“History of Russian Orthodox Church in Sitka” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Attractions in Sitka
Type: Religious Sites, Cultural
Bremerton, Washington
28 attraction reviews
“History of Russian Orthodox Church in Sitka”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This authentic rebuilt church has artifacts saved from the original church which did burn. It is beautifully maintained and presented. Services are held there twice a week. Meanwhile, visitors may visit for a fee of $5 per person. The dome roof and cross shaped building are so impressive. The crosses, pictures and religious icons are something not often seen. Sitka has done a lovely job of maintaining its history.

Visited August 2012

Mapleton, Utah, United States
12 attraction reviews
“Interesting but a little creepy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Fairly impressive cathedral for such a small town. Had quite a few relics and artifacts. This was the first time I've visited a Russian Orthodox church. I can't say why, but for some reason both my wife and I thought the place felt kind of creepy. It bothered her so much that she just wanted to leave the entire time we were there.

Visited July 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
44 attraction reviews
“Interesting, but not for everyone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My mom and I enjoyed learning about the historic St. Michael's Catedral, we also saw amazing art work, sculptures, and artifacts. The entrance fee is nominal and helps with the restoration/maintanence of the cathedral. However my partner was extremely bored and disinterested. Apparently my Catholic upbringing brought back a bit of nostaglia. Interesting attraction in Sitka, but not everyone will appreciate it.

Visited May 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
57 attraction reviews
“Worth taking time to visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

On July 4, 2012 while in Sitka as a port of call during an Alaskan cruise on the Westerndam, I visited this church. Our guide, Carolyn, explained the history & significance of this church. She was able to explain the various icons. It is now mainly a native American church. I bought a booklet about the church to bring home to read.
This was a part of a tour of Sitka. I found it worthwhile.
Later on that afternoon was able to meet the bishop, a very nice individual.

Atlanta
62 attraction reviews
“The heart of Sitka”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

While we visited here during our week in Sitka, we also returned on Sunday morning to be part of their regular worship service at 9:30 A.M. This turned out to be a highlight of our entire trip, as we were welcomed as part of the community and had an opportunity to visit with the priest over coffee at the conclusion of the service. One of the parishioners thanked us for staying for the whole service (apparently most visitors leave after a few minutes) and then greeted us warmly on the street several days later. If you've never experienced an Orthodox service, this is a great place to start. For Protestants it is a radically different type of worship. While the original building burned in the 1960's, the current church is filled with icons and items from the first. Its also a strong connection to the priest who had lived in the Bishop's House just a hundred yards or so down the road. Note the location of the church, right in the middle of the town, where it served as the center of the community. Worth a visit to take in its beauty, but also worthy of a place to worship.

Visited June 2012

Been to St. Michael's Cathedral? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage St. Michael's Cathedral, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.