“The warmest, friendliest B&B I have ever been to” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast
You added Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
1048 Piney Hill Road, Luray, VA 22835   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
New York City
“The warmest, friendliest B&B I have ever been to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

My husband and I set out for a quiet week in the Shenandoah Valley but there was so much to do in the area..... 5 days weren't enough! There is civil war history, nature, sightseeing, wineries, hiking, antiquing among other things to do. But the best part were the innkeepers, Hank and Wiley, who are very warm welcoming people who made our stay very comfortable. Not to mention the delicious breakfasts! The scenery in the mountains and on the hikes is breathtaking....unfortunately most of photos are to big to post so you just have to take my word for it.

• Liked — the innkeepers and the scenery of the rolling farmslands
  • Disliked — Nothing I didn't like
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay longer than a weekend
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

My husband found this delightful retreat for me. Hank and Wiley were welcoming, considerate and attentive without being overbearing or intrusive. Plus, the breakfasts were practically gourmet! I can't wait to visit with my husband so he can see firsthand what a good choice he made for my weekend getaway.

• Liked — The Innkeepers
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

Our experience at Piney Hill B&B with our cousins who were celebratiing their anniversay was more then we ever expected...Not only is this a lovely farm house located in the most beautiful setting but the owners Hank and Wiley made it especially warm and inviting. The house is very comfortable and it felt like home! Looking forward to our return.

Stayed August 2006
York, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

The Innkeepers Hank and Wiley make you feel like family the moment you walk in the door. They do anything they possibly can to make you feel comfortable and feel at home. Their place is impecibly decorated with antiques. They can suggest restaurants or places to see and have brochures and maps on most of the local sights. We went to the caverns on a rainy night. The next day we hiked the White Oak Canyon trail in the Shenandoah Forest, went to Rappahannock Winery and to Dan's Steakhouse for dinner. We met two really great guys from D.C. and convinced them to go out to dinner with us. They didn't regret it! The bulls in the field next door add to the ambience of the place...just watch out for the electric fence :-) Hank and Wiley will keep you entertained for hours with their stories. This was my third time there, and I will stay there many more times in the years to come.

Stayed September 2006
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

My husband and I loved our stay at Piney Hill Bed and Breakfast. The views from the property were amazing and the grounds of the house itself were so comfortable and relaxing. It was so nice to lay in the hammock and take in the fresh air. Inside the house, everything was beautifully decorated and definitely gave us a sense of home. Wiley and Hank, the innkeepers, were extremely friendly and hospitable. We enjoyed chatting with them in between our adventures outside the house. Lastly, the breakfasts were excellent!! Absolutely no complaints about our stay. We have already recommended this place to our friends and family and would certainly recommend it to anyone interested in staying in Luray.

• Liked — the house, food, views, innkeepers
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't forget to bring a baithing suit for the hot tub.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

My new wife and I spent two nights at the Piney Hill B&B early this week, and had a truly wonderful time. We had never been to a B&B before, so we didn’t know what to expect, and don’t have a real benchmark for comparison. However, I can definitely say the following:

The Innkeepers – Wiley and Hank are very eager to do everything they can to make their guests’ stay comfortable, enjoyable, and memorable. They are very proactive about this. When I made the reservation, I mentioned to them that we were newlyweds. When we arrived at the B&B, they personally congratulated us. When we reached our room, there was a set of flower petals on the bed arranged in a heart, along with a very nice card.

Just a few other examples:

1)They called restaurants on our behalf to inquire about their vegetarian dishes and to make reservations.
2)When my wife was craving a piece of fruit, Hank readily offered her a banana. (They had no responsibility beyond breakfast.) They had a homemade batch of chocolate chip cookies that we were able to treat ourselves to whenever we wanted.
3)When Hank found out that we were going canoeing on the Shenandoah, he proactively offered us his own umbrella in case it rained. (Luckily, it did not.)

Besides being helpful, both Hank and Wiley were fantastic company and were very knowledgeable about the area.

The Inn – The Inn is very well maintained. The décor is very “cute,” and has an antique feel. The common areas and the rooms are spotlessly clean. Our room (Emma Ruffner Rodgers) had its own full bathroom and a small Emerson TV with built-in VCR. Wiley and Hank maintain a nice collection of VHS movies for their guests. It’s very helpful, since there’s not much to do in the area in the evenings.

Our breakfasts were creative and delicious. On our first day, we had a very nice quiche with some sorbet and fresh fruit. On the second day, we had peach French toast with fruit and a peach/yogurt parfait.

The location – Luray and Shenandoah are fairly quiet towns. I and my wife drove through the northern portion of Shenandoah Park, rented a canoe from the Shenandoah River Outfitters for an 8 mile ride, walked around. If you are looking to party, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing getaway sans internet access and with a good amount of natural scenery, I very highly recommend it.

• Liked — Innkeepers
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
bethesda, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

What a wonderful mother/daughter retreat. I took my mother for the weekend for her birthday and we had the most relaxing and fun time imagineable. Piney Hills is a beautiful and lovingly restored farmhouse with gorgeous scenery. Hank and Wiley are warm and genuine people who really made us feel at home and were right on target with their recommendations for antique stores, wineries and restaurants. It was also my first weekend away without my children and Piney Hills exceeded my expectations. The breakfasts were amazing, and the rooms were immaculate. The next time we can get away, I certainly plan on bringing my husband.

Stayed August 2006

Been to Piney Hill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!