“Amazing Food and Stellar Service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Chicopee, Massachusetts, USA
“Amazing Food and Stellar Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

If you have been to On the Border and liked it (as I do) you need to try Mama Iguana's in Springfield. The prices are practically the same, the menu has a many of the same items but with a more authentic tex-mex feel and definitely more fresh. The first thing I noticed was the clean and smooth taste of the salsa. It didn't taste of acid the way most pre-prepared salsas do. I'm not sure if they make it fresh but I'd be amazed to learn that they don't. I asked our server (I want to say his name was CJ) to recommend a Margarita and the one he brought me made a second one mandatory. The best Margaritas in town, bar none. Even with a packed restaurant, the wait for a table was short (less than 20 mins) and service time was also great for the volume of business and number of tables each server was taking care of. It was about 25 minutes from the time we placed our order to the time it came out. Bear in mind that this place was PACKED and has seating on two floors. Other restaurants I could name have left us sitting longer in an almost empty restaurant. My wife and I both ordered chicken fajitas and we had the Empanada appetizer to share. I highly recommend both. The manager even came around to see if everything was good and even offered more tortillas for the fajitas, which we totally did not need. They feed you really well. On Sundays, they have a kids eat free deal (at the time of this writing - please call ahead to confirm) so there is little doubt we will be going there as a family before too long.

Visited January 2013

Springfield, Massachusetts
“Grade: C- Food sub-par with slow service. We wont be back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visited Mama Iguanas because we love Mexican food. We were all disappointed with our meals & service. It took a long time to get our food and when we got it, we were unimpressed. The fajitas were bland, the meat very overcooked, dry & jerky-like. The beef fajitas were sliced over a half an inch thick and were chewy and tough - awful! The burritos were average. (Chipotle Mexican Grill has a way better tasting burrito for way less money.) The price that you have to pay for the food at Mama Iguanas is just not worth it.
This restaurant probably makes most of its money on booze: $8 for a specialty drink. Many people come for their fruity and tropical alcoholic beverages and then hang out at their cool- looking bar. Their mixed drinks menu & wine list is extensive.So, if you are looking to pay a high price for many different alcoholic concoctions, then this place is for you. If you are looking for good Mexican Food, this is not the place to go.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best Mole around!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I loved the atmoshphere, the flights of Tequila (I recommend a flight of Ka) The mole sauce is outstanding! A perfect blend of chocolate and spice. Slightly on the expensive side however. Parking is far away when busy but bicycle taxi's are everywhere is the spring/summer, a lot of fun!

Visited August 2012
Chicopee, Massachusetts
“Absolutely terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had probably the worst restaurant going experience ever. Had a 7pm reservation and did not get seated til around 7:35 because our table was given away right in front of us. Table for ten accidentally given away apparently. Next off, our waitress was absolutely horrible. She was not rude in anyway but she was the worst waitress I've ever had. She never came to refill our waters, she took forever to take our dinner order, she never revisited the table for almost anything despite the fact that she walked past our table a hundred times. Then an order for a second round of drinks was placed and they never showed up. Asked some other guy about our drinks and he went to the bar and came back with them in less than a minute so clearly our waitress forgot about them. Placed our food order and an hour and a half later still no food. Half our table cancelled our orders and left including myself and the other half stuck it out and left no tip. I completely lost my appetite. I have never gone to a restaurant for over two hours and left having not eaten. After we complained to someone there the waitress apologized and said the manager would come over to our table to speak with us and he never did. That was the icing on the cake for me. Not only will I never go back, but I am telling everyone I know about my experience. My recommendation to all who read this is pick somewhere else to go for dinner.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Much Improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We went to the Springfield location when it first opened and were not impressed. However, as with any new opening restaurant, they had to get through the kinks first. And they did. We went this past summer on a Sunday. There are few restaurants in Springfield where you can sit outside. (We loved this outside location at the old restaurant that was here.) We sat on the deck (which is mostly covered). Had a great waiter who was not only hilarious but efficient as well. Excellent margaritas and the food was so much better than the first time we had come here. Definitely much improved!

Visited July 2012