“great staff, great food, great hospitality, great management” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Luray
Blacksburg, VA
“great staff, great food, great hospitality, great management”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I traveled to the Mimslyn Inn for a golf outing the weekend of July 19th, I had the pleasure of staying at the Mimslyn Inn as well as dining in the Speakeasy Lounge. The staff was wonderful from the front desk lady who checked me in to the GM of the establishment Mr. Sims. He greeted me with a welcoming smile and made sure that I knew where the golf course was located. After playing I went to dine at the Speakeasy where the Restaurant Manager Brian was absolutely fantastic; accommodating, friendly, and very hospitable. The chef, Chris, did an outstanding job in preparing the food, he even came into the Speakeasy to make sure that the food was prepared just right. I then went to the room to relax for the evening and found the room above and beyond my expectations. Clean, crisp, and a wonderful view of the mountains. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to any and everyone that is traveling through or making plans to be in Luray, VA.

Room Tip: Bring dress clothes and dine in the Circa 31, awesome chef Request room facing backside of hotel E...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

If it wasn't for the Groupon that we purchased for $75 per night stay at the Mimslyn, I would be absolutely furious. I don't like to throw around accusations but I think our discounted room rate had something to do with our assigned room.

Cleanliness:
When we arrived in our room after check-in I noticed a foul odor that smelled terribly like body odor. Since I worked in sales at a corporate hotel for several years and understand what kind of people hotel employees have to deal with regularly, I decided to deal with it and not request a new room. We left and came back to get ready for dinner around 7pm (no parking available whatsoever) and at this time I had a chance to take in more of the room. I noticed several patches of black mold growing under the window sill, sticky drink rings on the desk and both bedside tables, stains from and unknown liquid that had dripped down the wall behind the lamp on the bedside table, stains in the bathtub and hair gathered in the corner of the bathroom. Okay.... One of those things might be understandable but all of those together?!? I'm quite convinced they don't have a housekeeping or maintenance staff.

Location:
The location is pretty good actually. Just down the road from Luray Caverns and easily within walking distance to the (very few) shops which were mostly all closed. Beautiful view if your sitting on the front porch!

Rooms:
Problems-- We were assigned to a room overlooking a rooftop which had a light shining in the window all night. Since the shade wouldn't budge, I had to sleeping with a pillow over my eyes all night. ALSO, not sure what time it was but definitely in the middle of the night (well beyond the quiet hours rule) the FIRE ALARM went off and I nearly fell out of bed I was so startled. The alarm went on for about 5 minutes until it finally turned off.
Room quality (paint, carpet, construction, wall thickness, etc) are "antique" while the furniture including the teeny tiny pillows seemed to be fairly new.

Service:
The service was actually fantastic especially at the Circa '31 restaurant.

Value:
Even for the $75+tax deal, I feel that even that is priced too high for the quality of the hotel. Imagine spending upwards of $160 per night, having a disgusting room, not being able to park in the parking lot bc of locals and other tourists, getting a measly basket of muffins and coffee as your "complimentary continental breakfast" and running on no sleep..... Yeah I just hope no one has this same experience.

I will not be staying at the mimslyn again but will most definitely dine at circa '31 again. Their chef prepared the most amazing meal! Will surely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed after our trip to the Caverns. I decided on this place based on other reviews and wanted some where nicer to stay instead of a cheap chain hotel. We arrived earlier than we planned but the staff had no problems adjusting. They delivered our cheese and cracker plate within a few minutes of getting to the room. We ate at the Cirq restaurant and were very pleased. During dinner I requested the "Turn Down" service which was a very pleasant addition to the remainder of the evening. The Mimslyn Inn is definitely worth the trip and I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glenrothes, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights as a stop off point along the Skyline Drive as we wanted to visit the Luray Caverns and go rafting. The rooms can't be faulted for comfort, facilities and cleanliness. The pool is also a plus on what were very hot days. We ate in the Speakeasy on one night and then the terrace the next. The food was good if not anything special. There was a jazz band playing in the Speakeasy who were excellent and deserved a bigger audience (the restaurant was very quiet that night). So, why only 3 stars? Firstly, the staff were polite but not particularly welcoming and gave the sense that we were a nuisance to be tolerated. When the lobby bar ran out of a particular drink they did not offer to get it for us from the other bar...we had to troop down for that ourselves. At dinner, we felt that they would have preferred for us to eat and drink up quickly so that the bar could be closed early and they could go home. I can understand why they want to have a quiet policy after 10 pm for the comfort of other guests but being presented with a list of rules and threats of eviction on arrival is not welcoming...and frankly neither we nor our fellow guests were likely to want to party on into the small hours! And if I hear that Frank Sinatra cd again I'll scream!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in this stylish inn,the room was comfortable and the bathroom immense.We used their outdoor pool in late afternoon which was a bonus to cool off from the humid temperatures.We ate in their speakeasy dinner bar,the food was not the best,with a limited menu to choose from.They had a offer on their wine which was a bargain so that somewhat compensated for the main courses.There was a splendid two piece group playing which enhanced the atmosphere of the bar,when they stopped their set early most people left.Breakfast was orange juice,coffee and cakes,for the price we paid I was expecting more.A reasonable place to stay but overpriced.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Took my husband here for his birthday this weekend. The hotel and the staff more than came up to expectation. We had a Blue Ridge room which was very comfortable with a nice sitting area. The bed linens were superb. Jetted tub was nice touch.
We had wine tasting in the Speakeasy on Friday evening and the bar maid was informative and friendly. We had an excellent meal and the waitress was attentive but not overly so. She helped us with the wine. My husband was going to order a glass and then she told us that the bottle of red was on special and if we didn;'t finish it we could take it to our room - we did.
Breakfast was included both mornings and if you didn't want a full breakfast then juice, coffee or tea, and muffins were available on complimentary basis in the bar area.
We had the wine dinner last night and I have never had such tasty Mahi Mahi. Each course was paired with an appropriate wine and we were given the history of each type.
At lunch time today we had their Seafood Brunch. Lots to choose from and the only disappointment all weekend was the chowder - can hardly really complain about that.
We took the Wine Tour yesterday which included a packed lunch. I think there had been a misunderstanding on my part as some of the items were not included but the sandwiches were more than enough with things served at the wineries.
We have always been to their sister property The Bavarian Inn in W.VA but will be more than tempted to return here in the future.
We had an inclusive package which I thought was excellent value.

Room Tip: I understand their Historic Rooms are much more compact and you need to know there might not be even...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I often drive from Arlington VA through the Shenandoah Mountains to destinations near I-81 for breakfast. I stop at The Mimslyn for breakfast on occasion. I appreciate the old southern charm of the place. The dining room looks especially charming, but breakfast fare is rather pedestrian. Breakfast food at Cracker Barrel is higher quality, but The Mimslyn has the ambiance I seek on road trips. Despite the elegant surroundings, restaurant staff do not seem to be particularly well-trained. I don't order buffet, but a la carte. Still, some parts of my order obviously come from the buffet table, prompting me to send it back for something fresh. (Duh? I avoid the buffet for a reason.) On my most recent visit, I was served cold, dried out breakfast potatoes from the buffet. Cold bacon also came from the buffet. Inexcusable. I will return because of the relaxed ambiance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!