the staff at Baystate Medical Center. I am so glad they did. As we were going through a very hard time for our family, the Inn was such a God send. Marci is a doll. she is kind, thoughtful and makes you feel welcome. She always inquired about how we were doing and how my mother in law (In ICU) was doing. When my mother in law passed and we had to get alot of running around donw, Marci and Doug gave us rides around town. This is service beyond what a Innkeeper should do. I highly recommend staying here. Marci..keep up the good work. You were and always will be our angel. Elizabeth, ashley and myself think the world of you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

After reading some of the noted reviews below, I feel extremely compelled to speak and let the great public know the real truth about Naomi’s Inn. Naomi’s Inn is a fabulous stay in Springfield; bright, beautiful, serene and peaceful. Inn owner and Inn Keeper, Marci Webber was very pleasant and congenial, very easy to sit and relax with…whether in the dining room or on the wonderful, spacious deck in the back of the house. I have repeatedly stayed at the Inn since it opened in 2007 and enjoyed each visit thoroughly. We recently stayed there to visit family in the area, attended a graduation party and visited other attractions. The location is extremely ideal and well-located. Parking is safe and convenient as well.

What I love most about Naomi’s Inn is that the rooms are each themed; French Market, Louis the XIV and British Travel and each room has a unique en-suite bathroom. The rooms are thoughtfully decorated, very spacious and clean and each has a beautiful new flat screen TV (no old TVs at this Inn – COTraveller33 was mistaken). Not to mention, the speedy fast Wi-Fi – as an IT Business Systems Analyst on call 24/7, I was most concerned with easy accessibility to the internet with a strong connection. And I have to say when I was booking my trip back to the area, I was some-what worried that some changes might have occurred based on reading some of the reviews; possibly it was under new management. Was I happy to learn that Marci is still the owner and very pleased to know that the reviews were base-less that the Wi-Fi is still easily accessible and that it was faster than ever, in fact 3x faster than any other B&B or hotel’s Wi-Fi (& I better know the difference for sure as an IT BSA) that I’ve visited and I’ve been to many across the country, especially in my business travels.

It’s comical that COTraveller33, the world traveler mentions that Marci should have a local bottle of wine available for the guests; most obviously he or she is not aware of the legalities around distribution of alcohol on the part of a business owner. For the fact that I am inquisitive by nature, I researched this piece a bit further and found out that the City of Springfield does not allow certain small businesses the ability to distribute alcohol in such a setting.

What’s equally as comical is the reference that the breakfast area is in “their” kitchen. Well a few years back it was not located in “their” kitchen which by the way is a dining room well-divided and well-furnished. I can recall a visit where a guest mentioned the fact that Marci should be more visible and have her eating area more open to include a more personal touch. It seems as if the Inn Keeper is darned if she does and darned if she doesn’t in this case.

Breakfast is served in a quaint, lovely decorated dining area. Marci prepares breakfast cooked to order which I love especially since I am a very finicky eater. This also is a great way to be cognizant of anyone who may have a food allergy, adding cheeses or herbs is secondary considering how many people have such bad allergies now-a-days. I appreciate the fact that Marci cooks to please all, that if you want something different or extra, she goes out of her way to make sure you have what you want.

Food is always available throughout the day, always fresh and always great to eat, scrumptious home-made breads and cookies, including my favorite Italian cookies from local bakeries, Cerrato’s, La Florentina’s to enjoy with a lovely cup of tea or coffee…yum yum!!

What also amazes me is the fact that Marci is very eco-centric that she uses as much organic products as possible, liquid soaps, organic foods from local farms and farmers markets, such as spices, fruits, vegetables of which she uses in her breakfasts, yogurts, breads, teas etc. She is extremely mindful of creating a peaceful, tranquil environment – you would never know that you are in the 3rd largest city in Massachusetts. Bright, airy, spacious rooms, well-decorated, one can tell the extra-added touch she puts into making sure everyone has a wonderful visit.

It appalling how amazingly critical some people are in this world. It’s evident that certain reviews are by people that would act pleasant and courteous in person, but vicious and disrespectful hiding behind a computer. Frankly, Marci deserves much more praise than most Inn Keepers. She single-handedly runs the Inn while being a single mom raising a child in this hectic world; a beautiful young lady.

World renowned guests have stayed at the Inn; well-known TV personalities, documentary hosts, Pulitzer-Prize winners, famous actors, award winning authors of the NY Times, people from all-around the world…highly revered, well-respected individuals; real people. One could only hope to have such a wonderful experience in their travels!

Room Tip: Any room is an excellent choice!
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

For those traveling to Baystate Medical Center or Children's hospital in Springfield, MA - this could be the perfect spot to stay as it's right across the street. For those dying to visit Springfield and the Basketball Hall of Fame, there might be a more suitable location.

Pros
- proximity to the medical complex
- very large rooms
- clean bathrooms
- multiple beds in rooms for kids / guests
- nice, underutilized patio
- very accommodating proprietor
- ample and convenient parking
- easy in and out access to in to the B&B

Cons
- located on a busy road (some traffic noise)
- missing those "touches" that most B&Bs have - main parlor, wine hour, warm cookies, etc..
- the breakfast wasn't on par with most of the B&Bs we've visited
- towels smelled a bit musty (might be the organic detergents)
- pillow cases didn't smell fresh (old, stale smell)
- the breakfast area is actually in 'their' kitchen
- rooms seemed a bit 'overstuffed' with furniture

Because I think this place has real potential, and because I've stayed at B&Bs and Inns across the globe, here are some of my constructive suggestions.

Suggestions
- Make the breakfasts something that guests will fondly remember (plain scrambled eggs that can be ordered at any diner don't lend to the B&B feel), however, scrambled eggs with a blend of local cheeses, milk and herbs is more unique
- Have fresh local fruit available, perhaps from:http://www.echohillorchards.com/?www.catchwine.com
- Have a bottle of local wine for your guests to enjoy in the evening. Cost is minimal, but these touches separates chain hotels from B&Bs. The Hampton Hotel chain has figured this out and has a dedicated following of guests. There are several wineries in Mass, perhaps: http://www.hardwickwinery.com/?www.catchwine.com
- Plant some small trees around the patio to make it an enclave from the parking lot / neighbors
- Put some potted plants on the patio to add color and make it an inviting place for guests to relax
- Spend $2K on some couches and loveseats from Target for the patio and make it a place for people to hangout, relax and enjoy
- Drop a 1/2 cup of amonia into the towel wash to get a fresher smell
- Add towel bars, so towel dry better. Our bathroom only had two small hooks

Room Tip: Local fare: A Typical Sicilian Restaurant is your best bet for non-locals visiting Springfield.
Casselberry, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Marci provided a delightful experience for our 6 night stay. Our room was beautiful and all of our needs were met.

Room Tip: There a variety of sizes of rooms available.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is our second stay at Naomi’s Inn. Spring of 2012. Although the Innkeeper is very nice she is not the best housekeeper. We stayed in a different room this time. Again me and the dust on the TV, under the TV and on the bookshelf (NOTE: these are those OLD TV's). I had to go to my mom’s house and get some dust cleaner. Overall the room was clean the bed was comfortable, linens and towels. The bathroom was nice and clean. I stay at Naomi’s Inn because of these reasons: it’s close to my mom’s house; it is only one of very few places in Springfield to stay at; it is less expensive than the Sheraton or the Marriott and is cleaner and safer than the other choices of hotels in Springfield. She is not at all a good cook. We tried breakfast on our first visit. Never do that again. If you are looking to stay in Springfield I would say stay at Naomi’s Inn. It is way less expensive, it is clean, comfortable, has free parking, and you can get to wherever in Springfield or surrounding areas you are going fairly quickly. Be prepared to eat out for breakfast. The Wifi never let me get on Facebook or my online school so I had to use my own hotspot. I have to agree with another review on the noise level. It can be a bit noisy in the morning on the first floor especially when listening to the person walking in heels. The second floor isn’t as bad. Marci is very friendly and helpful to visitors when looking for places to visit while out and about in the area and if you ask her for something she will bring it right to your room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Naomi's Inn? Share your experiences!