“Great place for a family party” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
West Springfield, MA
“Great place for a family party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

First, let me say the pizza is fabulous. Now that's out of the way, it's the rest of the place and its staff to talk about. We were having a birthday party for Grampa with 12 people, including toddler, infant, three kids and a teenager, six assorted adults.

That is NOT easy on a server, but Dawn (lucky us) handled everything so easily. A special frame to put the baby carrier in, a booster seat, appetizers, salad, pitchers of soda and wine, etc.

While we were just tucking in to the salad, I noticed other waitstaff marching to different tables carrying huge cans of whole tomatoes. Exercise? Nuh, uh. It's a great place to place a very hot, huge pan of pizza, elevated enough for both safety and space saving in the middle of the table.

I just had the pizza but other adults ordered huge portions of baked ziti that I'm told were terrific.

The Red Rose is very accommodating if you want to bring your own cake. They have a cooler, ready to go upon arrival, and they serve it without adding a fee, the way so many other places do (like a corkage upcharge)

Truly a family friendly place, with a playground in the back for the restless little ones.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Food was meh, terrible service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate here after visiting the Springfield Museums. Not impressed. The waitress was terrible. Took to long to take our order, slow to refill drinks, and overall poor attitude. We ordered a medium mushroom and onion pizza, we were hungry and saw all the other patrons around us getting bread. We asked our waitress about it and her reply was since we ordered pizza we didn't get bread. What kinda place selectively give customers bread and not the others. When our pizza came we ate and then left. Would not recommend this place. Very disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Granby, Massachusetts
“Lunch at the Rose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

My wife and I had the Shrimp Scampi, delicious comes with salad and bread.
Great pizza, parking in the rear.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ware, Massachusetts
“First Visit back in 16-Years...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

And it was exactly as I remembered. Bright and promptly seated. Very friendly wait staff. Food came out a little slow but not an issue. This is a very family place. We had the family salad which was exactly what you would expect but a huge bowl, the app. platter, and a large pizza. My wife and daughters, who are quite picky ate a ton! Can't wait to go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great pizza, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We usually make our own pizzas, and rarely order pizza out. The exception is Red Rose--great pizza, not greasy, lots of different toppings. My wife likes the Margherita; I like sausage, peppers and mushroom.

We take my father-in-law out for Sunday lunch once or twice a month, and Red Rose is friendly and reliable. Service is prompt and friendly. The menu is pretty standard--perhaps a little stodgy-- and I think that they could benefit from some updating and trying some new dishes. But for a classic "red sauce" Italian restaurant, it's good, reliable and reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2014