“Higher hopes...” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Maryland
“Higher hopes...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ok. So let's break this review into two separate parts; food and drink.

Food:
I had read some of the previous reviews concerning the food coming from the kitchen of the Speakeasy. I will admit I was apprehensive, and to my relief, I found the negative reviews to be mistaken. I enjoyed my prime rib, correctly cooked to medium rare, and served with whipped potatoes and green beans. My girlfriend also enjoyed her fish, cooked perfectly and served with asparagus and wild rice. Paired with a $10 bottle of, so-so red wine, it made for a nice dinner at a reasonable price. Our waiter was prompt, polite and attentive. In all, the dining experience was enjoyable.

Drinks:
I am not, nor do I pretend to be a pretentious liquor snob. I am just as likely to drink a Miller Lite during a sports game, while at the same time I enjoy a well made and proper cocktail while dining out. With this in mind, I was slight surprised when a bar that fashions itself after an era where drinks were made properly and with the correct ingredients.

Now granted, I did not expect Speakeasy to be a mecca for mixology, however I do expect that a bartender know that a Manhattan should be made with rye (which they had on hand), served neat and not drowned in both vermouth and ice. When it comes to the classics, presentation and proportion count almost as much as the ingredients. And why mess with the classics?! A drink menu featuring a "new" old fashioned? The ingredients immediately screamed an overly sweet, sickly concoction.

Bottom line, had just a minute of extra time been spent to property prepare a drink, a proper drink, in the correct fashion, this place would have not only received a higher review, but also made the entire stay at the Mimslyn Inn a top-notch event.

Visited April 2013

71% Recommend
Alexandria, VA
“Time to Unwind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place has great food and a relaxed atmosphere. Good wine list and full bar. The Jager Schnitzel is particularly good, and the onion/garlic dip with chips is really worth the sacrifice of giving up the "I'll never eat potato chips again" pledge for at least one day.

Visited April 2013
Richmond, VA
“Great late night dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had the special of the night and it was wonderful! There was a wait to get a seat as the restaurant is in the basement and not very big but I was very pleased with the quality of the food.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The food was pricey for what it was, and not that great. You could skip this experience. The live music on Thursday night was pretty good though- acoustic covers were nice to hear.

Visited March 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Mingle with the locals!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed in the Mimslyn Inn and the lovely Circa 31 restaurant was closed (off season, they only open for dinner on weekends) so we ventured downstairs to the Speakeasy and were glad we did. The food is typical bar fare. We got fish and chips and our meal of plentyful and reasonably priced. There was live acoustic music which was enjoyable and the locals were friendly and entertaining.

Visited March 2013

Been to Speakeasy Bar? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Speakeasy Bar, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.