“Ok, but average” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Ok, but average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

We stayed at the Mimslyn, but on arriving in Luray decided to cut our visit from 3 days to just 2 days. Luray itself appears to be quite run down and whilst the Mimslyn is the top hotel in the area (bearing in mind there are only 8 overall) we found it to be scruffy in places. For instance; our bedroom the bathroom door didn't close and the paintwork and finish in the bedroom was poor. The food in the speakeasy was average, but with little option to eat anywhere else in Luray, if had to do.

Biggest problem was staying over on a Saturday when the hotel was full of wedding guests. We went out for a drive and came back to no available parking. We were woken up by noisy wedding guests constantly from 11:30 pm through to 3:00 am, laughing loudly, banging bedroom doors, shouting, generally just being completely inconsiderate. Whilst the hotel is not responsible for the behaviour of its wedding guests, it should perhaps put non-wedding guests in different areas of the hotel, if a wedding is planned.

Gym was also in the basement with pipework above your head, with very old equipment.

Plus side, good swimming pool though a little dirty with nice patio area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Jimsims, General Manager at The Mimslyn Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2009
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know of the issues with your recent visit.
I truly hope you return to The Mimslyn so we may show you how your comments have improved our product and service.
If I can do any thing to make your furure stay special please give me a call so I may personaly take care of your arragements.

Jim Sims

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

We spent one night at the Mimslyn and were very impressed. They really couldn't have been nicer. We had a dog which was only a $10 fee. The hotel is very pretty. Nice pool. The people at the hotel were friendly and helpful. If you are looking to stay at the Plaza or something like that, remember, this is Luray, VA.... this is a very nice, beautful small hotel. That said, it is not polished in the way some hotels in big cities are. Regardless, we loved our stay. My only complaint is that the hotel is on the expensive side. I think that you get what you pay for, but if you are looking for somewhere inexpensive to stay in Luray, perhaps look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
arh2658
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

I didn't have the chance to stay in the room because we didn't know about it till we booked a room at the best western. However, we wanted to check it out anyway. As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by a lady at the front desk, and another at the resturant. Me and my husband were a little hungary so we decided to get something to try the lunch buffet. Our waitress was very well-mannered, and seemed excitied (Ashley?) she didn't tell us her name, just got glimpse of her nametage. Anyway, the lunch buffet was delicious, 5 salads, soup, 3 entrees, 2 sides, and dessert, the best apple cobbler I have ever had! The rest of the staff seemed very friendly and upbeat! If me and my husband are ever in the area again, I will be booking a stay!

Den Bosch, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We cancelled a reservation at the Holiday Inn in Front Royal in favour of this hotel based on the reviews posted here by others.

Let's start this review a few weeks prior to our stay. After viewing their website, I came across a number of room pictures that showed enclosed beds with footboards. Being tall, I really don't fit in a regular US king- or queensize bed and are used to having my feet stick out of the bed. Obviously, enclosed beds with footboards are out of the question. The picture in their booking system, next to the room that I wanted to book, showed just a regular bed, without the footboard. Even though, I enquired specifically about the footboards prior to booking the room. I explained that a bed with footboard was no option due to myself being too tall to fit such a bed. Their answer was: no problem, all of our king-size beds are standard. So I went ahead and booked the room, an "historical room" with king-size bed and full bath.

We arrived at the Mimslyn Inn quite late, around midnight. The front-desk was staffed by a single person. She was very friendly and checked us in. Unfortunately, when we entered our room, we were confronted with a footboard on the bed. I immediately went downstairs and explained the situation. I also explained that I enquired specifically about the footboards prior to booking the room and that they had confirmed by e-mail that this would not be a problemen. The woman at the front-desk however could not help us. She told us that she had worked their just a few weeks and was not sure whether they even had any beds without the footboards in the hotel. She opened two other rooms for us, but both had beds with footboards too. In the end, we ended up in the original room - with a footboard. As you can understand, I did not sleep very well that night, and neither did my girlfriend. I ended up lying in the bed diagonally, with not much room to spare for my girlfriend. However, the woman at the front desk promised that it would be resolved the next day when the manager was in, so we managed for that one night.

When we came down the following morning around 9 am for breakfast, the restaurant was empty and there was nobody to help us. No buffet, nothing. We went back up to the room and checked whether we had made a mistake in the time, but we had not. The in-room documentation stated that breakfast should still be served, including a buffet. We went back and asked the front desk about breakfast.The girl at the front desk went into the kitchen, and someone came out and seated us. No buffet, just a small menu to choose from, and we were the only people in the restaurant.

When we went out after breakfast there was nobody at the front desk. So we decided to inquire about the bed when we got back that night for dinner. We expected them to sort it out during the day. That evening, when we came back at the hotel at 8pm, we found out that the hotel restaurant was closed. It is open only from thursday trough to sunday. We ended up driving 40 miles for a decent, non-fast-food restaurant that was still open.

When we got back to the hotel after dinner we were informed that all of the king-size beds in the hotel had footboards, and that they could only offer us a smaller bed. As it was already running late we ended up having a second bad night in the original room. If I would have known this earlier, I would have moved to another hotel.

The room itsself was extremely small. Nothing close to the pictures on the website. The airco unit was extremely noisy and the bathroom tiny and just very old. It was so cramped that, while seated on the toilet, you're knee scrapes the toilet roll holder. The "full bath" that we booked turned out to be just a shower, no bathtub at all. The "marbletop amenities" are simply two small marble shelves (window sills?) hung on the wall with standard shelf carriers over an old 1960's sink.

The building itself however looks magnificent. The lobby and public areas are well maintained very nice. Their is even a nice rooftop terrace. However, the bathrooms need a major refit and the rooms, at least the one that we were in, are just too small. They should probaby convert three rooms into two. The beds are simply not suitable for tall people and I am very disappointed in the way that they handled this issue. Even though I inquired about this a few weeks before our stay, I ended up paying a few hundred dollars for two sleepless nights. In the end, it's the bed and the room that matter, not the building that they are in.

West Virgina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

Stayed for a night this week and felt like we were in the lap of luxury. Special weekday price of $89.95 was a bargain. (though not mentioned when reservation made by phone for $175 a night). The weather was beautiful and the view of the mountains breathtaking. Rooms are a comfortable size but not spacious with beautiful furnishings. Supper in Speakeasy was delicious sandwiches, good beer, and entertaining bartender. Monday-Friday they currently have a lunch buffet for $9.95: Soup, 4 salads, 3 or 4 main dishes, side dishes and fine deserts in a posh setting.

Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

Each year on our birthdays, my wife and I "surprise" each other with some sort of trip to some unlikely place. It's gotten to be a bit of a custom, and we've been to a lot of places and seen a lot of things. We've been dog sledding, swimming with the Manatees, and other sundry adventures. Our trips always includes a couples massage (the highlight of our trip), followed by a pedicure for my wife - one of her favorite things.

This year I took my wife to see the Luray Caverns in Virginia, something she'd never seen before. In booking the trip, I happened across the Minslyn Inn's website, and noticed that they offered massages and pedicures. It looked like a nice place, so I called the Inn and booked a couples massage as well as my wife's pedicure. Since the Mimslyn had no rooms available for the weekend, we had to choose another hotel for our actual stay.

I booked the massage/pedicure two weeks in advance of our trip, so on morning of the the actual day, I phoned to confirm the appointment. The woman on the phone was a bit dismissive, but she did in fact verify the appointment. At 3:30pm that afternoon, we arrived at the Inn for our massage, only to find that 1) they only had one masseuse on duty, and 2) they had someone booked immediately after us, so she could only take one of us. To top it off, 3) they had no one do do my wife's pedicure.

I sent my wife in for her massage, then made my way to the front desk. The clerk apologized, but made no sincere attempt to rectify the problem, nor did he offer any options. I found this totally unacceptable, especially given the supposed caliber of this hotel. My wife and I have stayed at hotels ranging from the Hay Adams in DC, to a simple Clarion Inn in northern Ontario, and no one has ever fouled up anything this simple, ever. To add insult to injury, we were charged the full price for the one massage, with no offers of any sort of compensation for our inconvenience.

The Minslyn is a gorgeous hotel, but if you book any luxury items, you'd be well advised to double or triple check your reservation, as well as have a contingency plan ready. Better yet, save yourself the hassle and pick one of the many other options in Luray.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampton Roads, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

The Mimslyn Inn is a quaint and luxurious hotel that sits upon a hill overlooking the town of Luray and The Shenandoah Valley. Unfortunately for us the weather wasn't cooperating and the clouds were low, limiting our view. The lobby, restaurants, and grounds were very well kept and maintained. Our room, in The Roosevelt wing, was exceptional. As with the rest of the hotel, the room was very clean and comfortable. It maintained the theme and feel of an Old South Inn while providing the more modern amenities. The staff was quite friendly and at will to assist us with any needs. Our stay was a single night so our needs were the basics. My wife and I have come to favor the historic hotels, although considerably pricier, we enjoy the history and decor and find that the staff exemplifies their warm and friendly Southern hospitality to everyone. The Mimslyn Inn is indeed a favorable stay and we recommend it to all. If you find that you'll be in town during the week, you may catch an incredible unadvertised special on their smaller room which saves you about half.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!