“A Beautiful and Romantic Inn” 5 of 5 stars

20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Luray
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
“A Beautiful and Romantic Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I purchased a Groupon deal for The Mimslyn Inn for a 2 night stay in a suite and either a round of golf or tickets to the Luray Caverns. My husband and I were so impressed as we drove up the long driveway to this beautiful Southern Plantation type inn /hotel Going inside was even more impressive. The hotel was renovated a few years ago and is beautiful. The lobby has a fireplace and grand piano as well as a small bar and wine gift shop. There is a solarium with a fireplace and outside patio on the 3rd floor which is calming and very lovely. The service is definitely 5 star. We were especially impressed with Crystal, the bartender in the lobby bar, and Amber, our server in the Speakeasy restaurant. Lunch and dinner at the Speakeasy was great and breakfast was excellent in Circa 31. Unfortunately, Circa 31 was not open for dinner since it is only open on Fridays and Saturdays for dinner. That was our only disappointment. We didn't golf because it rained in the morning but I was so happy to visit the Luray Caverns instead. They are breathtaking. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Ridge Suite on the third floor and the views were fantastic. In addition, there is...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed in one of the historic rooms for two nights with a Groupon deal that included the caverns and two museums. This is an old building so don't expect a lot of modern conveniences...You won't find a coffee pot in your room, but you can walk down the beautiful spiral staircase in the morning to fresh coffee and warm muffins. The luxury bed linens and bath towels were wonderful. We couldn't figure out how to pull down the blinds (look to the left side of the window for a bead cord) so when we called to ask, Mr. Paul came to our room in seconds to help. We did go to the Speakeasy Bar and Restaurant one evening and had the best house Merlot and great sandwiches. I had the ribeye and my husband had the Reuben; both were delicious. We did not get to the pool or hot tub, but both looked very inviting. Our stay here was really beyond expectations and the staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I think they all are good. If you need a lot of room, get a suite.
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This restored inn was a wonderful surprise. Staff was extremely accommodating--especially Aaron, the bellman on duty when we arrived and Paul who saw us off with bottles of cold water!
Our room on the first floor included a sitting area, gas fireplace, king-size bed, and a huge bathroom with a whirlpool tub. Although we would have loved to dined in the Circa 31 room (only open on week-ends) we are happy to have breakfast in the dining room and fine, casual dinners in the Speakeasy downstairs, Sunday evening, there was even music in the Speakeasy! The Luray Caverns were less than one mile and we played golf at the nearby Caverns Country Club--wonderful vistas! Would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Have to believe that rooms with king-size or two doubles would be largest.
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Recently my wife and I used a two day / night mid-week special package at the Inn. I had seen an add in the VA Wine Lover's Magazine and had remembered a sign in the loby of the Bravarian Inn in Sheperdstown W, VA for the Inn and remembered that the family who owns the Bravarian Inn also owns the Mimslyn.

The Inn underwent a major upgrade in 2008, I think. It is a lovely old Inn maintaining its old charm, which we like much more so than modern, contemporary facilities. The staff were very courteous and helpful. We stayed in one of the Roosevelt Suites, as it was my wife's birthday. It had two rooms: a bedroom and a sitting room w/ TV and gas fireplace. Although the sitting room was small, it was comfortable. The bedroom w/ wall mounted tv and king bed was comfortable, as was the bed. the bathroom was nicely done with adequate room for two.
The suite was in the back so it looked out over the small pool and yard. the upper part of the yard had three hammocks fastened to trees. We tried out one and promptly fell asleep as it was so peaceful. The Inn sits on top of a hill overlooking the valey in front of it, which was undeveloped when it was built in 1931. It also has a lovely foyer and balcony on the second floor in the back looking out over the yard. A couple we met on the front porch said they were delebrating their 56th? anniversary and had stayed there 50 years ago. Nice touch!

The main restarunt (Circa 31) is only open for breakfast during the week, but the Speakeasy Restaurant in the basement was open for lunch and dinner. We ate at both as we had a voucher for there as part of our Package. Breakfast at Circa 31 was good but the cold part on the buffet was a little sparse. The service was very good in both as was the food also. We signed up for a wine tasting in the little lounge area next to the bar at Speakeasys. Jim, the bartender, conducted the wine tasting. He was very knowledgable, experienced, courteous, friendly and professional also. They were featuring three wines from the Rappahannock Cellers, 6 miles south of Front Royal, VA: a Viognier, a Chardonnay and a Carbernet Franc. We liked the last two.

My wife used the Spa for a facial and Therapeutic Massage. Although she enjoyed the facial, she said that the young lady doing the facial was not every experienced and did not know either the products used in facials or even the products she was using, nor did she promote the products she used. Not good business! When a customer is paying for such services they should get knowledgable and experienced help. My wife did know the different products and product lines and at least when she explained them to the young lady, she was receptive and did a good job with the actual facial, following some of my wife's suggestions. My wife also said that pink or purple, not sure, hair and body jewlery (I think) is what "punk rockers" use and that does not belong in a setting like the Mimslyn Inn. All of that aside, my wife did enjoy the treatments.

Tthe reason for the asterisk * on my rating title is the following: the day after arriving I ordered two "Go Meal Packs" sandwiches which I thought would be a convenient lunch when we were hiking on the trails along Skyline Drive. The form for the order was clearly filled out and the woman at the desk submitted it to their kitchen. When it was time to leave to go hiking I retrieved the package with the sandwiches, but unfortuantely did not check it. After we had done some hiking and came to a lovely vista we decided to stop and have the lunch we bought. Unfortunately when we opened it, it was not what we had ordered and there was no water or napkins either, which it was uspposed to contain. Needless to say we were very disappointed! When we returned that evening I explained the error to the woman at the desk and gave her the bag and lunch and order form back and asked for a credit for the lunch. The woman was very appologetic and said that they would try and make it up to us. Shortly thereafter we went down to the Speakeasy bar /Restaurant for dinner as it was late and we had not had lunch. The assistant manager there greeted us and said that she had been made aware of the problem and that dinner was on them in order to try and make up the inconvenience. we appreciated that and enjoyed a nice dinner. The young waiter was excellent, attentive and professional.

The next day ,however, when we were checking out I noticed a charge on the bill that was the same as the dinner for the previous evening. I pointed it our and it was removed and the bill changed to relect it , which I signed and we departed. Two days later I went on to the web site of one of my credit cards to pay the monthly bill as I always do and noticed that same charge on bill. and the total amount charged to my account by the Inn when I checked out was more, by that amount, than the amount I signed for when I checked out.

Obviously not pleased, I called Mr. Steve Hand, the Resident Manager of the Inn who had just sent me an-e-mail thanking me for the comments I had left them relating to our stay, done before I realized the error on the bill. I explained the situation and he said he would look into it, which he did promptly. He later explained that the difference in the amount charged to my account and the amount on the final bill I signed, was not for the dinner but was an adjustment to the original package rate I was quoted in the beginning. I explained that the error was that of the Inn and that they cannot adjust a guest's bill after thay have signed the invoice thay are presented at checkout and then paid the amount accordingly. He said he would further look into it. He did so prompltly and said he would take care of crediting my account for that difference, which he did, and was very appolgetic for all of the inconveniences casued my wife and I.

The bottom line is that, notwithstanding the errors and screw ups noted, we did enjoy our stay there and the service we received and the ways the Inn staff responded to try and correct the
problms. We were assured by Mr Hand and others that those errors should not have happened and that they had talked to the staff responsible so as to try and avoid any repeat of such errors in the future. Mr. Hand did a nice job of getting everything straightened out.

The bottom line is that we will likely go there again and would recommend others to do the same. We would simply caution others to check your bills there, buit otherwise enjoy your stay. Their service was mostly great but their bookepping needs work!

All of this reminds me of the saying a former President used to say about the old SALT Treaty, "Trust But Verify". The same holds true of all bills and invoices!

Room Tip: Call and ask them to describe their rooms as there is no way on their site to view them to get a sen...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Martinsburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We started with a massage prior to check in...fantastic! Only downfall...after the massage a paper cone cup was handed to us with a small amount of water. A cup of tea or glass would have been preferred.

Room was fairly clean...just happened to find an old grape and screw on the floor....would not have like if we had stepped on either one.

The hotel bartender was a joy to speak with! Dinner at Circa 31 was fantastic! Ambiance overall was great. They have a great staff on board!

Virgina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We enjoyed the break from the normal places. Service was good and the pace was a welcome change. Tasty warm muffins waiting in the morning. A/C was a bit suspect but fall and spring are better times to be in Luray anyway.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here with 2 grandchildren. It is appropriate for couples and families and is a nicer place to stay if you want to visit Luray Caverns. The speakeasy downstairs was lively and fun for sometimes "loud" childrena nd the barbecue was delicious.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!