“A delightful experience with wonderful hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Alaska Ocean View Bed & Breakfast Inn
1101 Edgecumbe Dr, Sitka, AK 99835   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Sitka B&B and Inns
new jersey
“A delightful experience with wonderful hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is a very friendly and comfortable bed and breakfast. You are away from the cruise ship hoards. The hosts are affable and knowledgeable. They add to the experience. It is very clean. It may well be the best place to stay in Sitka if you do not mind the fact that it is not in the center of town. Almost any amenity you could desire is available. They also try to tailor the breakfasts to your wishes rather than just offering standard fare.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Henderson, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

From the moment we walked in we felt completely pampered! The beds are SO comfortable, the rooms appealing, and the breakfasts are the BEST I've ever had! Bill and Carole have become fast friends - they gave us the privacy we needed but were always available. Conversation with Bill and Carole was stimulating and enjoyable. Our rooms were well kept and every amenity was available. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Sitka. I just wish they had a B&B in every town I visit!

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Carole and Bill operate a wonderful B&B with warm hospitality that makes their guests feel like they are home away from home. The breakfasts are outstanding, the decor gives you a taste of Alaska without even leaving the premises but they also guide and direct you to wonderful whale watching cruises, walking tours and other sight seeing opportunities in Sitka. Best of all are the sleeping accommodations. They are the most comfortable in the world - it is like sleeping on a cloud. This place is a must! I have had the privilege of staying with them five or six times over the past five years for various reasons.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I cannot review the accommodations at the Ocean View, because my reservation there was canceled at the last minute. We had made arrangements to stay at the Ocean View after a couple of nights of camping. Carol took my reservation on Thursday for the following Tuesday and Wednesday. On Saturday, I got a voice mail message saying that, due to an unfortunate mix up, my reservation would have to be bumped. I understand that these things sometimes happen, but it would have been nice if someone at the Ocean View had offered to help us find other accommodations. Carol knew that we were camping, and were probably not in the best position to make last minute lodging arrangements. From other reviews, I gather that the Ocean View is a lovely B & B, but they could have been more thoughtful in dealing with their booking snafu rather than simply dumping the most recent reservation.

Stayed August 2008
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I stayed at the Ocean View in May 07 and it was fabulous! I have such fond memories of my time there, I stayed for about 4 days. The shuttle bus from the ferry drops you off right at the door (remember to get a return ticket and one phone call and they pick you up again) and Carol is waiting to welcome you with such warmth.

I stayed in the Dogwood room which is a lovely large room wth a balcony with views out over the water. There is a separate eating and dressing area and a bathroom, lots of room. The facilities are excellent (another reviewer has detailed things such as the microwave so I won't go into it all) but the thoughtful little touches such as the binoculars provided to look out to sea are wonderful.

Breakfast is great - a lovely chance to meet other guests and hear stories from Carol and Bill which are all true!! (Such as the Great White shark spotted in the area - I Googled it and its true!! Sorry Carol, wasn't that I didn't believe you!) Carol will go to all efforts to make breakfast a really enjoyable part of your stay - one of those little memories that will always stay with me is of us chatting one morning about how Alaskans use courgettes (you call zucchinis) in lots of things such as cakes (we Irish don't!) and next day, of course, breakfast deliberately included little courgette bakes - so thoughtful and as I say, a touch that will always stay with me.

Do make use of both Carol and Bill's wealth of knowledge of things to do in the area. I met with other guests and, along with Carol, we all went on a whale watching trip one day.

The only slight downside is the location which is a little way out of town and to me was a pretty dull walk into town but that was really a small price to pay for a great stay.

One thing I'm not sure has been mentioned is that there is a laptop provided for internet access for guests which is a bonus if like me, you're travelling away from friends and family for a while,

I am grinning as I type this at the great memories - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Liked — Great facilities and warm, helpful owners
  • Disliked — Slightly out of town - bit of a walk to get to get into heart of Sitka
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

We stayed at Alaska Ocean View B&B in July 2007, and it was a very nice experience. Carol and Bill have thought of every little detail for making your stay comfortable and pleasant. We were especially pleased with the cleanliness of this B&B.

One very impressive thing about Alaska Ocean View is the amount of detailed information you receive from Carol before your arrival. She provides lots of information about transportation from both the ferry and the airport and information on local attractions as well as a complete description of the room and what supplies are provided. And there was a LOT provided -everything from baggies, paper plates and cups, emergency sewing supplies, an assortment of teas, coffee, creamer, wine glasses, corkscrew, etc. You name it, it was there!

We stayed in the Dogwood room, which has a nice eating area in addition to the bedroom and huge bath. The eating area contains a small table and two chairs placed in front of the window for maximum enjoyment of the view. There is also a microwave, complete with popcorn, and a small refrigerator, stocked with cold drinks. In addition, there is a large closet, and a single bed tucked into another closet area, for those needing additional sleeping space. The bathroom is also very nice, with a large jetted tub, two sinks and a separate toilet area. Of course, there are soaps, shampoos, shaving supplies, body wash, even a sanitized pouf. The sleeping area is especially nice, with a fireplace, Bose radio, CD player, large TV, two easy chairs, a couple of small tables and one really comfortable king bed with lots of luxurious linens. (It makes me sleepy just remembering it!) Did I mention the view from the room? Spectacular!! Sliding glass doors lead to a small balcony where we could enjoy our morning coffee and watch the little fishing boats heading out for the day. We could also use the excellent pair of binoculars that were in the room to spot eagles and whales.

Breakfast was delicious. There was an assortment of cereals, fruits, juices, more coffee and pastries, if you wanted a "light" breakfast. And of course, they provided a full cooked breakfast every day as well. There was certainly no reason to start the day out hungry!

It was a bit of a walk to downtown Sitka, but it was pleasant, and a good way to walk off that breakfast, so we opted to walk to town and back the whole time we were there.

After a long day of sightseeing, we returned to the B&B and made good use of the jacuzzi on the downstairs deck.

We enjoyed our visit so much that we wished we could stay longer. The day before we left, Carol said it's wise to make shuttle reservations to the ferry a full 24 hours in advance, and she took care of that for us. The shuttle was running late on departure day, and we were nervously waiting by the curb for it. Just as I took out my cell phone to check on them, Carol called to us through the window, saying she had already checked and they were on their way. That's just an example of her thoughtful and very careful and thorough attention to detail. We would not hesitate to stay at Ocean View again and would certainly recommend it to our friends.

• Liked — Cleanliness, convenience, comfort
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2004

Good points: superbly appointed B&B with more facilities than many five-star hotels. Carol Denkinger, the owner, takes a very personal interest in her guests. She is very obliging and will organise your stay in Sitka if you let her.
Bad points: to sensitive souls Carol may seem overwhelming at times. Hundreds of signs posted all around house telling you to do this and that. The B&B is located a mile from downtown, which can be a long walk in the rain.

Been to Alaska Ocean View Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!