“What great hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn of the Shenandoah

You added The Inn of the Shenandoah to your Saves list
The Inn of the Shenandoah
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   138 East Main Street, Luray, VA 22835 (Formerly The Victorian Inn)   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
Nuneaton
“What great hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed at this inn for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The inn keeper made us very welcome and went the extra mile to make us feel totally at home. We spent a couple of evenings chatting to her and her family about anything and everything which was particularly enjoyable. The accommodation in an old Virginian house was excellent as were the breakfasts. The complimentary bottle of wine was an additional nice touch. There is a rail line a short distance away which has a few trains running on it and some might find it a slight irritation but the benefits of the accommodation out way this inconvenience. If you are looking for comfortable accommodation in Luray at a sensible price you will find this hard to beat.

Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

From the moment we pulled up to the second we left Anne and staff were awesome. The room was great, the bathroom was literally huge!! Tub was perfect after a long day of shopping, eating and tours. Breakfast the next morning was unreal!!! Goat cheese spinach and mushroom omelettes....fantastic. I will be staying here again, and highly recommend it to anyone/everyone. Do NOT stay in a big hotel, stay here!!!

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Feeling so sleep deprived after just one night, but then had a 3 night stay and was exhausted by the end of our mini-vacation. I can't say enough praise for the Innkeeper Ann, and the chef Larry, and also Gloria. They did everything to make our stay wonderful. From the complementary wine, sodas, water and snacks and the multiple course gourmet breakfasts to the casual social time on the front porch, the on-site staff are top notch in service. However, the B&B building itself has negative issues. First of all it is on main street and only blocks from the fire station and the railroad tracks. This means noise 24 hours a day including train whistles every 45 minutes all night long! The old(thin glass) windows and walls do not filter out noise from the outside or from the adjoining rooms. We both used earplugs and still struggled to find sufficient quiet for sleep. Then there is the actual accommodations. The beautiful rooms are wonderful for viewing and the towels and sheets were soft; however; the bed in the Orchid room is HARD, not just firm, but extremely hard, like sleeping on the floor. When we asked why they didn't at least buy a mattress topper for it, we were told that the owners wouldn't provide funds for any improvements. That is just incredible, and if they had ever tried to sleep in the bed or the that room they would understand our complaint about not being able to sleep in there. Besides the noise and the rock-hard bed, the thermostat for the rooms was located in a shared hall at the top of the stairwell; thus when the bedroom doors were closed (most of the time) the rooms would not get the benefit of having the thermostat. If it were winter it might be alright since we had a space heater in the very large bath/dressing room and also a gas heater/fireplace in the bed room. But it was mid-May and very hot, thus the lack of air conditioning being used in the first floor of the house just billowed hot air from downstairs to the upstairs, and since the room did not have a ceiling fan, it was hot, humid and noisy, and with a bed like a rock, it was three nights of little sleep for us. Which is a shame because Larry, Ann and Gloria did everything to make our stay wonderful and gave recommendations for places to go and visit and to eat. They do what they can with the funds the owner's allow them to have to run it. At least the meals were special. Our breakfasts were the highlight of our stay. Coffee and tea and orange juice, mini-muffins, omelettes, waffles, fresh fruit plates, sausages and bacon, asparagus, and in generous amounts! Not necessarily the healthiest breakfast if you are heart health conscious, but definitely a great start to a day of hiking or museum visits. Also note that the dining room is on the first floor just outside the kitchen. Without the benefit of air conditioning being used or ceiling fans, it became very hot while eating the breakfasts and though the staff was wonderful, they also looked as if the heat was bothering them too. If we had been able to sleep with comfort then I could have given this B&B and the staff a 5 with no reservations, however, with the multiple issues, heat, noise, hard bed, preventing even a partial night of sleep, I can at best give it a 3 as sleep is what is needed the most when you travel and plan to have a day of vigorous hiking. I hope the owners read this and pay attention that they won't get repeat visitors if they don't do something to make the room comfortable for sleeping.

Room Tip: Avoid the Orchid room.
Manchester, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This B&B was a very nice little surprise!! The hosts, Anne, Lary and Janine were absolutely wonderful. Very friendly and wanting to please. The house was beautiful, the room was quiet, private & clean. Lary did a wonderful job with presenting our breakfast each day - delicious :) We are looking forward to another visit over the fall.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This B&B is wonderful. The hosts, Larry, Ann and Gloria, went the whole 9 yards to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The breakfasts are home cooked, a different menu everyday (and we stayed 7 days) and completely delicious, my favourite was the Eggs Benedict. The room was spacious with a very clean shower room and a snug with a sofa and TV.
We really felt like The Inn was a 'home from home' and we spent many enjoyable hours on the balcony (often with a glass wine!) and the front porch. Nothing was too much trouble including sorting out a taxi so we could attend a wedding, providing plates, cutlery etc so we could 'picnic' and lots of useful advice on places to go and things to see. When we return to Luray we will be staying here.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Upon arrival we were greeted by the Inn Keeper Ms. Ann, she stole my heart! The tour of the house was perfect she showed everything that was open to use and explained the need to knows, places to eat and things to do all by the time she concluded the tour.

She left herself asscessible for questions and needs if needed and was the perfect host. Being my first time in a B&B I was not sure of what to expect.

What you can expect from this place is like being at home surrounded by friends with none of the hostess responsibility. No one was a stranger for longer then 2 seconds Ms. Ann seen to that; everyone in this town was so nice and easy to talk to. Other visitors were so nice and a joy to hold conversations with over breakfast.

The food was amazing my favorite two things were the waffles and the biscuits! I was so sad to have only stayed for two days because each day was a new breakfast!

The room was magnificent!!! The jetted tub was fab and the rooms were homey and easy to get comfortable in. The house all throughout was spotless the beds comfortable bathrooms cleaned well stocked. In our room I believe was the willow had a sitting area for TV with a mini electric fire place that produced heat if you wanted or just something to look at or both. I hate the TV being on while I sleep so that separation was perfect for me.

I went with a friend and I cannot wait to experience this with my love on a kid free visit.

You won't know unless you go how great this staff is everyone from the kitchen to those who tidy up. I never thought I would make friends on a vacation but I will miss them all until I see them again!

110% recommended. I can't wait to go back to my second home!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2015

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in April 2015. It was exactly what we needed! The staff was so nice and welcoming. Ann and Larry were there to greet us and made us feel so welcomed. The breakfast each day was amazing and well needed for a day of hiking and such in the beautiful Shenandoah. I would definitely recommend to anyone!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn of the Shenandoah? Share your experiences!