“Salmon tours - Fun; interesting and informative” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours
Attraction Details
MSP USA
10 attraction reviews
“Salmon tours - Fun; interesting and informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Excellent tour for 4hrs. We did a walk through Sitka historic park; salmon hatchery; walk through town; toured the fisheries cooperative processing plant, The walking tour, plant tour, etc was very interesting and informative but also fun. The guides we had were great. Highly recommended

Visited July 2012

Sitka, Alaska
“Great Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We did this tour yesterday afternoon and really enjoyed it. The two guides were great and very knowledgeable. We walked through beautiful forests and over and along the Indian River, habitat for some of the salmon and then down to the harbor to see the boats in the fleet. We learned about 5 kinds of salmon in this area and learned the role of fish hatcheries and the conservation efforts that the fishermen of Sitka are making in partnership with many other groups. We would highly recommend this tour.

Visited July 2012
Belleville, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“Unforgettable Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Going on a Sitka Salmon Tour was one of the best decisions we made on how to spend our limited time in Sitka. Who could have guessed there is so much to know about salmon? Focusing on just this one animal opens doors to the region’s history, its culture, people, economy, environment, and more. Nic Mink is an outstanding tour guide. He moved us smoothly through the Sheldon Jackson Hatchery, Totem Park, and the docks, all the while sharing his impressive wealth of knowledge. We especially loved the unforgettable mnemonic device he gave us to remember the five basic types (you’ll have to take a tour to learn it!). Sitka Salmon Tours was a highlight of our mid-June visit to Sitka—we would return for another tour in a heartbeat!

Visited June 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Experience the breadth of Alaska during the Sitka Salmon Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

On a beautiful 2 hr tour, I experienced old growth forests, thousands of salmon returning to spawn, totem poles, crystal clear rivers, and mountain views across the sound. This was followed by viewing a hatchery, and seeing the different types of salmon fishing boats at the docks. This tour explained the life cycle and history of salmon as it relates to the sustainability of the forests and modern fishing practices in Sitka. Fantastic tour! Very informative and gorgeous scenery.

Visited August 2011
Sitka, Alaska
“Beautiful, Informative, and Entertaining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I live in Sitka, and when my dad came to visit I was looking for something in town we could do, and I am so happy we found Sitka Salmon Tours.

Living in Sitka, I know a lot about salmon, salmon runs, salmon fishing, and everything else related to salmon.

Wow I was wrong.

Our tour leader was a university professor who was extremely knowledgeable about everything fish related. We saw the salmon spawning, we went to the docks and learned about how salmon are fished, we went to the salmon hatchery, we walked through the forest and learned how the forest supports the salmon runs.

What was so amazing to me though was that I live here - I've been through the forest and to the river and the docks - and yet I still did not know so much of this information.

Very fun, very informative, I will definitely be back with friends and family next time they visit Sitka.

Visited August 2011

Been to Sitka Salmon Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sitka Salmon Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later