“Ehhhh skip it if you aren't a super fan!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 32 things to do in Springfield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the town where basketball was invented, this 48,000-square-foot museum has three levels of exhibits on the history and heroes of the game and gives visitors a chance to participate in skill contests.
Newcastle, Australia
64 attraction reviews
“Ehhhh skip it if you aren't a super fan!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We got a Groupon for this today and phew...so glad we didn't pay full price! This place is really kind of geared to a super basketball fan. The top floor is all basketball paraphernalia in glass cases with paragraphs after paragraphs about what each thing is. The second floor was a little bit better. There were some interactive exhibits but nothing that really stands out. The bottom floor, the basketball court, was a disaster area! There were probably 100+ people trying to play basketball. My 5yo was hit in the head with a ball and I was hit as well. It's just not really organized. With so many people and a relatively small space, they need some set activities for people to do. Families trying to play a full basketball game really takes away from people trying to shoot a few baskets and leave! Also....this place isn't in the best area. All in all, it was on our bucket list and now we won't go back.

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Good Attraction but needed a little more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Having seen the Hockey Hall of Fame, I didn't think it measured up, and I am a basketball fan more so than a hockey fan. We drove from Boston specifically to see the Hall of Fame, and there were some sections that were well done and we really enjoyed. The ball playing kids enjoyed the rebounding and the jump measurement, and of course dunking on the different nets. The kids would give it a 5 out of 5 for the gym area but my husband and I felt it was lacking. I expected to see the NBA Champiionship Trophy on display (I don't know what it's called and it wasn't there so I didn't learn it either). I expected more interactive areas, maybe things like foul shooting contest out of 20 shots or video replay of your shot to compare it to the Hall of Famers, or test your shot from different distances. After confirming ahead of time that our group would be able to visit the entire museum and play on the hardwood in there, we arrived to find the gym had been rented and were told the kids couldn't go on the floor until three hours later. Unfortunately I had to be very assertive with the manager on duty and he did arrange for this to happen but it definitely put a blemish on our visit.

Belmont, New Hampshire, United States
“Classy Great Family Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Great place free parking was nice. Easy to get in and out. Had a great day. So clean and Classy.
I paid $60 for four of us to get in with a AAA discount they didn't want my card so anyone must get a discount of some kind i'm guessing? I thought it should be little less for teens and all students to get in?? It was an adult rate for my 14 year old son. Should Maybe Give away at least one type of souvenir for kids.Three floors of Basketball. Hall of Famer's Shrine up top was amazing. Interactive Play skills challenges on second level was pretty good. Full court with all the basketball Hoops through out was neat. Four levels of rims to dunk on was my kid's favorite thing. Staff was great and very helpful through out.

Bergen, NJ
20 attraction reviews
“My girls (10 and 6) love the visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My girls (10 and 6) does not know a lot of the basketball history, coaches and players, but they had a great time at the Basketball Hall of Fame. They take AAA discount - bonus!

3rd floor / dome displays all players inducted into the Hall of farmers. Each player has a picture, a write up, and maybe a little artifacts. If you are a big basketball fame, you will absolutely love it! 2nd floor is whether they display the uniforms and interactive games like how high can you jump, can you rebound, basketball shooting, virtual basketball etc. 1st floor is a full size basketball court with balls all museum goers can take, aim and shot.

Visited February 2013
18 attraction reviews
“Tough for younger kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My boys (ages 9, 6 & 4) love basketball, as do I. However, it was tough for the younger two to maintain interest in the historical aspects, especially some of the earlier players that they never heard of. I appreciated touring the exhibits probably more than they did, but in the end, the kids had a good time. Probably better for older kids (8 and older) who really love the game, rather than the casual fan.