“Snowed in on Once Upon A Mountain” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Once Upon a Mountain

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Once Upon a Mountain
You added Once Upon a Mountain to your Saves list
974 Cross Mountain Road, Luray, VA 22835   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
Annville, Pennsylvania
“Snowed in on Once Upon A Mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This B&B is a dream. Located a few miles outside of Luray, the drive through pastoral Shenandoah Valley is gorgeous. The log home is beautifully situated atop the Blue Ridge mountains and combines rustic elegance with excellent hospitality. We unfortunately :) were snowed in an extra day and our hostess couldn't have been more wonderful. Two thumbs up! :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Browns Mills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I took my girlfriend to stay one night in the queens suite, and was unable to leave the next and ended up staying another night! It was very difficult to leave! The hosts Christa and Willy (sweetest dog in the world) welcome you with such open hands and hearts... The view, the privacy, and the atmosphere are absolutely perfect, and even though we had an unexpected snowstorm, not even that could tarnish this perfect getaway. Go there if you want your hearts warmed and your souls rejuvenated!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Peyton and I stayed checked in this past weekend and had a blast. Christa and Willie (pet dog) took us in w/ open arms. The view, food and service was second to none. I highly recommend taking a trip to Luray and see Christa/ Willie. Thanks for a beautiful weekend. Email me if you need direct reference. Yes, I like it this much. 703-623-7385

Room Tip: We stayed in Sleeping Beauty, but the other rooms were nice too.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

What a delightful location and beautiful setting.

Too bad the bed linens were stained, the shower dirty, and the towels wearing thin.

The Hostess was warm and sweet. Breakfast was good!

Loved being close to the National Parks and access to the hiking trains.

All in all we would choose a different place to stay the next time we were in town.

NOT a 4 star experience.

Room Tip: Disappointed in choices of restaurants in Luray. Loved hiking in the mountains in the area and eat...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mtninnlady, Owner at Once Upon a Mountain, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for writing a review. I would like you to know that we replace many towels during the year and I will make sure this one is replaced. Regarding the 'dirt' on the bottom of the shower stall, this is a combination of silicon plus minerals from our well water. It can only look clean by replacing the silicon - and that will look 'dirty' again in no time. So sorry, but that is the problem with mountain well water. The stain on the blanket is from coffee which I've tried to get out with all kinds of cleaners to no success. I'll replace it also.
Please let us know who you are so we can extend a gift certificate for a return visit.
Best regards, Christa
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife bought us this get away just before Christmas. Christa, made our visit feel like a home away from home. We strolled the 11 acre lot in the mornings after an amazing breakfast, explored the town, or just played games beside a roaring fireplace, evenings were filled with nights beside the fire outside making smores or sharing a glass of wine. I could not ask for more. The rooms and views are absolutely amazing. I would recommend this to anyone who loves the outdoors as much as they love being spoiled and having the better things in life. This was a great balance of the two.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I love this place, it's amazing.

The house was amazing and so were the views of the mountains from our deck.

Christa has great suggestions of places to eat and things to do here in Luray Virginia.

Willy was a great host.

I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
maryland usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this B&B. We stayed 2 nights in October as a 90th birthday surprise for my MIL. (She loves the mountains.) She had the Queen Suite and we had the Sleeping Beauty - both were excellent. The house is lovely and open, understated elegance and art work everywhere.

The views are wonderful from all the rooms, and you can sit out on the balcony overlooking the mountains. I woke up early each day, just to sit outside with my cup of coffee and enjoy nature. Christa was there when we needed her, but gave us time and space to relax.

Christa is a warm and welcoming hostess. She made us feel like old friends, and my MIL positively LOVED her. This visit was primarily for the MIL, so we did not take advantage of the outdoor hot tub or fire pit (with s'mores!). Next time!

There is much to see and do in the area. It is just a short way to get on Skyline Drive, which magically opened for us after the sequester, making the 90th birthday surprise even better.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Once Upon a Mountain? Share your experiences!