“Hey it's a place to stay!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Cardinal Inn

You added The Cardinal Inn to your Saves list
The Cardinal Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 East Main St, Luray, VA 22835 (Formerly Best Value Inn-Luray Caverns)   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Luray
“Hey it's a place to stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I stayed here two winters . It's not fancy but it does need a few upgrades. Heat makes too much noise, wifi only works outside of room, too cold this time of year! Price weekly needs to go down because during the winter there are no tourists around. So lower the price please! Owner is friendly and so is the maid. Near downtown luray so woul b nice place in summer to stay.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hyattsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

We wanted to see Luray Caverns, and this place suited our needs. It looked as if the Cardinal Inn was placed in the cradle of the mountains. Everywhere we turned, we saw the mountains - absolutely stunning! We liked the quietness, the easy commute to places we wanted to go, and the beautifully well-maintained grounds. We really liked the chairs outside on the "porch" . The room was comfortable, the bathroom was cozy, and the view out back was gorgeous. If you just want somewhere to lay your head because you're going to stay on the go - then consider the Cardinal Inn.

My only complaint is I couldn't get my computer up & running despite wi-fi access (small thing).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

The sheets were not changed. There was someone else's hair all over the sheets. Then my girlfriend got bitten by bed bugs. We left immediately and asked for a refund. The man who answered the phone (with a strong accent) refused. I was asked to pay for the first 4 hours, which I refused. I wanted a full refund. Finally, I went through my credit card company to revoke the charge.

DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

We stayed in room108. It seems we were the only guests at the motel. We were given the "best" room (I think). Yes, the furniture was outdated but the room was clean and there were no bugs. The TV reception was a little grainy and the TV was old. The bed was comfortable and the bedding appeared to be fresh.

We were given a lesser rate as walk-ins. We only needed to stay overnight and after going to the caverns, driving around taking in the view, dinner and a movie: we only needed the room to sleep and got an early start in the morning. There was coffee, juice, doughnuts, danish and a newspaper. We went out for a hot breakfast. The motel personnel was friendly and helpful with directions.
It is a mom and pop motel and I wasn't expecting the Hilton. Clean and safe works for me.

I would not want to spend over $85.00 for the room if I were staying longer and expected to spend a lot of time in the room.

Northville, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

This motel is SO old and very few updates have been made. The stall shower had black mold all around the base of the bottom and down along the sides. The bed was hard and creaked every time you moved. The carpeting was dingy and dirty. Cheap brass makeup mirror/stand with no overhead light or elec. plug. Cable to TV snaked out from the outlet box, up one side of the doorframe, down the next side and then into the TV (what a patchjob!) Now I know why they had a 2 day cancellation policy... Because once you checked in and saw the room, you would want to leave, but they still have your money for 1 night. Found this motel on the Shenandoah National Park website and it was AAA approved. I think AAA better make another house call to this place. Save your money!

Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

When we first checked in, the toilet in our room did not flush. They put us in another room. Paint peeling on the walls. Very old room. Dirty walls near the headboards. No radio with alarm clock. No mini fridge which we requested. The microwave was on the floor right as you enter the room so we kept tripping over it. The room was non-smoking but smelled bad. Air conditioner was so loud when it was on, it made it difficult to sleep at night. Lady at check in was not pleasant. I would not recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

This is a basic independent motel on one story. I stayed in a King room which includes a mini-fridge and microwave (which worked well) and a small sink set in some incredibly crude unfinished cabinetwork. The A/C was cold, the hot water hot, the water pressure good, and the mattress hard. Tiny, greasy towels. Polyester curtains and bedding. Dim lighting. No bugs. It was quiet the nights I stayed there but the place was almost empty. The location itself is quiet (on the edge of town). The room was adequately clean, if a little shabby. For those who need it, my cellphone never saw any Wi-Fi in the room; check it out first if you need to work there. At $80 I think it is about 25% too expensive for what you get, but this seems to be true of every place in Luray. A lot of the traffic is from Washington and this keeps the local prices high.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Cardinal Inn? Share your experiences!